It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Contradictions in the bible

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Dezero

The only valid Bible is the original King James version. All other versions have been messed with and some misinterpreted.

Cool story, bro.

www.greatsite.com...

It's clear you havn't studied the origins of bible and you're unaware that people were being killed not so long ago for reading the bible in English, it was deemed as blasphemous.

And you can claim the bibles have been mistranslated following a game of "chinese whispers" but many words cannot be exhanged, cannot be mistaken, the sinister dogma is there, it can't be ignored.

You can say you're not homophobic, but if you really believe in the King James Bible, if you really believe in it's authenticity then you would agree that homosexuality is an abomination, yes?

I look forward to your answer.
edit on 1/6/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I just love these types of threads. The bible and religion in general are so cloaked with fool proof mechanisms that they are laughable. If you are not a believer, you won't understand. If you try to prove it, you are wrong. So if god wanted man to worship him, then his book would be easy to read and not require a belief in him to understand it. Why would an end all be all deity need the ego boosting worship of lowly life forms? Let's see, I will create something similar to me, but without my powers. I will give them free will to live as they choose. However, if they don't believe in me and feed my ego, I will kill them and send them to an awful place where they will be tortured for eternity.

Contradictions...thou shalt not kill, oh unless I tell you to (David and Goliath, Jericho, etc).
Thou shalt not commit adultery...but you can have many wives, and oh by the way if your wife can't have children you can use a concubine.
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors wife...unless she is a foreign dignitary then you can have sex with her (David again).

The nt says that all you have to do is believe in jesus and you will have everlasting life. Now notice it doesn't ssay eternal life, but everlasting. Furthermore it states you shall not perish. So if I blelieve in jesus, I will live forever? But wait...jesus freaks say oh, that means eternal life...your soul. But that's not what the bible states now does it? Also, god gave man free will. Yet you hear all the time from thumpers how it was gods will. If it was his will, then god is a lier because it means you don't have free will. Ahh, but then the freaks say well, he will urge you to do his will, but you don't have to. But if you don't, he punishes you which is the same thing.

Need I go on? Bible is equal to the Odyssey...a great novel.
edit on 1-6-2011 by haarvik because: Added

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
The bible is so full of contradictions, and flat out impossibilities, that it shocks me to my absolute core to even THINK that some people ACTUALLY believe this stuff...it's frightening.

1: We all came from adam and eve? mankind would have died out after a few generations. first rule of genetics is to spread the genes out. This is not something scientists assume or think, it is a absolute PROVEN fact that cannot be disputed in any way. the evidence is there. inbreeding never does any good.

but for the sake of argument, lets just say for a moment that ok, inbreeding is biologically viable and has no negative side effects. were did all these black, asian, hispanic (ect) people come from? dosent matter how many kids two white people have there always guna end up with a white baby. But ok some people will say well jesus was actually black.......ummm.....ok, same question. where did all these white people come from? then they might say well adam was black and eve was white. (or visa versa) well WTF!!! same problem man. your just guna end up with half black half white kids. when you get these kind of rebuttals to these questions it's painfully obvious the person has no idea about how these things work. they are blindly following what the bible says without giving it a second thought.

2: Noah and the arc. Do i really need to explain this one?just think of how big a zoo is and realize that even they dont have 10% of all animals in them. never mind 2 of EVERY kind. people don't seem to realize just how ridiculously big this ship had to be. and one man built it? take a shop class and see how long it takes you to make a chair (with todays fancy technology on top of that!)

3: prayer. just the fact that people believe in what the bible says and then go pray shows a serious lack of metal capacity. here they are studying supposedly the book of god, trying to understand him, and then they go and do something that if you actually understood the bible youd know was completely pointless. god has a divine plan and knows all. past, future and present. so, why are you praying? if what your praying for isnt in his plan or its not his will you wont get it. BUT if it is, then you will get it, regardless of if you prayed or not. SO WHY ARE YOU PRAYING IN THE FIRST PLACE!

