It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heros at Fukashima are taking their lives for us.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

Yeah, we have that one in England too. However, matey, just because we don't all share your views, doesn't mean you can throw insults around. We can all do that. See if you can decrypt this one wtta;

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
They're braver than me! I'm sitting in the comfort of my home and they're attempting to cool the belly of a nuclear beast! Wish you luck over there I wish none of this had happened but on hte bright side of things this event reminds us that we all live on the same planet and what happens in one country can affect another and every person on the earth matters not just our own.

I can stand on the shore of the pacific and look west and .. on the other side is asia. Not far away really if you think about it in terms of hte size of weather systems. I imagine one day people loook back on it and think we were silly for having different countries just because we were separated by bodies of water. "Oh look at them they're right next to eachother yet they live in different countries!"

Looking at the before and after images of destroyed japanese port towns and cities is making me ill. So much was lost that 10,000+ dead does not tell the story. Infrastructure was lost. All of this can be rebuilt but it's expensive. Imagine this is happening all across hte world bit by bit. Costs us time and money. And you go back 100 years and the idea makes you want to vomit. A massacre.

It could have been anyone. This disaster could have struck someone else. Like me, for example. Right now I could be dead or looking at rubble all around here in Oregon and Washington and along the NW coast. We will eventually get hit ourselves. It will be an ugly nightmare for many.

There're about 127 million people in japan. That's a lot of people to fit on what I imagine is a small land area compared to the US. When disaster strikes, it's like they all feel it.

California actually has more area than japan, but hard to tell here:
afe.easia.columbia.edu...

California has 37,000,000 people. Japan has 127,000,000 and less land area.
edit on 15-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
*bows*

どうもありがとうございました。

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Finally a decent thread on Japan amongst the 'OMG, END OF THE WORLD!' nonsense. You have to admire those 50, or so, people who stayed behind. Extremely brave. For a while, during the fire in reactor 4, they were exposed to roughly 400 millisieverts of radiation. 100 is enough to make a male sterile, and exposure to 100 millisieverts total in a year is enough to cause cancer a few years down the road according to research I've read. Obviously, given their line of work, they knew the risks they were taking in staying behind and still chose to do so. Admirable. Thankfully the radiation level around the plant has lowered, so hopefully the long term consequences for their health won't be too bad.
edit on 15-3-2011 by Project-Sign because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
In the case of Chernobyl there were guys who took the suicide mission to shovel sand on the core. I wonder if Japan has any heroes working like that.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocky Black

You and I have been at odds on issues before, but I wanted to say thanks for making this post. It is great to see this pointed out and I applaud you for being the one to do so. S&F For you.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Excellent post. These people are true heroes and should be honoured for their actions. How many of would have the courage to commit to this - really?
Pray, meditate, do whatever it is you do, and remember these beautiful souls who are risking everything.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Hats go off, I wonder if they are getting hazard pay...

I'm sure they are getting compensated quite well, as they should be.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Those brave noble ascended heros! Just like our beloveds of FDNY who died in the Trade Towers, they are dying in nulear Towers, because that is just who they are. I hope that I am HONERED to catch even a fleeting far away glimpse of them, in heaven, one day.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocky Black

I have to agree with this one.

They are probably real low level employees, and normally probably didn't have a dangerous job.
But now things have taken a turn for the worst, and they have to keep doing their job non-stop or a lot of people will suffer.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Admirable.
Courageous.
Inspiring.
Fearless.
Heroic.

I want to thank you and your families for sacrificing for us and the world. May The Lord bless them and keep them.

Shame on those who do not think twice before posting such insensitive replies on a thread like this.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I am not a man of faith but lately I have felt very close to everyone no matter what fate they are. Those who know that we are in a transition are taking notice, those who do not, have not a clue. Of all places, to deny anything is very ignorant. Bless all the spirits who have and will give there all.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
S+F for u

there should be more threads dedicated to true heroes like these

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
My hat is off to the men and women who stayed behind. The rest of the world can only learn by example, some might say that they are stupid, but such a selfless act is worthy of respect. When the rest of the world just watches, even the american carrier group is 100 miles off shore and wont go near. It just goes to show that any of our 1st world countrys in a similar position would be entirely on your own having to fend for yourself the best you can, i guess we can all learn from this which can only be a good thing, if at all there is any good to come from all this. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by this and i hope things arnt as bad as they actually seem for all our sakes.
edit on 15-3-2011 by chaztekno because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
If love is determined by the depth of ones actions,
then their actions are an example of the potential of selfless love.
Let it not go unremembered or unrequited.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Yahoo is finally reporting on them. Here is the link to the news story:

news.yahoo.com...

"Amid the horror and devastation of the nuclear crisis in Japan, it can be easy to miss the heroism of the 50 emergency workers trying to prevent the full meltdown of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear facility. It's not exaggeration to say that the safety of thousands of Japanese citizens hinges on the efforts of the crew of cleanup workers left behind after the remainder of the facility's roughly 800 employees have been evacuated amid hazardous levels of radiation. Even in a culture that places a premium on self-sacrifice, these ordinary workers are being extraordinarily selfless -- and could conceivably make the ultimate sacrifice for their fellow citizens' well-being."

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
God and Buddha in the same stereotypically religious sentiment?
Are you spiritually confused as to who should bless them?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Totally agree. Those workers must be working under some of the worst conditions imaginable, knowing that they are being exposed to high levels of radiation and at the same time having the mental pressure of trying to prevent a disaster that would devestate their country for many years to come.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
i have to agree with the OP. they are giving their lives to help the world. that alone should say somthing. japan will be in my prayers. way to go guys

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by cahlmac

It isn't just Japan they are trying to save at this point. A full meltdown would affect the whole world. They have my admiration and my gratitude, even though it may not mean much. They're sacrificing for all of us even if we don't realize it right now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join