It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NUCLEAR INFORMATION FILMS WERE LIES TO THE PUBLIC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Whilst the subject of a Nuclear disaster is unfolding, it reminded me of a series of Public information films that were screened in the UK at the height of the Cold War in the 70's.

Wiki P

The campaign was titled Protect and Survive and was designed to comfort the population.

The sad truth was that much of the information given would have been useless in the event of a nuclear attack..

This is more of a trip down memory lane but it has similarities to what I'm hearing on NHK news right now where residents are being told to stay inside, brush off any dust and not to bring washing in from clothes lines.

Obviously these films relected a very different type of nuclear event, ie a nuclear strike but what I want to focus on here is the advice given where fallout of any type of radioactive particles are present.

In reality radioactive particles will easily penetrate a building, so is the information being given to the people of Japan good advice or designed to prevent panic?

the campaign was criticised for being a waste of taxpayers money and misleading, even deluding the public into a false sense of security. As by following those instructions, the public assume they'll be safe. The booklet was never distributed and the series of films were never shown, hence comedians such as Ben Elton ridiculed it in shows like The Young Ones as useless and a waste of money.

Text Link

There are many more such videos available for those interested in what was fed to the people all those years ago in the UK on You Tube. Search for Protect and Survive.

edit on 14-3-2011 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-3-2011 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I would Cover all windows with seran wrap, and duct-tape, or electrical tape the edges. Do this to all windows and doors and any other air intakes. Same with the fans in your bathroom.
Build a rectangle in a corner in a room that is farthest away from the edge of your house. Make this rectangle as thick as you possibly can. First start with solid objects, then empty objects. If you can fill the empty objects with sand or dirt, that is the best thing to do.
If you hear any radiation is on the way to your area, fill everything you can with water immediately. Take all the food and water and put it in that square.

Don't forget to rub 4-8ml of betadyne on your arm daily, or potassium iodide if fallout were to come
edit on 14-3-2011 by thedeadwalkk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by studio500

It's obvious panic control used by governng bodies the world over.
The sad fact is, the truth is potentially very devastating.
Could you tell people? I couldn't.

It's a case of "Damned if you do, damned if you don't". If their PM gave the worst case scenario (assuming of course there's no deliberately hidden facts) then he would only be accused of fearmongering, I'm sure.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimisticPessimist
reply to post by studio500

It's obvious panic control used by governng bodies the world over.
The sad fact is, the truth is potentially very devastating.
Could you tell people? I couldn't.

It's a case of "Damned if you do, damned if you don't". If their PM gave the worst case scenario (assuming of course there's no deliberately hidden facts) then he would only be accused of fearmongering, I'm sure.

I agree with you 100% and no I couldn't tell anybody the truth either if I was PM. I would want to minimize panic.

When I hear similar advice being given on NHK news now to the Citizens, I feel very very sad for them and the situation they are facing. It's heart breaking beyond belief.

new topics

top topics

join