It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spent fuels WERE stored in roof sections of reactors

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
They are admitting it now on NHK WORLD.

www.livestation.com...
edit on 14-3-2011 by OptimisticPessimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
WTH!!! I just heard it. Why the hell would they store it there!?!?

#4 reactor fire is the cause of cellular damaging radiation!?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimisticPessimist

Not on the roof...

In the roof section

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
And now much of that is in the air / jet stream, possibly heading east.
edit on 14-3-2011 by MedievalGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
What the deuce! What morons!! I'm virtually speechless. (Some would be glad if I were actually fully speechless, but that's beside the point...)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
WTH!!! I just heard it. Why the hell would they store it there!?!?

#4 reactor fire is the cause of cellular damaging radiation!?

Let's build 11 nuclear reactors on a major quake zone, power at least one of them with controversial, dangerous fuel, then store the spent rods above the lot...!

Crazy.

Those poor people don't need this.
I wish there was something I could do.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
And now much of that is in the air / jet stream, possibly heading west.

I think you mean East.
line two is also East.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
And now much of that is in the air / jet stream, possibly heading west.

I think you mean East.
line two is also East.

Yes, meant east. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
reply to post by OptimisticPessimist

Not on the roof...

In the roof section

Edited.

Ta.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Are you guys stupid or what.

The roof section is inside the nuke plant building, built to store the rods...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I seriously cannot wrap my head around this. Why in the hell would you store your spent nuclear rods above ground?
Maybe they figured their people had a high immunity to radiation after WW2, so they didn't bother worrying about them.

They are telling people 20 - 30 km away to stay inside. I would just want to leave, regardless, they couldn't keep me there right now.

Interesting. Unless they have a pool of boric acid on their rooftops I don't see why they would store the spent fuel rods there.

Temporary Storage of Fuel Rods: Fuel Rod Storage Pool Picture of a Temporary Fuel Rod Storage Pool Photo Used With Permission of Joseph Gonyeau. Original Source: Virtual Nuclear Tourist The spent fuel rods from a nuclear reactor are the most radioactive of all nuclear wastes. When all the radiation given off by nuclear waste is tallied, the fuel rods give off 99% of it, in spite of having relatively small volume. There is, as of now, no permanent storage site of spent fuel rods. Temporary storage is being used while a permanent site is searched for and prepared. When the spent fuel rods are removed from the reactor core, they are extremely hot and must be cooled down. Most nuclear power plants have a temporary storage pool next to the reactor. The spent rods are placed in the pool, where they can cool down. The pool is not filled with ordinary water but with boric acid, which helps to absorb some of the radiation given off by the radioactive nuclei inside the spent rods. The spent fuel rods are supposed to stay in the pool for only about 6 months, but, because there is no permanent storage site, they often stay there for years. Many power plants have had to enlarge their pools to make room for more rods. As pools fill, there are major problems. If the rods are placed too close together, the remaining nuclear fuel could go critical, starting a nuclear chain reaction. Thus, the rods must be monitored and it is very important that the pools do not become too crowded. Also, as an additional safety measure, neutron-absorbing materials similar to those used in control rods are placed amongst the fuel rods. Permanent disposal of the spent fuel is becoming more important as the pools become more and more crowded.

Source
edit on 14/3/2011 by TheSparrowSings because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Are you guys stupid or what.

The roof section is inside the nuke plant building, built to store the rods...

Really? the ROOF has blown off of two reactors??!!!!!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Deathstarr54054

The plant's who blew up where operating, so the rod's where inside the plant container.

#4 was not operating, so the rod's was stored in the roof section for removel, the quake hit befor they could rmove them..

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

The plant's who blew up where operating, so the rod's where inside the plant container.

#4 was not operating, so the rod's was stored in the roof section for removel, the quake hit befor they could rmove them..

Are you suggesting that the reactors that exploded did not have spent fuel rods stored in them?
I seriously hope that's the case and would like verification if avaliable, but currently I have to go by what the actual PM of Japan has said about it.
Why would he say that, if it were not the case and relevant to the current situation?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

And now Reactor #4 has blown as well...
nothing more to say really.
stay dead in the wind.
edit on 14-3-2011 by Deathstarr54054 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
This is obviously no longer able to be rated as a level 4 nuclear event.

We HAVE to upgrade this to level 5 now.
Rating Scale

5 – Accident With Wider Consequences

Luckily I am not alone in this, and I have good company in agreeing that this disaster is escalating and we need to reformulate our classification of the severity.

This has been questioned by the French ASN nuclear safety authority. They say the accident can be classed as a 5 or 6, which would be comparable to or worse than the Three Mile Island accident.

Link

Please do not panic or get hysterical.

Please be wise and make use of our already formulated disaster response plans.
A Very Good Guide on Fallout Preparation
My thread : How to Survive Nuclear Fallout: A Guide

Inform yourselves, make plans and preparations.
Stay safe.
edit on 14-3-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Yes and that is bad news, but there are no moron's.
And they are doing one hell of a job to try not to make it worse.

If you guys want to now more go here.www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deathstarr54054
reply to post by Mianeye

And now Reactor #4 has blown as well...
nothing more to say really.
stay dead in the wind.
edit on 14-3-2011 by Deathstarr54054 because: (no reason given)

I have something to say, and it's important.

There is very reliable and legitimate information available for you and I to react accordingly in response to this disaster.

We need to activate our contingency plans now, and prepare for the worst yet hope for the best.

We simply do not know enough yet to determine how bad this will become. So let's get our acts together and make sure ourselves, our friends and family, and our neighbors are informed about what they can do and how we CAN stay safe.

Please print out the guide linked above and here again and pass it out to everyone you can. Tell them to stay calm and to avoid panic, and to handle this responsibly and that we can and will handle this effectively.

That's what I have to say. And I will keep saying it everywhere I get the chance.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Please do not panic or get hysterical.

I doubt the Japanese people will panic. They are a hardy race as a whole and if anything, are probably too exhausted to do so if they could.
What doesn't kill you just makes you stronger, but the trouble is, now that this nuclear event is escelating, this just compounds their problems and they are already running out of fuel, food, medical supplies...

This is terrible for them!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Yes and that is bad news, but there are no moron's.
And they are doing one hell of a job to try not to make it worse.

If you guys want to now more go here.www.abovetopsecret.com...

They are not morons, no. But, they have had to evacuate due to the level of radiation, therefore cannot deal with the meltdown, or whatever people feel comfortable calling it, and the continuing problems that is going to create.

There is nothing anyone can do at this moment, which is really, really not what they need to happen.

<<   2 >>

join