It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MOX fuel in Reactor No. 3 is 2 MILLION TIMES more dangerous than enriched uranium!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Someone on the Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake 2 days ago posted a link about a study on MOX... and apparently nobody read the link... I did.

The MOX myth

The interesting part :

6.2.4 Accidents at MOX fabrication plants
Accidents at MOX fuel fabrication plants have occurred. In June 1991, the storage bunker of the MOX fuel fabrication plant in Hanau, Germany, was contaminated with MOX. It occurred after the rupture of a foil for container packaging in the course of an in-plant transportation process. Four workers were exposed to plutonium.29 This accident was the main reason the fabrication plant at Hanau was shut down.

In November 1992, a fuel rod was broken through a handling error, and MOX dust was released during the mounting of MOX fuel rods to fuel assemblies in the fuel fabrication facility adjoining the MOX facility in Dessel, Belgium. In the event of such accidents, if the ICRP recommendations for general public exposure were adhered to, only about one mg of plutonium may be released from a MOX facility to the environment. As a comparison, in uranium fabrication facility, 2kg (2,000,000mg) of uranium could be released in the same radiation exposure. A one mg release of plutonium can easily happen during various smaller incidents.30

The very very important part :

In the event of such accidents, if the ICRP recommendations for general public exposure were adhered to, only about one mg of plutonium may be released from a MOX facility to the environment. As a comparison, in uranium fabrication facility, 2kg (2,000,000mg) of uranium could be released in the same radiation exposure.

Basically for ONE mg of plutonium from MOX is as deadly to the environment as 2,000,000 mg of enriched uranium... So it's 2 million time more dangerous.... kinda.

And this happened to the Reactor 3...

Of course they say nothing leaked... but even if only ONE mg was leaked...

From August 2010 :
Third Japanese reactor to load MOX

Tokyo Electric Power Company's (Tepco's) Fukushima I unit 3 is set to become the third Japanese nuclear reactor to load mixed oxide (MOX) fuel after receiving approval from the governor of Fukushima Prefecture, Yukei Sato.

Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency has so far approved the use of MOX fuel in ten reactors, but utilities must also secure approval from prefectural governments before they can go ahead and use the fuel, which contains plutonium recovered from spent nuclear fuel.

But eh, all is safe!

UPDATE : Difference between a non-MOX reactor accident and one with MOX :
From the same link...

According to a comparative analysis of possible consequences of a core meltdown accident in the German Kruemmel nuclear power plant with and without the use of MOX fuel.38

* The radiation exposure from inhalation of radioactive materials during the passage of the radioactive cloud is higher by several dozen percentages than if U fuel elements were exclusively used.
* Radiation exposure through the route of inhalation of remobilized long-lived actinide isotopes is more than doubled.
* The land areas to become out of use by long-term contamination increases as the re-suspension pathway is a limiting factor and the greater part of the dose resulting from the pathway comes from the actinides.

So a MOX fueled reactor having an accident is worse due to the higher content of plutonium than a ``normal`` nuclear reactor.
edit on 15-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Star and Flag... I can only see this getting worse, I'm pretty sure that explosion at reactor 3 wasn't a propane tank... and I'm positive officials are lying to the public...

In fact I'm sure Japan is only wondering about one thing right now... how to evacuate half their population off their Islands... that reactor is more powerful than most in the world... the amount of radiation is extremely dangerous and hazardous to any living organism within a 60 mile area at least.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
From August 2010 :
Third Japanese reactor to load MOX

Tokyo Electric Power Company's (Tepco's) Fukushima I unit 3 is set to become the third Japanese nuclear reactor to load mixed oxide (MOX) fuel after receiving approval from the governor of Fukushima Prefecture, Yukei Sato.

Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency has so far approved the use of MOX fuel in ten reactors, but utilities must also secure approval from prefectural governments before they can go ahead and use the fuel, which contains plutonium recovered from spent nuclear fuel.

Good catch man, good eye.

Wow, this is not good, and getting worse.

And why are they not reporting this? I keep asking that question...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
The only thing it means is that we need to be 2,000,000 times further away than advised, 2,000,000 times more paranoid, and ingest 2,000,000 times the iodine.

pretty simple really. great find and much help OP

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   

6.2.6 Accident scenario when burning MOX Accidents involving overheating and meltdown are possible in any nuclear reactor. In such accidents, not only would readily volatile noble gases like iodine and caesium be released to the environment, but a small portion of the actinides, including plutonium and neptunium, would be released. As the activity of the actinides is substantially higher in the case of MOX, the consequences of such severe accidents become more serious. When MOX fuels are used, the probability of having such serious accidents or trouble would increase due to the high content of plutonium in the fuel. Even if an accident is not a serious one, it could become serious since even a small portion of the inventory of actinides released to the environment could cause significant radiological consequences. According to a comparative analysis of possible consequences of a core meltdown accident in the German Kruemmel nuclear power plant with and without the use of MOX fuel.38 The radiation exposure from inhalation of radioactive materials during the passage of the radioactive cloud is higher by several dozen percentages than if U fuel elements were exclusively used. Radiation exposure through the route of inhalation of remobilized long-lived actinide isotopes is more than doubled. The land areas to become out of use by long-term contamination increases as the re-suspension pathway is a limiting factor and the greater part of the dose resulting from the pathway comes from the actinides.

From further down the same article. I read several dozen percentages, not 2 million. It is bad though and appears to be long lasting due to the actinides, whatever they are.

Important post though, thanks

link   
Can anyone appreciate the...well, "irony" doesn't do it justice...that the thread immediately after this one was "How can I protect my jewelry from scratches?"...?

