U.S. Navy Aircraft Carrier Docked 175 miles Away From Fukushima Detects Radiation

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
U.S. Navy Aircraft Carrier Detects Radiation
By the CNN Wire Staff
March 15, 2011 1:07 a.m. EDT
www.cnn.com...

(CNN) -- U.S. Navy personnel are taking precautionary measures after instruments aboard an aircraft carrier docked in Japan detected low levels of radioactivity from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, the Navy said Tuesday.
The USS George Washington was docked for maintenance in Yokosuka, about 175 miles (280 kilometers) from the plant, when instruments detected the radiation at 7 a.m. Tuesday (6 p.m. ET Monday), the Navy said in a statement.
Personnel will limit outdoor activities and secure external ventilation systems there and at a nearby air facility in Atsugi.
"These measures are strictly precautionary in nature. We do not expect that any United States federal radiation exposure limits will be exceeded even if no precautionary measures are taken," the Navy said.
www.cnn.com...

Yup. Nothing at all to worry about. And the winds are blowing toward Tokyo.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Yokosuka, where this carrier was docked is about 25 miles south of Tokyo. So this confirms those winds have transported the airborne nuclear material that far already.

I don't understand how there isn't mass panic at this point. If this were Cleavland, Ohio, everyone would be on a mad dash out of the city.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Thanks for the info...........bump for all those still here to see

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

Exactly. I take it no one remembers the book "We Almost Lost Detroit". Or the Fermi plant disaster.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Nope, never read that one...........

As for the winds pushing the radioactivity particles that far south so quickly.............

No worry here, it will never hit the US coast line..........Just wanted to be a skeptic for a moment..........

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
You know I keep noticing ATS members using the phrase "Nothing to see here folks" and "yup. Nothing to worry about" in a sarcastic tone that implies we are being led away from the truth.

Well, I think it is being way over used. The fact that your reading this report on CNN says that they are being pretty transparent. I haven't heard anyone so far say "Nothing to worry about, all under control"

So please refrain from using the sarcastic tone and phrase. It's done almost by habit from ATS members and it's one more of those contributing little things that makes this site what it is... A hub for self feeding paranoia junkies

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
But how the hell are we going to evac Tokyo? This is going to be the biggest operation conducted in human history, bar none. If a evac is decided that is.

The Tokyo-Yokohama Metroplex is rated at over 30 million inhabitants.

This will indeed be the most complex, most difficult organizational operation ever attempted.

And what will the outcome be? The largest city on Earth a ghost town?

Be prepared for the world's markets to get slammed hard this week.
It's going to get a lot worse before it gets any better, I am afraid to admit.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Nomad451

I tend to agree Nomad.

Our MSM networks are being a tad bit transparent about this, and are giving us all a heads up on what is going on.

I do feel they are downplaying the severity a bit, but I can understand why due to panic and hysteria potentials.

And I do feel like more action can be taken by the International Community to aid our friends in Japan with the organization and logistics efforts required to remedy this disaster situation.

Overall though, I am happy to see open sourced information being spread at lightening speed worldwide.
The information age is a beautiful time to live, although a bit frightening at times.

But information is our best weapon against disaster. And spreading information keeps us all safe.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I agree Muzzleflash. things are deteriorating rapidly in Japan. Logistically,its almost impossible to get that many people out of any city,without mass radiation poisonings along the way. This will get worse,before it gets better. My question is this. How soon can they cap these reactors ?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

"Nothing to worry about, all under control"

Thats not true my fellow ATS member.............I have been flipping MSM channels all night during the "live" broadcast hours..........and "yes" several experts were even saying earlier tonight that "everthing is under control and everything will be fine"..........thats almost an exact quote by one expert who was on one of the the Fox programs."

Of course #2 blew up and #4 caught fire about an hour after the broadcast.............

So I can use sarcasm in my post...........Just because you get a report from over in Japan does not mean they will give you the truth when it "really" hits home......(that is if you live in the states)

edit on 15-3-2011 by Cloudsinthesky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky

"Nothing to worry about, all under control"

Thats not true my fellow ATS member.............I have been flipping MSM channels all night during the "live" broadcast hours..........and "yes" several experts were even saying earlier tonight that "everthing is under control and everything will be fine"..........thats almost an exact quote by one expert who was on one of the the Fox programs."

Of course #2 blew up and #4 caught fire about an hour after the broadcast.............

So I can use sarcasm in my post...........Just because you get a report from over in Japan does not mean they will give you the truth when it "really" hits home......(that is if you live in the states)

edit on 15-3-2011 by Cloudsinthesky because: (no reason given)

I've heard that almost verbatim a number of times on the MSM as well. Hence my flippant sarcasm in the OP. But go ahead everyone else, make believe that we're being told everything and continue to trust the state sponsored MSM. Go ahead.

Meanwhile...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
But then again, I get all my information from the not-so-transparent MSM anyway, so who am I to talk. It's a conundrum.

And perhaps I have been using the "Yup... nothing to see here folks" bit too much.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

UPDATE

U.S. Navy Moves Closer To Japan, Confident In Providing Relief Despite Radiation
by Jennifer Griffin | March 15, 2011
politics.blogs.foxnews.com...

Aircraft and crews returning from missions ashore are also being monitored for signs of contamination.

The USS Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike group continued operations off the east coast of Honshu, and an additional destroyer, the USS Mustin, is at sea south of the disaster site.

The Strike Group flew 29 Humanitarian Aid Lift missions Tuesday, delivering 17 tons of supplies including food, water and blankets. A total of 25 tons have been delivered to date, providing assistance to 2,000 people. Aircraft also conducted three search and rescue missions.

Tuesday morning, sensitive instrumentation on USS George Washington in Yokosuka detected low levels of radioactivity from the Fukushima plant. While there was no danger to the public, forces recommended limited precautionary measures for personnel and their families, including limiting outdoor activities and securing external ventilation systems as much as possible. The military stressed these measures are strictly precautionary in nature, and they do not expect that any Federal radiation exposure limits will be exceeded even if no precautionary measures are taken.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Now they're being given Iodide before they go in.

Navy Says Radiation Releases Pose Challenging Environment
By Larry Shaughnessy, CNN
March 16, 2011 -- Updated 1123 GMT (1923 HKT)
edition.cnn.com...

And some air crew members, Davis said, have been given potassium iodide pills. The iodide protects a person's thyroid gland from the effects of radioactivity and can reduce the threat of thyroid cancer.
U.S. Navy spokesman Capt. Danny Hernandez said the iodide pills were given as a "precautionary measure only."
The U.S. Army's Camp Zama, about 25 miles outside Tokyo, is also taking steps in light of the potential radiation threat.
edition.cnn.com...

top topics

join