It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

``Chernobyl on steroids`` happening RIGHT NOW

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
bbc radio news just reported a "slight decline in radiation levels" at the plant... vague

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Here is Wikipedia's time-line of the disaster. They show a status chart presumably from Tokyo Electric? Yesterday the status for reactor #4's core cooling systems one and two were listed as "not necessary". Today is says "not functioning". That tells me the reactor core temp is possibly rising in #4. I also read elsewhere that the temperature in reactor cores in #5 and #6 are slowly rising.

For reactor #1 is says there is no water and they are not injecting sea water. Makes me wonder if they just gave up on that one and are letting the fuel rods melt.

en.wikipedia.org...

Here is some more info on the disaster from Wiki
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Hi,

Just for the record the 'official' death toll from the Chernobyl disaster is, as far as i last checked a few years ago, around 60 with the vast majority of those still emergency workers who did their jobs and rushed in to put out fires and get some material on the practically exposed cores. The fact that many had no time to take anywhere near full precuations or wear protective clothing played a large part in the number of early deaths. Compared to Chernobyl the situation in Japan is expertly managed and well under control and certainly not worth panicking about unless your one of said emergency workers trying to keep things under control there.

I agree that we do not need radioactive particulate matter in our atmosphere but compared to the atomic testing in the middle decades of this century and the continued burning of coal ( yes burning coal releases truly vast quantities of radioactive particulate matter every year) these type of accidents are a serious threat only to those who live nearby and those who have taken no precautions. Since they have already evacuated people up a ten mile radius and have issued iodine tablets in nearby areas there might still be fatalities at the plants in emergency related work but probably nothing more than that.

As for those who suggest that the Japanese are making a mess of this i should be understood that if we can not trust the Japanese to operate nuclear power plants, earthquakes or not, no one should and we should just go back to coal despite the fact that it releases by far more radioactive matter on a yearly basis.

Oh well,

Stellar

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

Truly horrific. Like something out of a bad movie.

So how long before any number of the 30 million + people on the Japanese peninsula start dropping dead due to severe radiation toxicity?

How do you even begin to develop a plan to evacuate 30 MILLION people?

You can't.

Take a tip from "28 Days Later"...
And watch "The Day After" for timetables on keeling over.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by StellarX

But those people at cernobyl got evacuated, and the workers that came in went in to cover the reactor, bury it under ground . We are not seeing this in Japan.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
The only possible good I can see coming from this is new life for coal-fired power plants.
At least we know what the danger is with that.

Even if these reactors do melt down where can all these people go?
My soul aches for Japan.
If tears could fix the problem it would be over by now.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

Except that the People in Chernobyl City and Prypyat were evacuated 4 days after the incident, so the evacuation did nothing to help them as those people already had their big share of radiation.

And i thought they do evacuate people in Japan. The expanded the evacuation zone to 30 kilometers now or even more already. So they do something.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The so called experts on Fox and CNN are conveniently ignoring the millions of people that Chernobyl affected, Thousands with birth defects still today, the thousands who now have cancer and will have for as long as they live around the fall out area. Scientist who still today work at Chernobyl are dying as they fight to contain and study it. The rads are so bad there when they tried to do clean up with a robot it committed suicide as it drove off the building as its wires and circuits melted.

Many brave men tried to bury the uranium and they have all since died. If they were smart they would start building a massive wall around this nuke site and pump it full of concrete.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Not to make light of things...but they told everyone to STAY INSIDE....like that is going to make a difference. You have to come out! And sealing yourself inside with windows and doors sealed only works for so long.

All this reminds me of the 50's and 60's when in school they told us if we "see the bright FLASH...duck and cover!" Like that would help.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
i found this bit of info and thought it was interesting
read through it and check it out

japan

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Time will tell, however, it's very unlikely. Chernobyl had no "containment vessel" like the one's we have now. I guess if all 30 Million people drop dead in 3 weeks, we will know, but it won't happen and the news is more than likely telling the truth.
edit on 15-3-2011 by Cedius4344 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78

But those people at cernobyl got evacuated, and the workers that came in went in to cover the reactor, bury it under ground . We are not seeing this in Japan.

The Ukraine is a large place. Russia is a huge country.

Japan is not. Japan doesn't have anywhere to evacuate TOO.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Sadly this seems to be going in one direction as they adjust the speil of the talking heads everyday..

the UKs sky news had a commentator on today, one of the guys who fought the fire at the Windscale** nuclear reactor in the late 1950s, and he kept choking on this notion of a "meltdown" I got the feeling he was trying to explain that what is happening is different/worse than we are being told...

** Windscale Fire, the UKs biggest nuclear accident

edit on 15/3/11 by thoughtsfull because: changed worst to biggest

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Why the hell do I keep reading that engineers have succesfully cooled down the rods and the danger seems to be subsiding then I read this?!?!
hahaha..because thats what the MSM do. Publish BS and LIES

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Cedius4344

Wow,the msm telling the truth?
Welcome to ATS, you have a lot to learn.
This is way way worse than what is being reported,wake up.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Family Member in the Navy has brought Radiation Poisoning to the States from Japan.....,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78

And the 'deadly' radiation cloud spread hundreds of miles across much of N Europe and into Britain.

With the result that a few weeks later some of us got sunstroke after drinking 'contaminated' water

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
bbc reporting 4th explosion at plant

oh dear

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I was reading the post and thought of the show Life After People by the History Channel and remembered their episode on Toxic Waste. Scary stuff....Watch the nuclear power plant after 10 days...starts at 9:47

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
are some of you just watching the news reports and reading ats without sleeping? i hope you guys get some rest in between the moments of checking ats and cnn and other news services. just reading the times in which responses are posted. i know as soon as i wake up i check to see what's happening on ats before i even watch tv. info here is pretty freaking fast. but kind of feel like i'm just watching and waiting for something to explode now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join