It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Casey - The kid who had enough of being bullied!

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Where did you get "embarressing" from humiliating, demeaning or degrading are not embarrassing, farting in public is embarrassing, if your pants falll down while your carrying a basket of groceries in each arm that would be embarrassing ect. What happened in the video was an attemp to humiliate, demean and degrade Casey however it ended up humiliating, demeaning and degrading the aggressor and his associates. The reason embarressing is a different word is because it has a slightly different meaning. Nice try.
The law seems to only cover images so if you must it will still be possible to humiliate a person using text.

Originally posted by B.Morrison
Why aren't we talking about the new laws they are trying to pass off the back of this event????

in short anyone caught posting 'embarrassing' video's of other people without there consent would be breaking the law. If the law was passed people would be up for fines & jail time for repeat offenders. Furthermore all the news I've seen about this is backing the new law as a good Idea.

What defines 'embarrassing'? wouldn't a countries leader selling out its own people for a buck constitute as 'embarrassing' footage that leader would not want broadcast? wouldn't this essentially be 'censorship'?

seriously could this law not be abused in order to censor anything and everything?

www.adelaidenow.com.au...

The laws will make it an offence to knowingly take or publish humiliating, demeaning or degrading images of another person without their consent. Mr Rau said this could also involve images of people, originally taken with their consent, but then later used in a humiliating or nasty way - such as after a relationship had broken up.

concerned,
-B.M
edit on 06/03/2011 by B.Morrison because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by OneEyedMan

ah, I see, thanks for clarifying but I'm not saying that law would be a good one either, never was...

Peace,
-B.M
edit on 06/03/2011 by B.Morrison because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toecutter.
Where did you get "embarressing" from humiliating, demeaning or degrading are not embarrassing, farting in public is embarrassing, if your pants falll down while your carrying a basket of groceries in each arm that would be embarrassing ect. What happened in the video was an attemp to humiliate, demean and degrade Casey however it ended up humiliating, demeaning and degrading the aggressor and his associates. The reason embarressing is a different word is because it has a slightly different meaning. Nice try.
The law seems to only cover images so if you must it will still be possible to humiliate a person using text.

what do you mean 'nice try' what exactly was I 'trying' to do? I still say that that based on the things i've heard being said about 'saving peopls reputations' on tv whenever this proposed law was mentioned that it could easily be abused.

I'm not against protecting kids from cyber bullying, I'm against a vague & knee-jerk piece of legislation.

Peace,
-B.M

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by virraszto
reply to post by ararisq

I did watch the video. That's why I was confused when I read the article that I posted
titled
"Bully's angry mum wants victim to apologise "
www.dailytelegraph.com.au...

Don't know if anyone pointed this out yet, but here's your answer.

IN an article published in The Daily Telegraph yesterday headlined "Bully's angry mum wants victim to apologise", it was written that bully Ritchard Gale's mother Tina wanted her son's victim to apologise for slamming her son to the ground.

But she had, in fact, said she wanted her son to apologise to his victim.

The Daily Telegraph apologises for the error.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by B.Morrison

what do you mean 'nice try' what exactly was I 'trying' to do? I still say that that based on the things i've heard being said about 'saving peopls reputations' on tv whenever this proposed law was mentioned that it could easily be abused.

I'm not against protecting kids from cyber bullying, I'm against a vague & knee-jerk piece of legislation.

Peace,
-B.M

G'day B.M,

My appologies if I got it wrong but I thought you were trying to say that embarressing was the same as humiliating, degrading or demeaning while they are similar it will always be somebodies opinion which means what. I think they are quite different things. I can't answer what you were trying to do only you can. I made an assumption and for that i'm sorry.

The proposed legislation is far from being "knee jerk" have you not seen how often this happens and the serious damage that has been caused to young victims in the name of a humiliating and degrading video to upload to spewtube ? This is not a one off event and it is a damaging thing to do. I have always said it should be illeagal to even take another persons photo and publish it without their consent.

How would you like it to happen to you ? Some moron beats you up just they can post a video of your beating to youtube. How would the legislation be abused, if it did happen through a certain set of circumstances the defendant could argue that what they did was not in the league of humiliation or degradation. But best thing is don't post video's or photo's of people without their consent, simple.

Cheers

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darce
reply to post by dereks

But he took the hit and laughed it off man, I saw it.

Maybe the little guy got set up? How can we pretend to know what happened there?

He laughed it off??? Seriously? He didn't laugh it off, he was TERRIFIED to retaliate because there were at least 2 other punks just chomping at the bit to join in and pound on him.

You are so clueless when it comes to reading this whole situation, PLEASE don't ever have kids!! If they get bullied and take your advice they'll end up committing suicide or stealing your gun and wiping out a classroom.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by AntiNWO

Well part of the problem is that "experts" keep giving victims of bullying the same advice, walk away, rise above it, dont fight back.

NEWSFLASH EXPERTS- your strategy is NOT working. Bullying is not lessening because kids are trying to take your advice.

You have to make it cost the bully. The bully is making a simple cost benefit analysis and they choose the "safest" bet to torment. That includes pacifists. If you refuse to defend yourself at any cost, you are keeping yourself on the list of "safe targets."

New research shows that bullies are social climbers, they are trying to move up in the pecking order, and how they are doing it is by choosing a safe target to torment to make themselves look tough or powerful. They cant afford to lose, that would be counter productive. They have to have someone they can beat.

So parents, dont teach your kids to be punching bags. Teach them to fight back like a rabid ferret even if they think they will lose.