EDIT to add: Well.... Somewhere on here I replied that I felt this would go to a six on that scale of seven, at least - if I was betting, I'd take that bet in a heartbeat. I also said I thought it would be some good probability that we would see a 7+, and me, being a conservative bet-er, didn't think I'd put money on it.

With this news, I'll take that bet!
edit on 3/15/2011 by Amaterasu because: add

EDIT to add: Those EVIL MOTHERFLICKERS! The more I read... Is Japan on roughly the opposite side of the planet from the Norway seed bank? I'll be off to check, then...
edit on 3/15/2011 by Amaterasu because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by guessing

Ok 2,000,000 multiplied by the 30 km evac zone would be 60,000,000 km's away. Mars here we come

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Great find, I wasn't aware they were using MOX... S n F...

Is the US sending any help? Or are the warships just hanging out near the coast to watch the fireworks? Last I heard they were getting Radiation readings 175 miles off the coast.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
reply to post by guessing

Ok 2,000,000 multiplied by the 30 km evac zone would be 60,000,000 km's away. Mars here we come

finally someone who understands logistics. it has been a search of long and wide. peace to you

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Sorry if this comes off insensitive but...

With Japan using MOX does that create a higher risk of fallout not only for Japan but surrounding areas? Decay rate and whatnot. My knowledge of radiation is limited to carbon dating.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
It looks like TEPCo has a history of safety issues:

"The Fukushima Daiichi plant has a black mark on its record from earlier in the last decade, when a scandal involving falsified safety records led to parent company Tepco briefly shutting down its entire nuclear fleet in Japan. In 2002, Tepco admitted to the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency that it had falsified the results of safety tests on the containment vessel of the No. 1 reactor, which is now one of three reactors that workers are struggling to keep from overheating. The test took place in 1991-1992.

The scandal was the latest in a string of nuclear safety records cover-ups by Tepco, including the revelation that the company's doctoring of safety records concerning reactor shrouds, a part of the reactors themselves, in the 1980s through the early 1990s. Five top executives resigned after the company admitted to having falsified safety.

In 2003, Tepco shut down all of its nuclear reactors for inspections, acknowledging the systematic cover-up of inspection data showing cracks in reactors. "

online.wsj.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by FoxStriker
Star and Flag... I can only see this getting worse, I'm pretty sure that explosion at reactor 3 wasn't a propane tank... and I'm positive officials are lying to the public...

In fact I'm sure Japan is only wondering about one thing right now... how to evacuate half their population off their Islands... that reactor is more powerful than most in the world... the amount of radiation is extremely dangerous and hazardous to any living organism within a 60 mile area at least.

ive said all along that the japanese offficials in their press conferences where they say `nah its okay all under control` are LYING

i can see that from their body language right away!!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
my question is this, and can you guys answer this

i feel very sorry for the people people of japan, but we should refuse to send any more financial aid to japanese government until they are honest and straight forward

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Actually you have to remember that as the amount of time and space the radiation travels, the quicker it becomes less hazardous.

Regarding the amount of radiation that falls out.

Radioactive fallout from a nuclear explosion, though very dangerous initially, loses its intensity quickly because it is giving off so much energy. For example, fallout emitting gamma ray radiation at a rate over 500 R/hr (fatal with one hour of exposure) shortly after an explosion, weakens to only 1/10th as strong 7 hours later. Two days later, it's only 1/100th as strong, or as deadly, as it was initially.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
The news guy on channel 7 ABC is not wearing a tie. His shirt is unbuttoned, and I wonder if his pants are even zipped. It's as though he couldn't bother to get dressed for work. The lady next to him is showing a lot of cleavage. She may not even be wearing a bra, I don't know. This while discussing the tragedy in the aftermath of the earthquake. They are rubbing it in, while they ignore any useful data.
edit on 15-3-2011 by starless and bible black because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by FoxStriker

Thing is, a nuclear explosion fallout and actual fallout from a nuclear powerplant is not the same thing AT ALL.

BTW, the half-life of Plutonium 240, which MOX is made of, is 6563 years.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro
Sorry if this comes off insensitive but...

With Japan using MOX does that create a higher risk of fallout not only for Japan but surrounding areas? Decay rate and whatnot. My knowledge of radiation is limited to carbon dating.

Not insensitive. I do believe you're right. Somebody let that monstrosity loose on Our planet, somebody really thought, with knowledge of past earthquakes in that area at that magnitude that it was worth the energy to risk THIS. For those of Us less affected I recommend finding a different solution. We cannot help, up close and personal, so We must help by taking over from Them.

Again, I point to the solution I see and ask all of You to look, to read, to digest, what I say. All I ask is that you spread my Ideas if you see in them a solution. I strongly suspect ways of neutralizing radiation are being held in black ops. If we released this information... We would have free energy and likely a means to reverse this blight.

The End of Entropy - read first. The Ethical Planetarian Party Platform - both linked in my sig.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

"Can anyone appreciate the...well, "irony" doesn't do it justice...that the thread immediately after this one was "How can I protect my jewelry from scratches?"...?"

haha yea.... gobsmacked, it made me wish i had a suitably expressive & appropriate emoticon

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

If this is true and Reactor 3 has ANY more problems or if the explosion was really down played, well i'm afraid to even imagine the possibilities of what could happen in the next hours, days, weeks.....

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
reply to post by FoxStriker

Thing is, a nuclear explosion fallout and actual fallout from a nuclear powerplant is not the same thing AT ALL.

BTW, the half-life of Plutonium 240, which MOX is made of, is 6563 years.

I agree, but still it does not discount the fact that the farther you are out of the radiation source, the less energy it will emit depending upon how much time it has taken to get to you.

and I understand that MOX is a something we wish we could unmake, but it still has the same energy depletion properties as lets say Uranium when under meltdown conditions and if released. God willing I'm right on this. (Not including the amount of energy, just the principle)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join