It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thumbs up Thumbs down System?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Originally posted by Majic
Accentuate The Positive
And if it is the aim of a rating system to decide what opinions are appropriate and what are not, then such a system is nothing more than a tool for imposing conformity.

I completely agree. To put it more plainly, a system like that can be close to outright censorship, especially where there is a group of members who all think the same way and thumb down en masse.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I thought we already had a thumbs up, thumbs down system:

edit on 3/16/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
Its about content not who gets the most attention, maybe then some of these ridiculous threads will get lost on the boards because the good ones will actually have a chance.

Agreed 100%.

So often (but not always) I've seen greatly presented threads that are rich in information be ignored. It then disappears quickly into obscurity while the newest nibiru / youtube ufo / baiting "I hate (insert any word here)" threads are the most "successful".

But that's the downfall of a user generated intellectual ecosystem I suppose.

The best advice given IMO, if you don't like it, don't read it. Rather, just spend some time digging around.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I agree with tothetenthpower

Evaluate all the posts for their content and respond to the ones that add meaningful discussion to the topic and ignore the obvious desultory posts
The Mods on here do a fantastic job of eliminating the off topic posts.
Leave it as is

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
In way we already do have a "thumbs down" system. When you have stars, the ones that don't have stars are the "thumbs down". Which is why I'm not a huge fan of the stars when they were added. It also hinders, whether you recognize it or not, your independence to determine which posts are valuable and which are not. It lessens your status as a thinker, your ability to consider. It creates a sort of conformity as well. "Why disagree when people have already decided this is orthodox". I'm not saying that people don't disagree, but overall it would have that tendency, I think its fair to say, to put up a barrier to whatever extent on varying ideas.

Personally, I like the equality when viewing posts, but its not equal when they are rated. I'd rather do my own rating.

edit on 16-3-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

edit on 23-3-2011 by tracehd1 because: dup

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

I came looking to which under what *grouping* I could post a suggestion. I stopped...I remembered my newbie training...Search for the topic first..but..what would someone *Post* *the* suggestion under?

thumbs down? That's what I would do...

You're as brilliant as I am.. just wanted to first point that out... lol

I would go with just the thumbs down/Star system and not the Flag system/thumbs down. The reason for which I say this is tucked in my brain and is un-willing to come out. I just think it's because the thought doesn't know how to present itself ....as of yet... lol

Anyways.. just wanted to say I soo soo soo agree...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Turq1

Wow... you make sense...

I was just hoping that when we ran across the most assholish of post..we could let them know without bashing them out in the open... more times then not I wish I could tell some to Foff... but since I'm a lady... I would be great if I could let someone know in a non-personal way so to speak...to let them know they're an idiot. IMO of course...lol lol

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

Well it does makes sense.

Problem with your idea is that some people would be gunning for thumbs down, like how others "enjoy" getting stars. You must not know the basics of the internet.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join