What victims of bullying have long known, and researchers are only just accepting;

www.couriermail.com.au...

Aggressive behaviour has long been linked to social incompetence, psychological difficulties or trouble at home, but the researchers found that bullying was an "instrument for social climbing."

Those approaching the top of the social hierarchy at school were more likely to pick on classmates, according to the study.

"I think a lot of kids think this is one way to gain or maintain social status," said study co-author Robert Faris, a University of California-Davis sociology professor.

edit on 17-3-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I think it is done on purpose to be honest. Teach em young that it is bad and shameful to fight back, teach em to be good sheep and to bow to the wolves. Just the conspiracy theorist in me I guess.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

You could be right. Its such retarded advice you really do have to question whether or not it is deliberately bad. It makes no sense on any level.

Although, "experts" did claim for years bullies were these sad dysfunctional figures and they appeared to believe their own bull#. Everyone in school knew this wasnt true, that the bullies were in the "popular" crowd. So maybe the experts really are that clueless.

Edit to add,

I dont know if you have ever heard of "crowd sourcing" which is tapping into the wisdom of the crowd, but on this topic, the crowd is pretty clear on what it recommends you do if you are being bullied. Fight like a savage, win or lose. Make sure the bully knows that even if he/she wins the fight, it is going to come at a high cost to them.
edit on 17-3-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

Dude!

"he who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby becomes a monster"

This is exactly what I am trying to say!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

You are probably entirely correct. I'm a Canadian, that's just how things work here.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I just watched the video after finding a working one on the Tube.

It's brutal for sure, but if you mess with a bull, you get the horns.

I hope the little guy is ok, since his leg did take a hard hit, but I also hope he learned something.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
It's obvious the bully"s parents failed at raising a child.

If your child goes through middle school or high school (not sure what it is over seas) with the goal of tormenting people and making their day worse, they deserve what they get.

And why am I not surprised about a lawsuit? From two failed parents.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I have not seen the video but from what i have read good on this kid for standing up for himself and hopefully he won't be bothered anymore but the sad thing is that he got punished for defending himself but let us hope that what he did din defense not go to his head and make him a bully aswell for then he is no better then the person who hurt him. For now he is suspended for protecting himself but before the judgement seat of god he will be treated as if he did nothing wrong.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
If i ever meet Casey i will shake his hand proudly!
This kid is my hero. And he shouldn't be expelled for protecting himself.
Pff, the bully can be glad it wasn't me. I wouldn't throw him on the ground i would swing his ass
around till his body flew off with me still holding his arms. I'm half black and half white.
I'm white skinned with an afro. So i think it's clear i got bullied alot when i was young. Untill i had enough
and slapped some kids around on the schoolyard. Never had any problem with a bully since then.

You go Casey!!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darce
reply to post by jfj123

Dude!

"he who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby becomes a monster"

This is exactly what I am trying to say!

Dude !
he who fights with monsters MIGHT TAKE CARE....

The reality is that too many people have allowed too many bullies to rule their lives for too long.
Bullies have tortured and abused the weak kids in schools.
Bullies have invaded other countries.
Bullies have installed virtual strip search machines in airports.
Bullies have violated The United States Constitution.
You see this is bigger than just Casey.
When we stopped fighting back, we lost much more than just our dignity.
We lost our freedoms.
We lost an entire country.

Entire generations of Americans have turned the other cheek, avoided confrontation, allowed bullies to rule and look where we are.

We all need to take a look at what Casey did and encourage the base behavior-and that is to stand up for ourselves.
If we all had a little more Casey in us, we'd have a country-
OF THE PEOPLE
BY THE PEOPLE
FOR THE PEOPLE
instead of a country
of the rich
by the rich
for the rich

If and until casey becomes the bully, he's the hero.

One last thing-casey was defending himself. He has the legal right to do so. PERIOD!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
damn that shrimp got pwned lol, that will tech him some respect, Bullies are nothing but people who are more animal than human otherwise why would you go around needlessly antagonizing people who just wana be left alone. If you dont like what i'm saying thats fine but dont expect me to care about why you think your point of view is superior to mine.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Standing up to yourself is a double-edged sword. Do this anywhere else and you're liable to get a knife in your gut, but it's good to see justice served. The bully got an important life lesson taught to him.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123

We all need to take a look at what Casey did and encourage the base behavior-and that is to stand up for ourselves.
If we all had a little more Casey in us, we'd have a country-
OF THE PEOPLE
BY THE PEOPLE
FOR THE PEOPLE
instead of a country
of the rich
by the rich
for the rich

Sometimes it takes a few years (in Caseys case) to hit that critical mass.

In groups of humans, it can take decades, centuries, even. But I just have a gut feeling we are really close to body slamming the bullies. And maybe not even on a national level this time. It kind of feels like there is a surge going through humanity as a whole that is making us want to body slam the elite on a global scale.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ker2010
reply to post by MrWendal

Yeah I guess your suppose to let someone beat the crap out of you and take it.

In the school's opinion yes. In my opinion...hell no! I fully support anyone who stands up for himself.

However, my post was about the "zero tolerance" policies of many schools and that policy is not opinion, it is fact. Many schools have a zero tolerance policy which means that if a student defends himself against an attack from another student, both students will face consequences. This zero tolerance policy is the same reason you see for kids being suspended or expelled from school for bringing a butter knife to lunch. It does not matter that it was brought so they can cut a sandwhich or butter their bread, it does not matter that the student did not use the butter knife in a manner in which is was not intended, it is still a weapon in the school's opinion and they will face consequences for bringing a "weapon" onto school grounds.

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join