It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Helping Japan and Rating Charities Before You Give

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Many people have money in Japan, but they can't spend it, or use it due to the shortages, commerce halted and power outages.

Many relief organizations are bringing needed supplies, but we also need to be cautious on who we donate our money to.

So which ones are credible, well I am not exactly sure, but maybe we can compile a list, since we have allot of skeptics on ATS.

Here is a link that helps to navigate charities.

Find a Charity You Can Trust
Charity Navigator, America's premier independent charity evaluator, works to advance a more efficient and responsive philanthropic marketplace by evaluating the financial health of over 5,500 of America's largest charities.

Charity Navigator

What Japans needs?

Many people are going to need immediate food and shelter, so canned goods, blankets, non-perishable foods, tents, clean water are important.

Doctors Without Boarders

Mods may edit the OP, to add links

Peace out RT
edit on 15-3-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
More than money it appears they need supplies here is an article.

"More Than Money, Japan Needs a "Berlin Airlift" of Supplies"

Airlifting Supplies to Japan

What Japan needs now, Auslin says, is for the U.S. to organize an operation like the Berlin Airlift of 1948-49. That Cold War mission proved successful in getting supplies to blockaded portions of the German capital. With the threat of the nuclear plant disaster growing, Auslin speculates Japan will also need more in terms of iodine and other decontamination supplies.

Getting to the most devastated regions is still proving difficult and supplies in the region are running low. "You have millions without basic necessities and there is almost no way to get them these necessities in bulk because roads are washed out, airports are inoperable, port are gone. You have to use helicopters."

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Everyday we submit our prayers and everyday someone one new joins to those prayers. Thank you all for coming together and praying for the victims and their families.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by lvlyeyes
Everyday we submit our prayers and everyday someone one new joins to those prayers. Thank you all for coming together and praying for the victims and their families.

Prayers are a good thing too.

It seems when we can't just get in a car and go to help them, many times we are limited by the things we can do.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Really terrible what happened and wish the Japanese all the best.
Was a bit surprised to read in the paper that they didn't want South Africa's dog team (trained to sniff out bodies and survivors), and they don't want our doctors.
That was a bit of a slap in the face, but the SA delegation accepted the decision.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
and they don't want our doctors.
That was a bit of a slap in the face, but the SA delegation accepted the decision.

Not yet they don't.

I would wager it will change relatively soon, but thanks for the bit of information.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
just from seeing the devastation on television I'd venture to guess that they're biggest immediate need would be BUILDING SUPPLIES. Lumber, concrete materials, tools, nails, supplies.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
On a note about charities, I want to point out something with one that I know of..

When 9/11 happened the red cross collected over a billion dollars for the victims of that event.. After the US went to war with Afghanistan the Red Cross started telling people who was asking for the money(9/11 victims) that the money was now a wartime fund.. Do a search on ATS about this because it was covered on here.. If I were to donate anything to anyplace, I would donate items not money, that way you know the items might get to where its going.

::EDIT::

I want to add a post i did over a yr ago about Haiti..

Link here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
Red Cross ripping people off is nothing new..

9/11/01... Remember the big ass drive they had on tv a few days after that to "Donate" to the victims of that day...

Well long story short they did raise quite a bit of money.. after they declared war on Afghanistan they stated to the victims that they arent allowed to have anyone of the "Donated" money because it is now a wartime fund.

If i donated I do what the one guy above said.. give food, clothes, and necessities.. I do not trust big game charities because they are more likely to rip you off blind..

I will try and find a link to this and get back but I am sure some 9/11 researchers remember this.

::EDIT::

Below is some of what I was talking about.... Total raised by this fund was 2.7 billion dollars.. They victims of 9/11 seen very little of it.

Here is some info on this..

In response to the terrorist attacks, the American public donated unprecedented
amounts of money to charities nationwide. Questions were raised about where the
money was going and whether the victims and their families had access to the
donated money in a timely manner. To help assure victims and donors that the
money was getting to the intended beneficiaries promptly, hearings were held in the
U.S. House of Representatives on November 6 and 8, 2001. New York Attorney
General Eliot Spitzer testified, as did representatives of the Better Business Bureau
Wise Giving Alliance, among others. The American Red Cross was particularly
questioned because of concern that part of the $1 billion raised would be held in
reserve rather then spent on the 9/11 victims as was expected by the people who
donated the money. Subsequently, Red Cross officials declared that all the funds
raised for the Liberty Disaster Relief Fund would be distributed to 9/11 victims.

This is a pdf if you wanna read it.
:: MORE EDIT::

To date, the Red Cross has spent more than $140 million on services related to the Sept. 11 attacks. Nearly $44 million of that has been distributed to more than 2,200 affected families to help cover housing, childcare, food, and other expenses for about three months.

