It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA appoints John D. Rummel as Planetary Protection Officer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I just came across this and I haven't seen this on Ats sorry if a repost.
Just thought it was interesting that NASA is taking the possibility of life outside our planet more seriously.

anybody got more info on this Rummel fellow??

news.discovery.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
first public step towards false flag alien attack

I'd really like to know some info about this guy...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
If that's not an admission of life, then I don't know what is.

Makes good sense though, if they didn't think there was life why even create this position?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Here's a link to his bio

www.mainsgate.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
It seems like he has his work cut out for him. Not for aliens or Ufo's but he needs to protect the planet from us.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by studio500
If that's not an admission of life, then I don't know what is.

Makes good sense though, if they didn't think there was life why even create this position?

It is not an admission of life.

Planetary protect is concern not just with the protection of Earth but preventing the biological contamination of worlds humans are exploring, specifically microbes. This is most important in the exploration of worlds where we believe life possible, such as Mars or certain moons of Jupiter. Contaminating a world with biological material from Earth could hamper our search for life there. And, not knowing how life from Earth would interact with life on another world, could lead to disaster.

Planetary Protection at NASA

edit on 14-3-2011 by WingedBull because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
NASA?

NASA is going to protect this planet?
They don't even have a space plane anymore

Sorry needed a good laugh

edit on 15-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Zorgon, they'll just rely on the Russian's for protection.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by WingedBull
but preventing the biological contamination of worlds humans are exploring, specifically microbes.

Bull pucky

NASA already had an ET law years ago that they said was specifically to protect us from bacteria from out there. They killed the law and don't quarantine astronauts anymore because they told us there was no danger.

Despite all their bluster lately about arsenic life forms(maybe) in swamps, fossil bacteria in meteorites (maybe) and all the UN Ambassador stuff a while back, now they appoint a planetary protector... it AIN'T about space bugs

It's more likely preps for a false flag invasion

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jocko Flocko
Zorgon, they'll just rely on the Russian's for protection.

Well Russia already offered Japan a new home, so yeah we can count on the Russian's but my money is still on the NAVY

Odd thing is two retired NAVY commanders just got on board with Carol Rosin (ex von Braun friend) and Edgar Mitchell to push a new treaty banning space weapons

New Treaty Would Ban Space Weapons for Earthlings and ETs
www.abovetopsecret.com...

And THEY aren't talking space bugs either

"We felt that, not only was it appropriate, but it was timely and absolutely necessary if the treaty can be implemented and verified," Jones told AOL News. "The extraterrestrial cultures are the ones that are really going to keep this honest, because they have the capability."

Retired Navy Cmdr. Scott Jones spent half of his 30-year naval career in intelligence service. He's a significant contributor to the anti-weaponization of space proposal and a proponent of full disclosure of ET/Earth contact.

www.aolnews.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by WingedBull
but preventing the biological contamination of worlds humans are exploring, specifically microbes.

Bull pucky

NASA already had an ET law years ago that they said was specifically to protect us from bacteria from out there. They killed the law and don't quarantine astronauts anymore because they told us there was no danger.

Despite all their bluster lately about arsenic life forms(maybe) in swamps, fossil bacteria in meteorites (maybe) and all the UN Ambassador stuff a while back, now they appoint a planetary protector... it AIN'T about space bugs

It's more likely preps for a false flag invasion

Zorgon, I had seriously overestimated your insight and common sense, and there you go debunking my trust by acting like just another ATSer simpleton. Rummel's had this post for years (decades?), which you might have known had you emerged from your intellectual ghetto into the real world more often.

It's exactly as the lone voice of reason posted a little while ago here -- concern over issues of trans-planetary biological contamination, less of an issue with alien-death-bugs and more of a question of making sure that when we do detect life on other planets, it wasn't stuff we sneezed onto our own probe before launch [which actually may have happened back in 1967].

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Despite all their bluster lately about arsenic life forms(maybe) in swamps, fossil bacteria in meteorites (maybe) and all the UN Ambassador stuff a while back, now they appoint a planetary protector...

They didn't do anything "now", but we couldn't expect you to check the facts, could we?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Hmm...Lots of little events popping in the last months, I so wonder what its leading to?

Why do I have this worry at the back of my mind that something big is going on and its not good news at all....

I'm not normally so paranoid about stuff but there's something in the air, something telling me that all isn't right.

