It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey doesn't mind it's sitting on major fault lines... to build 2 nuclear power plants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Insanity I tell ya... but eh, they need the power.

Turkey to go ahead on nuclear despite Japan

And who might build one of those two? Tepco, of course.

Turkey will press ahead with plans for two nuclear plants, including one that may use Japanese technology, despite Japan's crisis and its own tendency to quakes, Energy Minister Taner Yildiz said on Monday.

Turkish energy officials have been in talks with Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) and Toshiba on building a nuclear power plant on its Black Sea coast. The government has already agreed with Russia's Rosatom to build its first plant on the Mediterranean.

One on the coast of the Black Sea and one on the coast of the Mediterranean... Very near the fault line (image)

Remember those earthquakes in Turkey...

Earthquake of Antioch in 526 : 250 000 dead

Earthquake of Izmit in 1999 : 17 000 dead

Earthquake of Erzincan in 1939 : 160 000 dead

Now let's hope Tepco and Rosatom do a good job and that Turkey isn't hit by a big earthquake...

Because considering how the Turkish government acts when an earthquake happens (very poorly) we don't want to see what would happen if a Japanese-type scenario occurred in Turkey.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
3 major quakes in 2500 years? I reckon it's worth the risk.

And no, no one alive remembers the quake in Antioch in 526....sheesh! (:lol)

Japan has 55 operating reactors..err 53½.

I don't see the problem, wish Australia would embrace nuclear energy more..better than stinking coal!

edit on 15/3/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
i cant see any problem using nuclear power plants. i just cant understand why our politics so hurry. they need stop and think about plans after see japans.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

I don't see the problem, wish Australia would embrace nuclear energy more..better than stinking coal!

edit on 15/3/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

With you on that one - perhaps we are waiting for cold fusion

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

You wish Australia would embrace Nuclear? ,Just turn off your lights and air conditioner.Seriously Whats the point when people have this attitude.Why not move to Japan asap ,they have 50 odd ,even building one next to a volcanoe.Should keep your energy desires quenched. Same goes for you above.
edit on 15-3-2011 by 12voltz because: of the inevitable consequences

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Mate, my state is powered mostly by dirty stinking coal, nuclear power has copped an unfair wrap.

If you compare coal with nuclear, nuclear wins hands down.

It's come a long way since Chernobyl you know.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

The world has a power shortage so I imagine nuclear power will be on the up and up, mind you and I grant you in Australia we have other opportunities to generate power and the space to do it. From tomorrow I'll be almost self sufficient from a power point of view. As far as turn the lights out and aircon off - head up here.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Nuclear ,humans are not smart enough to be messing around with that ,if we were then the safety record would be 100%.Coal ,filthy stinking coal,Leave that in the ground as well ,I cant believe we still use coal,what an outdated (by a couple of hundred years)method of making steam.People think they know it all,we dont know s#it.They will look back on us in the future and say F me ,what a bunch of halfwits Going forward ?yeah right,This is the only road we are driving down here www.youtube.com...

edit on 15-3-2011 by 12voltz because: the video didnt work

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Yeah I can agree, it's just that I don't see renewable energy being utilized properly here,

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Excuse my ranting,The nuclear/coal energy issue is one of the few things that get me fired up,I dont really have the skills or knowledge to be part of the bigger discussions on here and usually just throw in a message from the lighter side .The alternative energy push is still in its infancy and as such is looked upon as a novelty but one of my favourite views when i travel around Oz ,is seeing massive wind turbines dominating the skyline.Anyway whats happening around the world at this moment is bigger than any of these issues.

new topics

top topics

join