4: Earth is only 5000 years old. Really? you ever been to a museum? you know how long ago those large skeletons actually had some living breathing flesh around them? MILLIONS of years ago.......MILLIONS! never mind a few thousand years. how could something have lived so long ago if there wasn't a planet to live on? What about these human remains from tens of thousands of years ago that they have been finding in Africa. how could there be men before there were men? hmmmm

Theres so many more but i dont want this post to be too long or people wont read it (i know i probably wouldn't lol) but again, i simply cannot believe the things that these people believe in when if you start to think about it for just a few minute you realize how erroneous these ideas are. As Eddie Griffin says, THINK! it ain't illegal yet.

Edit: Flag!
edit on 2-6-2011 by mast3rshake2049 because: flag

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware
It's clear you havn't studied the origins of bible and you're unaware that people were being killed not so long ago for reading the bible in English, it was deemed as blasphemous.

Not so long ago? It was 600-800 years ago!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mast3rshake2049

1: We all came from adam and eve? mankind would have died out after a few generations. first rule of genetics is to spread the genes out. This is not something scientists assume or think, it is a absolute PROVEN fact that cannot be disputed in any way. the evidence is there. inbreeding never does any good.

I am shocked that you seem to be completely unaware that most Christians are not creationists and do not take Genesis literally. Since I came on ATS, I have been utterly shocked that there are so many IDers and creationists in the USA. In the rest of the world, there are very few and they're not taken seriously. IMO and in the opinion of most Christians outside the USA, the Genesis account is not meant to be taken literally, but figuratively.

Originally posted by mast3rshake2049 two white people have there always guna end up with a white baby.

Your ignorance is shown by your racism, which sadly you don't even realise! Jesus is irrelevant to this argument (Creationism) and no, he wasn't black - but neither was he white. Neither were Adam and Eve afaik. See above, you're attacking a straw man. A few rural Americans take Genesis literally. In the rest of the world, we don't.

2: Noah and the arc.

(Sic for your spelling). See above. Not literal!
I couldn't be bothered trying to decipher the rest of your illiterate post. Here's some advice. Internet Explorer (and I just know that's what you use) now has a built in spell check. Please, for the sake of the rest of us, USE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
V.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
Heres the link:www.infidels.org...

your thoughts?

Atheists dismiss Christianity because they find inconsistencies in their fundamentalist reading of the text? Well that seems a little obvious.

Factual inconsistencies and questions about seemingly glaring mistakes in the Bible are, in fact, attestations to the genuine nature of the text. The fact that these inconsistencies exist, and remain to this day demonstrates that Matthew and Luke weren't written in collaboration, and that the early church did not edit the texts to eliminate problems that would result in later persons finding flaws in the written account of Christ's life.

Early Orthodox Christians weren't idiots, they were perfectly capable of finding flaws like those you cite, so one has to come to the conclusion that they weren't contradictions in their mind.
***snip***

Sorry - I just have to stop your delusion on that one.

Early church didn't need to weed out any consistencies. The sermons in the churches were held in latin until way up towards our time.
Not many people understood much latin and they certainly couldn't read latin.
The priest were free to interpret or elaborate as he saw fit. If you didn't believe or follow his guidence you were austed.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by HolgerTheDane

Sorry - I just have to stop your delusion on that one.

Early church didn't need to weed out any consistencies. The sermons in the churches were held in latin until way up towards our time.
Not many people understood much latin and they certainly couldn't read latin.
The priest were free to interpret or elaborate as he saw fit. If you didn't believe or follow his guidence you were austed.

And I have to stop your delusion!

People understood Latin up until very recently, it was 'lingua franca' through out Europe. People who knew only one language were exceedingly rare until recently, and still are outside the USA. *
Bibles were published in English, German, Italian, whatever... and have been for 800 years. BTW, I think the word you wanted was 'ousted'. (Austed is not a word, possibly not even in Texas!)

* I am still amazed when I read or hear stories about American doctors etc who go to work in 3rd world countries and will not or cannot learn the language, but rely on European colleagues to translate for them. It really takes the shine off all your "good works"!
V

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

Your ignorance is shown by your racism, which sadly you don't even realise! Jesus is irrelevant to this argument (Creationism) and no, he wasn't black - but neither was he white. Neither were Adam and Eve afaik. See above, you're attacking a straw man. A few rural Americans take Genesis literally. In the rest of the world, we don't.

