It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALL FACT NO FEAR: Clear and concise info about the Fukushima plants from MIT!!! (with updates)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Here is a link that should clear EVERYTHING up. No more fear, no more panic, and no more jumping the gun.... it's truly getting out of control here on ATS. I really hope this helps everyone and I can't think of a reason why it would not. NO HYPE JUST FACT.

Here is all the information you need (with updates) from MIT

MIT NSE Nuclear Information Hub

To get straight to the "main" fact:

This process decreased the temperature of the fuel rods to a non-damaging level. Because the reactor had been shut down a long time ago, the decay heat had decreased to a significantly lower level, so the pressure in the plant stabilized, and venting was no longer required.

***UPDATE – 3/14 8:15 pm EST***

Units 1 and 3 are currently in a stable condition according to TEPCO press releases, but the extent of the fuel damage is unknown. That said, radiation levels at the Fukushima plant have fallen to 231 micro sieverts (23.1 millirem) as of 2:30 pm March 14th (local time).

Peace & Respect,

AS
edit on 14-3-2011 by AeonStorm because: Added Info

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Man. When Japan makes through this.

I'm going to eat # loads of sushi and drink buckets of sake.

Long live Japan.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
umm spoke to soon.

full evacuation of 30km radius

www.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Thank you for a shining spot of sanity in the chaos.
It's amazing the stories that are being broadcast by people who don't know a thing. People are rushing to get potassium iodide in any form; I even saw someone ask for dosage for her baby. He's a septic tank installer, yet he told her how much to give! How dumb are these people?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Live Feed: Post PM/Cabinet Address

The Japanese government said that the appropriate units are actually MILIseiverts, not micro-, so that article from MIT is being based off of radiation levels that are incredibly lower. The actually radiation levels are 1000x stronger, and there is also now neutron radiation.
edit on 3/14/2011 by Konah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Frank Dinkle

I am not following ANY more of the MSM about this. They have been the cause of WAY to much fear and confusion while they sensationalize this story (in a VERY negative way) and up their ratings at the same time!

AS

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Konah

Extremely good point ! It seems like the news reports are all very confused and it might be at least a few days before we find out whats really happening.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Konah
Live Feed: Post PM/Cabinet Address

The Japanese government said that the appropriate units are actually MILIseiverts, not micro-, so that article from MIT is being based off of radiation levels that are incredibly lower. The actually radiation levels are 1000x stronger, and there is also now neutron radiation.

Um

231 micro sieverts = 23.1 millirem

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Reread what I just told you and possibly listen in to the live feed.

The radiation levels were incorrectly labeled in microsieverts - the Prime Minister of Japan said the proper unit is millisieverts. So the number in the article is incorrect, which would mean their conversion is also vastly incorrect.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

The radiation levels were incorrectly labeled in microsieverts - the Prime Minister of Japan said the proper unit is millisieverts. So the number in the article is incorrect, which would mean their conversion is also vastly incorrect.

I confirm they are talking MILLIsieverts.
And the PM has said there is a fire in the reactor, but they have evaqcuated anyway due to the levels at the plant being too high and harmful to life.
He is urging people to act calmly.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Thanks for rational news. there are too many people that are scared as could be about this.

I have said it before and will say it again, radiation should have minimal chance of ever being seen over here in North America, no matter what happens in Japan.

Credit to you buddy for showing the real news.

Pred...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Okay I understand.

As long as we stick with the facts and do not insight fear. No need for that. Thank you for bringing this to my (and everyone's) attention. Lets also remember that those levels that are harmful to humans drop off the further from the plant you get. (Please don't ask me for the numbers because I don't know and I'm not going to speculate)

Peace & Respect,

AS
edit on 14-3-2011 by AeonStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
...thx aeon storm... that was very informative... hope they're right...

...i doubt the legitimacy of fallout affecting the usofa and i'm concerned about the fear-induced run on potassium idiodide and the potential negatives of ingesting too much... i think most folks are like me and just dont know or think about how much exposure to radiation we get all the time... heres an easy to read link and map...

www.blackcatsystems.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
An update from MIT

The details about what happened at the Unit 2 reactor are still being determined. The post on what is happening at the Unit 2 reactor contains more up-to-date information. Radiation levels have increased, but to what level remains unknown.

Please keep coming back to this (MIT) site for your information and try not to watch to much MSM

AS

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
If anything, I think the MSM is making it sound worse than it is.

In the Brazilian TV they were even showing a mini documentary on Chernobyl, saying that it is likely that that could happen.

My mother was like "Japan is done!"

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

I don't know but your MIT don't worry link is a little scary right now.

Confirmation of loud sounds this morning came from the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency (NISA). It noted that “the suppression chamber may be damaged.” It is not clear that the sounds were explosions.

Also known as the torus, this large doughnut-shaped structure sits in the centre of the reactor building at a lower level than the reactor. It contains a very large body of water to which steam can be directed in emergency situations. The steam then condenses and reduces pressure in the reactor system.

The pressure in the pool was seen to decrease from three atmospheres to one atmosphere after the noise, suggesting possible damage. Radiation levels on the edge of the plant compound briefly spiked at 8217 microsieverts per hour but later fell to about a third that.

MIT page you linked to at the beginning.

Not trying to be an A$$ and call you out just saying.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Anyone notice how the thread about thinking about this rationally drops down and yet the panic threads are still up top?

We need to think about a disaster like this in a rational way, if some top nuclear physicists say there is no way, no matter what happens that north america can get harmful levels of radiation, I believe them. We here on ATS always talk about how not to trust MSM then when they start to insight a panic we follow along like sheep.

They need the panic, the need the scare as it will pull in more and more viewers which means more money for them. I'll trust MIT and other educated people instead.

Pred...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
The truth is that the situation in Japan is fluid, and while the guys at MIT seeking publicity for the Institute are sitting in their staid respectable classroom environs, the nuclear reactor 10,000 plus miles away, plant has been battered by explosions, an earthquake and a tsunami.

These are nerds with pocket protectors talking out of the side of their arse in all their pompous don't have a clue detached glory.

The situation still continues to go from bad to worse, and I would be looking to people on the ground in Japan for information not the Dungeon and Dragons crowd.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
The truth is that the situation in Japan is fluid, and while the guys at MIT seeking publicity for the Institute are sitting in their staid respectable classroom environs, the nuclear reactor 10,000 plus miles away, plant has been battered by explosions, an earthquake and a tsunami.

These are nerds with pocket protectors talking out of the side of their arse in all their pompous don't have a clue detached glory.

The situation still continues to go from bad to worse, and I would be looking to people on the ground in Japan for information not the Dungeon and Dragons crowd.

We all know the situation is fluid, but to say that they do not know what they are talking about us a different thing. With someone of your stature here, being well respected, for you to resort to ad hominem attacks and saying that they are too far away to know is a little daft in my opinion.

They know what's going on, they know the structure and they know physics, why would we not trust scientists from one of the most trusted institutes around?

I will value their opinions much more than anyone on MSM.

Pred...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

EXACTLY!! Another thing,why hasnt M.I.T. fixed their faulty information? I can get faulty information from MSM. Those at ground zero are having the hardest time fighting this,analyzing this. All fact no fear? Radiation poisoning is as fearful as you can get.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join