It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the perfect circle around the moon visible where you all are at?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
This is the second time I have seen this. Though this time isn't as perfect as the first. And no, I'm not referring to a moon halo.

The circle I'd say tonight looks as though it is composed of left over jet fumes or clouds or something. Any way it isn't directly around the moon, the circle is very wide, you have to look at the entire sky.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
where are you in the world?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
We had an enormous circle around the moon last night. Supposed to mean bad weather on the way. I did take pictures, i'll see if i can post them.....

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
This is a common occurence, I have seen it many times, must have something to do with the light refracting of water/dust particles as its on its way through our atmosphere.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
its a supermoon...thats actually what they call it....the moon is closer than it has been in over two decades...this weekend we will be treated to the biggest full moon you or i have ever seen...check this news article

world to see biggest full moon article

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Yes sir! I am looking at it as we speak. Very beautiful!!!!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

Yes it is here in Central Illinois as well. It was Last night too! It is a very huge circle way out from the moon, but
a perfect circle none the less. It has a bit of a haze to it tonight. Weird..

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
its a supermoon...thats actually what they call it...

A moon ring happens whether there is a super moon or not. It's caused by ice particles.
link

A moon ring, also known as a winter halo, is a phenomenon that usually appears in conjunction with a full moon. There appears to be a whitish ring, approximately 10 to 20 times the size of the moon, surrounding the moon and centered on it. It is caused by refraction of the light from the full moon in the ice particles floating in the clouds, as opposed to a rainbow, where light refracts in the water vapor that makes up the clouds.

edit on 14-3-2011 by Under Water because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Yes! I see it as well and i was going to start a thread about it as soon as i saw it but ATS wouldnt let me cuz im a new member
But im in Florida and i can see it clear as day but cant take pictures of it cuz its too dark. BUt can somebody plz explain to me what is the cause of it? Ive heard the water vapor thing but i dont understand how moisture in the air can cause a circle in the sky like this.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
What I see here in NJ is a half moon which seems to be coming out of a cloud, but there aren't any clouds. The stars are becoming visible. The cloud around the moon isn't moving. There's a nice blue ring between the moon and this cloudy ring.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Ok, here's my pic from last night.... don't know how to make pics show up in threads so just follow the link
moon ring pic

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Are you telling me the Moon has been replaced by a UFO?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Under Water

yep Thats a moon halo I believe.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

According to the Lore I was taught, the wider the ring, the colder it's to be.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

That looks pretty cool!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Its called a Corona. I remember seeing this when I was about 16 or 17 years of age, it was a nice sight!

Some more information can be found here www.atoptics.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

I can't see the moon because it's raining cats and dogs out there.

A ring around the moon usually means precipitation within the next 36 hours. It's an old wives tail, but usually fairly accurate. Friday night, we had a huge ring around the moon. Our precip showed up, right on time.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

Yup, I shot the moon ring last night and it rained this afternoon.....
I see these moon rings all the time, usually smaller than last nights, but still, see them all the time.

I think most people just don't get out enough... they are in front of their TV's and Computers all day and all night, and one day people are going to walk outside at night time and look in the sky and go "OMG! What are all those tiny little light in the sky! They are everywhere!) Hehehe! j/j!

edit on 14-3-2011 by Under Water because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by apate

Florida

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Everyone seeing the moon right tonight is east of me, that makes since. I saw it last night and the weather we had today is now moving towards you which is why your seeing it tonight.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join