It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

63 Million for U.S.Astronaut Ride

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Source

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – The Russians are hiking the price of rocket rides again for U.S. astronauts — to nearly $63 million.

The price goes up in 2014 for an astronaut to fly to and from the International Space Station on a Russian Soyuz spacecraft. NASA announced the news Monday.

I think this is just so outrageous, but I have to mention about Obama cutting the shuttle program.

(Off Topic: I would want to know is how the entire nation was duped into thinking that everything is the fault of the president.

I think that the reason the space shuttle program was cancelled, was because of the current state of the youth of today.

Sorry if it sounds stupid, but what the kids do today are just listening on their phones, talking all day, trying to be the best hooper...

They are the ones that are going to inherit this planet, and I really don't think they would care at all for any kind of space program.Except those select view of course.)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
which do you think costs more, paying 63 million or maintaining a shuttle mission that is essentially obsolete?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
"kids" is just a little too general don't you think. Don't blame us younger generation for the inventions that you're generation have thrusted in our faces since we can remember with your catchy commercials with colourful packages...

Sure kids are being kids, but what has that got to do with a space program... There kids, not preparing for the next APollo mission... Maybe you should take a leaf out of their book and sit back and enjoy the game existence to the end... of the beginning

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Does that price include meals and i dont mean a chicken sandwich and do you get frequent flyer points because i think you would get a nice free trip to Tahiti after racking up that distance.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by binomialtheorem

Explanation: S&F!

Personal Disclosure: It's so nice to have TOLD EVERYBODY SO! Here is why...

2] China's space program will soon meet and then overtake the entire rest of the worlds space capabilities and we all know that the moon is the high ground!

NASA is defunct and the Russians will extort their revenge on the US via upping the travel costs and fees for ferrying the NASAnots into space to the ISS which will soon sold off by the US as a useless financial blackhole!

Next Elections lets Vote 1 China OK! (by OmegaLogos posted on 8-2-2010 @ 11:07 PM) [ATS]

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by binomialtheorem

Not really all that outrageous.. Its one thing when 2 nations share the cost of resupply and what not, but when one of those nations steps back for some time, it falls to the Russians completely, which means more flights on their side to pick up the slack we are making.

The Rusian space program, just like the American, is subject to budget issues.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
The bare minimum for one shuttle launch is $450 million.
So it’s still far cheaper to let the Soviets launch us until free enterprise takes hold here.
In a few years we will have companies do our human launches instead of NASA.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Whatever the reasoning etc. It doesn't matter.

NASA should be ashmed. The Russian are winning the Space Race-again.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
$63-million to the Russians for a ride...I would rather spend the $450-million and keep all that money in the US economy. This is just another case of outsourcing at the expense of the American worker.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
It’s money we don’t have.
For one shuttle flight we can get 7 Russian launches. That may be enough to cover the gap.

Remember all the large assembly has been completed. We only need to launch people. Typically just 3 at a time. You wouldn’t drive an 18 wheeler to the grocery store, would you?

There is no race anymore. We have nothing to prove to anyone. Does you pride get hurt if your neighbor pulls up in a Lexus vs your Chevy?

In a few short years we will be flying on rockets designed and built by private companies. Launches will not be limited to NASA only missions. Design changes will not require a congressional review. Where else in the world will you be able to schedule and pay for a space ride via the web? We will be the envy of the world.

top topics

join