So what colour where Adam and Eve?
Or
are you saying there was no Adam and Eve?

But in that case what about the talking snake/magic knowledge fruit thing – the eating of which leads to the original sin?

and if there’s no original sin, then what was the point of that Jesus character in the book?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by racasan

Originally posted by Vicky32

So what colour where Adam and Eve?
Or
are you saying there was no Adam and Eve?

But in that case what about the talking snake/magic knowledge fruit thing – the eating of which leads to the original sin?

and if there’s no original sin, then what was the point of that Jesus character in the book?

It's sad that youse guys are all so literal!

(Dawkins for instance, hates literature, and so do other professional atheists. I suspect Aspergers or autism, and as it's in the family, I well know that people on the autism spectrum are very uncomfortable with ambiguity, or with figurative language.
Adam and Eve, apple, serpent - all symbolic!
Original sin comes from Augustine and his misunderstanding.
Individual sin, now that's a real thing, and even atheists know they are sinful, although some, maybe most, would sooner be boiled in oil than admit it.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

Ah ok

So as far as your concerned there’s
no adam and eve
no talking snake or magical knowledge fruit
no original sin
no Jesus?

Note: if you think there was a Jesus, could you tell me what that part of the story was about

and could you tell me what the whole A&E/talking snake/magical knowledge fruit/original sin part symbolises

thanks

edit on 3-6-2011 by racasan because: added a bit

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

My point still stands.

Anything else trivial ? More spelling mistakes? Grammar? Or my use of adverbs?

The Roman church that threatened anyone possessing a non-Latin Bible with execution. Hus was burned at the stake in 1415, with Wycliffe’s manuscript Bibles used as kindling for the fire!

Anyway, thanks for being the resident stickler. I'll be more careful with my words next time.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by novastrike81
reply to post by Dezero

Romans 2:13 "For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified."

Romans 3:20 "Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin."

They say the same thing; please don't insult me. I was merely making a point with a more understandable English version. If you can't see that these two quotes are the same as the ones I quoted from the NIV; then it is you who are blinded.

EDIT: You still haven't answered my question on which 10 Commandments you were referring to further up the page. This time, please refrain from being insulting as I'm not attacking any position. I'm merely asking a question.
edit on 31-5-2011 by novastrike81 because: (no reason given)

I'm not insulted, I enjoy a debate.
It is quite clear I was comparing Romans 3:20 from the two bibles. First you say they are contradictions and now you say they are saying the same thing. Are you deliberatley trying to confuse?

The bible I use is the KJV Bible, you can find the Commandments in Exodus

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware
reply to post by Dezero

The only valid Bible is the original King James version. All other versions have been messed with and some misinterpreted.

Cool story, bro.

www.greatsite.com...

And you can claim the bibles have been mistranslated following a game of "chinese whispers" but many words cannot be exhanged, cannot be mistaken, the sinister dogma is there, it can't be ignored.

You can say you're not homophobic, but if you really believe in the King James Bible, if you really believe in it's authenticity then you would agree that homosexuality is an abomination, yes?

I look forward to your answer.
edit on 1/6/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

I have done a lot of study into the origins of the Bible. Maybe I wrote it wrong. I didn't mean the KJV is perfect by any means, I was merely suggesting that modern Bibles tend to be watered down in comparison. Sometimes even completely misinterpreted. Plus some have pagan symobolism (NKJV) and are even copywrited.

I'm not homophobic but I don't agree with homosexuality, 100% right.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik
The bible and religion in general are so cloaked with fool proof mechanisms that they are laughable. If you are not a believer, you won't understand. If you try to prove it, you are wrong. So if god wanted man to worship him, then his book would be easy to read and not require a belief in him to understand it. Why would an end all be all deity need the ego boosting worship of lowly life forms? Let's see, I will create something similar to me, but without my powers. I will give them free will to live as they choose. However, if they don't believe in me and feed my ego, I will kill them and send them to an awful place where they will be tortured for eternity.

