French nuclear agency now rates Japan accident at 6

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

French nuclear agency now rates Japan accident at 6

www.reuters.com

France's ASN nuclear safety authority said on Tuesday the nuclear accident at Tokyo Electric Power Co's Fukushima Daiichi plant could now be classed as level six out of an international scale of one to seven.

"We are now in a situation that is different from yesterday's. It is very clear that we are at a level six, which is an intermediate level between what happened at Three Mile Island and Chernobyl," ASN President Andre-Claude Lacoste told a news conference in Paris on Tuesday.

"We are clearly in a catastrophe," Lacoste added, citing the deterioration of the containment
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Nuclear emergency as Fukushima cooling system fails after Japan quake!
Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake
edit on 15-3-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
These really are uncharted waters...

This is really going to be one of the most impactful events of our lifetime. I heard early on of analogies to 9/11 when all this started. I now think those comments were quite right.

This disaster seems to have no end.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
S&F

And Germany has shut down a number of her reactors just in case (all the pre 1980s ones)

in case of what? they'll get hit by a massive earthquake or a Tsunami???

Bloomberg linky

The federal government and premiers of the German states where nuclear-power stations are located agreed that facilities “that began operation before the end of 1980 are being stopped for the duration of the moratorium,” Merkel said after a meeting in Berlin today.

I really feel for the Japanese people right now, but the Germans taking this route simply makes the situation seem not only worse, but political games are coming into play, which will impact the markets and be fed back to the Japanese markets kicking them again while they are down, as if they did not have enough to deal with.

Add the French over rating the incident (compared to global bodies) and it seems they know something that we do not know (yet)

I really hope this gets contained and does not get any uglier than it already has.

edit on 15/3/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
These really are uncharted waters...

This is really going to be one of the most impactful events of our lifetime. I heard early on of analogies to 9/11 when all this started. I now think those comments were quite right.

This disaster seems to have no end.

S & F - good find.

Especially when you consider that France gets 80% of it's power from nuclear plants. Gives what they say some real credibility.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Some additional context:

'A level below Chernobyl'

The nuclear accident at Japan's Fukushima power plant has reached a '6' on an international scale, just one notch below the absolute maximum, France's nuclear safety agency said on Tuesday (March 15). A level of seven has only been reached once -- during the 1986 Chernobyl accident in the then Soviet Union.

Japanese authorities classed the Fukushima accident as a level '4' on Saturday, the day after a gigantic quake followed by a tsunami killed thousands. But Andre-Claude Lacoste, head of the French nuclear safety authority said that was clearly no longer the case.

"It's clear we're at level 6, that's to say a level that is between what happened at Three Mile Island and what happened at Chernobyl," he told reporters referring to the worst nuclear incident to take place in the U.S. in 1979.

Agnes Buzyn, a senior official with the French radiological protection agency indicated that doses of radiation that workers were receiving while battling to make the reactors safe were clearly toxic. "We have a strong suspicion that the doses received by the workers are toxic, and I said it yesterday... heroic. So we're worried about the health of the workers and their ability to continue their job on the site over the long term," she said.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

IMHO, this if far, far worse than either 9/11 or Chernobyl.

Japan is a densely populated country with a top 5 economy in the world.
Besides the horrendous impact on the population
, there will be far-reaching outcomes to much of the globe: human, environmental, economic.
The planet is FOREVER changed.

You were right, totally uncharted territory

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

I agree.

I'm still trying to absorb the implications.

This is such a sad, sad time.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
reply to post by loam

IMHO, this if far, far worse than either 9/11 or Chernobyl.

Japan is a densely populated country with a top 5 economy in the world.
Besides the horrendous impact on the population
, there will be far-reaching outcomes to much of the globe: human, environmental, economic.
The planet is FOREVER changed.

You were right, totally uncharted territory

And in reaction the process of closing nuclear plants is under-way, which will feed into global energy prices which in turn will make it that much more expensive to reconstruct Japan!

Talk about kicking the Japanese when they are down, and if this gets worse, mixed with a rebelling ME (Saudi troops killed today in Bahrain) it'll drive us into a energy black hole.. talk about mega negative downward spirals..

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Actualy,6 are going to be shut down for those 3 Months to check them (which is too short in my Opinion),the seventh,Neckarwestheim 1, is going to be shut down permanently (this was reported just a few Minues ago)

And one thing you should consider,we have a Pro-Nuclear Goverment right now,and them shutting down Plants because of the Disaster in Japan is a huge thing for one. Second,Germany is pretty much one of the safest Places on this Planet concerning Natural Disasters...
edit on 15-3-2011 by Shenon because: spelling,just got out of Bed >- extra DIV

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
One wonders if these Nuclear plants have Siemens chips running automated systems.

Could stuxnet have unintended consequences ?

Cosmic...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

Thanks for the clarification
tho I do wonder what the outcome will actually be if the proposed stress testing of all reactors comes into force in Europe..

EU considers nuclear stress tests

if the situation gets any worse in Japan the effects on the Japanese psyche is going to be horrendous, not to mention the global impact...

My hopes go with those who are trying desperately to fix the problems.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Hopefully, at the end of the day, when this is all over and when all things considered we will finally see nuclear power is not the answer and must find other options. The cons in this case out weigh the pros as there is no reason why this could not happen anywhere else just as easily. Cheaper is not better.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

Stuxnet was highly specific (by all reports) - It was made for the sole purpose of hitting the Siemens equipment that controlled the centrifuges - I don't think that is a problem for the power stations because they do not have the centrifuges for refining the materials. In fact these reactors in Japan are MOX reactors, they actually (can) use surplus weapons grade material, so they have no need to enrich, they do quite the opposite.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

A good point, one that I haven't heard before.

When the reactors' cooling systems shut down, during the earthquake... was it because of well-timed industrial sabotage?

new topics
top topics

join

Haters, Bigots, Partisan Trolls, Propaganda Hacks, Racists, and LOL-tards: Time To Move On.
read more: Community Announcement re: Decorum