Another $67 million has been spent on immediate disaster relief needs, such as onsite food, shelter and other support for rescue workers and victims' families, the Red Cross said.

The organization expects to spend about $300 million through the next year on other terrorism-related efforts. The remaining funds, totaling more than $200 million, will be held in trust for victims of the terrorist attacks in future years, said Chief Financial Officer Jack Campbell.

Faux News

[edit on 1/19/2010 by ThichHeaded]

edit on 3/15/2011 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I would like to make a post in your thread. I was on the other Japan thread and I noticed you put your link up. I am going to ramble on for a minute on how I feel about some charities. I mean no disrespect and I will try to explain myself as well as I can.....

I try to donate what I can, when I can. There are so many charities with everybody wanting your money that it is a crisis all in its own. I know that you are supposed to do your homework, but I wish that these charities would specify where your money is going a little better.

My money is very tight, so tight that I cannot afford a bank account. I live paycheck to paycheck, load a few bucks on the walmart money card, to make a few purchases on Ebay(very few). However I do not mind giving 5 or 10 bucks to help someone out. I am considering loading 20 dollars on the card and making a donation to Japan.

This leads to my fear. I have not seen to much of a difference in Haiti. I know that a record amount of money was donated to them.(If it wasn't a record, it was staggering). They are still struggling and from what I see they could use the 20 bucks. Where did all of that money go. I know that some is being spent, but I feel that fraud or something is going on. I do not wish to help the gangsters(whoever is running the show).This is all I will say, as not to ramble on and offend anyone.

I am not trying to sound selfish. I donate to local charities around town and at the gas stations when I can. My mother got help from FEMA and Habitat for Humanity. I donate to Habitat when she has to collect donations up town. I do this regardless of my religous beliefs.(I do not agree with handing out bibles and such), but anayways.This is about making sure that what little money I can donate goes to where it is needed because if not, I sure could use it. I need it.

Sorry to ramble in a choppy way but I wanted to state a few of my concerns and fears. I know there is alot of suffering going on and I am not trying to take away from that. As stated, I am considering telling the girlfriend to put a few bucks on the card to donate. I know that you stated a charity in the op. Is that the charity you would give to?

EDIT: Oh, and S&F
edit on 15-3-2011 by liejunkie01 because: EDIT

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Star to the above poster.

For the record, I did start my reply before he left his.(referring to Haiti and the fraud I believe happened)
edit on 15-3-2011 by liejunkie01 because: again not trying to sound selfish

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
I would like to make a post in your thread. I was on the other Japan thread and I noticed you put your link up. I am going to ramble on for a minute on how I feel about some charities. I mean no disrespect and I will try to explain myself as well as I can.....

That's what this thread is about, thank you for your input.

We need to talk about this candidly and openly, so we can make good decisions, especially since we can't help with our hands.

Many of us have been burned by so called charities, so to "Deny Ignorance" on this one is a good thing.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
During crisis times like this, I have found that giving to my Church's Humanitarian relief fund eases my mind about what is done with my money. After Sumatra, they worked with the Red Crescent to supply what is needed, not just a bunch of stuff. At the time, they needed body bags badly, so that is what was sent. Later they sent medical supplies and food where it was needed and what was needed, in other words, food familiar with the people they were helping. We got blasted for working with the Islamic version, but religion doesn't matter to us, and sending things into a predominately Muslim nation from a Christian church is not always welcome. They also send water purification systems, as the problem is seldom lack of water, it is lack of clean water.
They did the same with Haiti, Louisiana, famine in Africa (remember "We are the World?"....we provided the largest donation of anyone on the planet)......they are there with the supplies waiting and the logisitics figured out before the need arises, which usually means we are one of the first large contributors to any scene. And we work with the groups who are the best run, so we know that what we sent is delivered and put to use by the people who need it. And we sent the people needed, too.
So, if you can help, research who you send it to, what they are capable of supplying, how fast they are able to get the supplies on site, how much of the donation is "administrative" (the Humanitarian division for my church is running 24/7/365, always ready, and is funded by the Church, so there are no administrative funds taken from donations), and what they will be sending.
Giving is great, but giving poorly is not much help to anyone.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
One way to help out Japan is if you're going shopping pick up something that was made in Japan!Help Japan by buying some of their products.

Maybe there is Japan earthquake fund in Japan that you can send money to.Instead of donating to a middle man it goes directly to Japan.

Maybe someone could make some dolls or stuffed animals or buttons and sell them and give the money towards earthquake victims.They could have Save Japan written on them.Or love or something to that effect.

Maybe there is a way to help out Japanese families directly?Online somehow.Paypal?There are tons of ways.

top topics

join