Contradictions...thou shalt not kill, oh unless I tell you to (David and Goliath, Jericho, etc).
Thou shalt not commit adultery...but you can have many wives, and oh by the way if your wife can't have children you can use a concubine.
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors wife...unless she is a foreign dignitary then you can have sex with her (David again).

The nt says that all you have to do is believe in jesus and you will have everlasting life. Now notice it doesn't ssay eternal life, but everlasting. Furthermore it states you shall not perish. So if I blelieve in jesus, I will live forever? But wait...jesus freaks say oh, that means eternal life...your soul. But that's not what the bible states now does it? Also, god gave man free will. Yet you hear all the time from thumpers how it was gods will. If it was his will, then god is a lier because it means you don't have free will. Ahh, but then the freaks say well, he will urge you to do his will, but you don't have to. But if you don't, he punishes you which is the same thing.

Need I go on? Bible is equal to the Odyssey...a great novel.
edit on 1-6-2011 by haarvik because: Added

1) Why would you assume it should be easy to read. If we had all the answers given to us then why would we need a life in the first place. Do you want an easy life? It is quite clear we have been punished because of Adam and Eve.

2) Have you been punished for not believing? Everyday we are influenced to do good or bad. It is us that makes the final decision.

3) I could go through and try to answer all you've written but the truth is that there is a spiritual presence in your life that makes itself known once you accept your creator. Most atheists I find are so affraid of having to change their lifes and to have to look inwards and expose the dark side. Everyone feels that fear when you come near to it. 9 times out of 10 when I debate about this the other person resorts to name calling or profanities. It's the devils fear of exposure that keeps people trapped.
If I were delusional the that means the majority of the planet insane and delusional.

Ask yourslef a question. Has western society become moraly better or worse since the introduction of darwins "theory" on Evolution?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

The bible is so full of contradictions, and flat out impossibilities, that it shocks me to my absolute core to even THINK that some people ACTUALLY believe this stuff...it's frightening.

but for the sake of argument, lets just say for a moment that ok, inbreeding is biologically viable and has no negative side effects. were did all these black, asian, hispanic (ect) people come from? dosent matter how many kids two white people have there always guna end up with a white baby. But ok some people will say well jesus was actually black.......ummm.....ok, same question. where did all these white people come from? then they might say well adam was black and eve was white. (or visa versa) well WTF!!! same problem man. your just guna end up with half black half white kids. when you get these kind of rebuttals to these questions it's painfully obvious the person has no idea about how these things work. they are blindly following what the bible says without giving it a second thought.

2: Noah and the arc. Do i really need to explain this one?just think of how big a zoo is and realize that even they dont have 10% of all animals in them. never mind 2 of EVERY kind. people don't seem to realize just how ridiculously big this ship had to be. and one man built it? take a shop class and see how long it takes you to make a chair (with todays fancy technology on top of that!)

3: prayer. just the fact that people believe in what the bible says and then go pray shows a serious lack of metal capacity. here they are studying supposedly the book of god, trying to understand him, and then they go and do something that if you actually understood the bible youd know was completely pointless. god has a divine plan and knows all. past, future and present. so, why are you praying? if what your praying for isnt in his plan or its not his will you wont get it. BUT if it is, then you will get it, regardless of if you prayed or not. SO WHY ARE YOU PRAYING IN THE FIRST PLACE!

4: Earth is only 5000 years old. Really? you ever been to a museum? you know how long ago those large skeletons actually had some living breathing flesh around them? MILLIONS of years ago.......MILLIONS! never mind a few thousand years. how could something have lived so long ago if there wasn't a planet to live on? What about these human remains from tens of thousands of years ago that they have been finding in Africa. how could there be men before there were men? hmmmm

Theres so many more but i dont want this post to be too long or people wont read it (i know i probably wouldn't lol) but again, i simply cannot believe the things that these people believe in when if you start to think about it for just a few minute you realize how erroneous these ideas are. As Eddie Griffin says, THINK! it ain't illegal yet.