I seriously do wonder...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mclaneinc
Hmm...Lots of little events popping in the last months, I so wonder what its leading to?

Why do I have this worry at the back of my mind that something big is going on and its not good news at all....

I'm not normally so paranoid about stuff but there's something in the air, something telling me that all isn't right.

I seriously do wonder...

Why don't you go find out how long Rummel has had this position, and report back to the class?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
The news don't surprise me at all.First the UN appointed an ambassador,in case of alien contact,now NASA a planetery protector(aka security chief)

What's next?A chief medical officer,a commander?Someone is watching a lot of Babylon 5....

I don't mean to troll,the news sound great if a REAL contact is about to take place.
The suspicious me of course thinks that creating such positions could also mean that they found new ways to get more money from the goverment(s).New jobs,new departments, new funds.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I WANT HIS JOB.

To be honest guys, if Rosswell was indeed a real ET craft, i highly beleive that since the 40's we have designed weapons to fight these Aliens if they ever did attack us, i beleive we do have top secret weapons.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom traveller
First the UN appointed an ambassador,in case of alien contact,now NASA a planetery protector(aka security chief)

The suspicious me of course thinks that creating such positions could also mean that they found new ways to get more money from the goverment(s).

Hi,

A few quick points:

(1) The story about the UN appointing an ambassador in case of alien contact was denied by the relevant person (Mazlan Othman, a Malaysian astrophysicist). She said it sounded cool, but wasn't true:
www.guardian.co.uk...

Also, a UN spokesperson said the story was "nonsense":
newslite.tv...

(2) That story about the UN appointing an ambassador in case of alien contact did not come before the appointment of John D Rummel as Planetary Protection Officer. The story about an alien ambassador came out in about September 2010. John D Rummel's appointment as Planetary Protection Officer was back in about 1997/1998:
www.slate.com...

www.ecu.edu...

Immediately prior to his arrival at ECU in 2008, Dr. Rummel was the NASA Senior Scientist for Astrobiology, based in Washington, DC, responsible for leading all aspects of NASA’s program to understand the origin, evolution, and fate of life in the Universe. He re-entered the astrobiology world in 2006, after serving from 1997 as the NASA Planetary Protection Officer, ensuring that NASA’s planetary exploration missions did not contaminate other worlds and that missions returning samples to Earth would be safe from biological hazards.

In addition to his current work at ECU, Dr. Rummel presently serves as the Chair of the Panel on Planetary Protection of the International Council for Science’s Committee on Space Research (COSPAR), based in Paris, which maintains a consensus international policy on planetary protection to help space-faring nations to conduct solar system exploration in a way to minimize the potential for harmful biological contamination. He is also a member of the NASA Advisory Council’s Planetary Protection Subcommittee.

(3) While the thread title states "NASA appoints John D. Rummel as Planetary Protection Officer", it seems he was replaced years ago. Catharine "Cassie" Conley appears to have held this post since about 2006. She recently received a bit of coverage on the Internet. Also, she has a profile page at the link below:

sse.jpl.nasa.gov...

What is a Planetary Protection Officer?
As the Planetary Protection Officer for NASA, I am responsible for insuring that the United States complies with Article IX of The Outer Space Treaty. Article IX specifies that planetary exploration should be carried out in a manner so as to avoid contamination of the bodies we are exploring throughout the solar system, and also to avoid any adverse effects to Earth if materials are brought back from outer space.

Tell us about a favorite moment so far in your career.
It is always entertaining to see people's expressions when I introduce myself as the Planetary Protection Officer. Most people think of the characters in the movie "Men in Black" when they hear this title. (Recently, the European Space Agency's (ESA) planetary protection officer and I were lecturing at a planetary probes workshop, and he put up a picture of "Men in Black" on the big screen behind us. That was pretty entertaining.) Actually, I was given dark Ray-Ban sunglasses my first day on the job.

I am sure she would be entertained to see herself mentioned in the "Aliens & UFOs" forum here on ATS.

All the best,

Isaac
edit on 15-3-2011 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg

Originally posted by Mclaneinc

I seriously do wonder...

Why don't you go find out how long Rummel has had this position, and report back to the class?

Why that's a side splitting bit of sarcasm there Jim, you really should be on stage........Selling trumped up DVDs and books....

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
according the amount of money put into new installations like dish's and satellites, especially whats being put into practice by 2020, contact should be by 2025, 2030 max.

top topics

join