Edit: Flag!
edit on 2-6-2011 by mast3rshake2049 because: flag

You go on about scientific this and that. Did you forget the subject we are debating here? Anything is possible with God. And it is a known fact that a black couple have had a white non albino child and vice versa. It's in the genes.

God states in the Bible that he mixed up the languages of people and made them different.

Who told you the bible says earth is only 5000 years old. The bible never states that. From Adam and Eve there is only 5-6000 years.

Noahs ark it says one of every kind, not species.

Who says these skeletons are millions of years old. These people who are wrong in almost every prediction theyever make. How many times have scientists said one thing and another comes along and contradicts what the other has said with so called proof, only to then himself be proven wrong. Science always has and always will have a shlf life. Will your ipod last forever? Is the earth flat? Wasn't it stated in the bible that the world is round before Christopher Columbus. And that it hangs on nothingness

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Dezero

I was saying that the KJV and the NIV translations are the same not the contradictions between the two verses I listed.

Okay, we have baby steps into Exodus with the Commandments. Which chapter do you choose for your commandments? No, I'm not being confusion or deceptive. Please list the chapters for each set of the 10 commandments.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

Dear XxRagingxPandaxX,

"Contradictions in the bible", and I am not trying to be confrontational. Is this an IQ test, you can find the answers on line, this is not the first time these questions have been asked. Are we trying to see if the Christians on ATS know their bible?

The shotgun approach does not lend itself to true discussion. Pick one contradiction and have a full discussion on it. That is what you do if you really want an answer. This is hopscotch questioning, let me throw 20 issues at you at once and defend them all at the same time. If one answer is good, you then ignore it and go after another. I wont waste my time playing the game, pick one and start a thread on it. In order to answer your questions we need to establish the context of the statements and doing that for ten or so different things at once is just not worth the effort especially knowing that the answer doesn't make any difference to you, it won't change your mind and I don't need to change your mind. Be well.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by novastrike81
reply to post by Dezero

I was saying that the KJV and the NIV translations are the same not the contradictions between the two verses I listed.

Okay, we have baby steps into Exodus with the Commandments. Which chapter do you choose for your commandments? No, I'm not being confusion or deceptive. Please list the chapters for each set of the 10 commandments.

If they were the same then why would one be a contradiction and the ther not? After all that is why you posted those particular verses.

Exodus Chapter 20 for the commandments. What is your point?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by racasan
reply to post by Vicky32

Ah ok

So as far as your concerned there’s
no adam and eve
no talking snake or magical knowledge fruit
no original sin
no Jesus?

Note: if you think there was a Jesus, could you tell me what that part of the story was about

and could you tell me what the whole A&E/talking snake/magical knowledge fruit/original sin part symbolises

thanks

edit on 3-6-2011 by racasan because: added a bit

You're trolling, and I really ought not to feed you... Whatever I say you "move the goaposts", and I could answer you until the cows come home, and you'd still twist what I say. I have been there before - years ago, I was naive enough to think these disingenuous questions were because the Internet-atheist really wanted to know...
Of course Jesus is/was real. As for the rest, symbolic. I know you are (pretending) not to get it, but symbolic means not literally real, but and this is the hard part, not unreal!
As for what it symbolises, I am not doing all the work for you. Over the centuries, books have been written about the subject. Ask someone whose job it is to put up with trolls. Or go to a library. (You'd have to get to a degree of basic literacy first, but there are organisations that can help with that.)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

I’m just curious as to how you have come to the conclusions that genesis is symbolic and the Jesusy bits of the bible are not

It is my understanding that Jesus came fix the problems caused by the original sin of eating magical knowledge fruit

If the whole magical knowledge fruit incident is symbolic then what in your opinion was Jesus’ mission?

And fyi
I know what symbolic means, that’s why I asked what it symbolised

Put another way
It seems to me that when christians find out some part of the bible is just plain illogical or not supported by observed facts then it turns out that bit of the bible was symbolic all along.

So it’s reasonable for non-believers to ask, how do you know its symbolic and what does it symbolise

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join