It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prepare for Radioactive Fallout From Japanese Reactors

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by tmar11

Have you? Yes, the area around the Chernobyl disaster is still considered dangerous. But...

The Chernobyl reactor used graphite rods which ignited. The Japanese reactors do not use graphite rods.

The Chernobyl reactor had no containment vessel. The Japanese reactors do have containment vessels.

The fallout from Chernobyl was carried great distances, eventually the entire world (just as any material is). But high levels (considered risky with long exposure) were confined to an area of about 800 miles from the site.

users.owt.com...

Using Chernobyl as an example does not indicate that the US, or anywhere else other than Japan and Korea, would be subjected to dangerously high levels of fallout in the event of a meltdown.
edit on 3/15/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yes, and none of that means that the radiation will not reach here. It's fine to be worried about it, because it is something to be worried about.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by tmar11

Have you? Yes, the area around the Chernobyl disaster is still considered dangerous. But...

But we are talking about 6 reactors 4 of them melting down for sure, not one reactor ? and as I undrestand one of them using MOX. Also they are calling it a 7 now. Same level as Cernobyl.

edit on 15-3-2011 by pepsi78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by tmar11

It means that even in a worst case scenario there is very little to be worried about for North America or most of the world.

I find that worrying about things that, in all probability won't happen and things that I can do nothing about is not fine. I find it gets in the way of enjoying my life.

If you think it's fine to worry about such things, be my guest.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Great information,
anyone on the pacific coast needs to keep an eye out for
fallout reaching them.

This is not fear mongering THIS IS TRUTH!!

Prepare before it is too late this is a SHTF scenario!!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

There are three reactors considered at risk of meltdown. Two of those reactors seem to be stabilized.

I have not seen a change in status from a level 4 accident. I have seen that Andre-Claude Lacoste has said it should be considered level 6.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

reply to post by pepsi78

There are three reactors considered at risk of meltdown. Two of those reactors seem to be stabilized.

I have not seen a change in status from a level 4 accident. I have seen that Andre-Claude Lacoste has said it should be considered level 6.

You are wrong, sir.
This situation as Ive said before is totally different than any we've ever experienced.
These reactors are burning Mox fuel. You can NOT compare this with Chernobyl. All of the 6 reactors are now under fire. There was only ONE at Chernobyl. The 4th reactor was a hydrogen explosion..

15/03/2011 | Updated: 12:04 The ongoing nuclear accident at the Japanese central Fukushima reached level 6 gravity on the international level that are 7, said today the president of the Nuclear Safety Authority (ASN), Andre-Claude Lacoste.
Level 7 has been reached only once in the world, when the nuclear accident at the Ukrainian Chernobyl plant in 1986. The Japanese authorities have classified the accident in Fukushima 4 Saturday, following the massive earthquake and tsunami that hit the east coast of the archipelago. In Japan, "we are now in a situation different from that of yesterday.
It is quite clear that we are at a level 6, which is intermediate between what happened (to the Central American) Three Mile Island (in 1979) and Chernobyl, "said President of the ASN at a press conference in Paris. "We are in a disaster quite obvious, " he added.

www.lefigaro.fr...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

Three active reactors are at risk of meltdown.

Reactor #4 was not in operation at the time of the earthquake and tsunami. It is being used for storage of spent fuel. Yes, if the water boils away and if the containers of the spent fuel are damaged and if the spent fuel rods catch fire there would be a release of radioactive material.

Reactors 5 and 6 were not in operation at the time of the disaster. The opening of panels to release hydrogen (to avoid the possibility of explosion) in these two reactors is being considered. There have been neither fires nor explosions at these reactors.

Yes, I said that Lacoste considered the situation level 6.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Three active reactors are at risk of meltdown.

Reactor #4 was not in operation at the time of the earthquake and tsunami. It is being used for storage of spent fuel. Yes, if the water boils away and if the containers of the spent fuel are damaged and if the spent fuel rods catch fire there would be a release of radioactive material.

Reactors 5 and 6 were not in operation at the time of the disaster. The opening of panels to release hydrogen (to avoid the possibility of explosion) in these two reactors is being considered. There have been neither fires nor explosions at these reactors.

Yes, I said that Lacoste considered the situation level 6.

Im sorry to disagree, Phage..reactors 5 and 6 ARE showing problems. There is also over 1700 tons of spent fuel on the site.
www.nirs.org...

It is now confirmed by the Japanese cabinet secretary Edano that all 6 reactors at Fukushima are out of control and a complete meltdown is now underway. Fearing a full scale explosion of reactor 5 and 6 is being feared as residents have been asked to keep indoors

dawnwires.com... g-out-of-control-risk-of-radiation-meltdown/
edit on 15-3-2011 by Yummy Freelunch because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

wasnt chernobyl only at 5% operating capacity when it blew. the most serious one in japan is/was at 100% operating level, and the ones shutdown where still at 30% capacity. doesnt this make a difference?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by letscit
reply to post by Phage

wasnt chernobyl only at 5% operating capacity when it blew. the most serious one in japan is/was at 100% operating level, and the ones shutdown where still at 30% capacity. doesnt this make a difference?

Yes, I have a few posts back, put up all the info on Chernobyl. They were able to contain it within the building, itself.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
Iodine drops are great for water purification, it makes sense to have some around

Hey Ben there a couple reactors just up wind of you and they are on the new madrid fault

I'm surrounded by them here in Onterrible

lol Onterrible
love that
come to Quebec we have only 1 nuclear reactor

Wiki Link

Gentilly-2 is a standard CANDU 6 reactor, similar to the Point Lepreau Nuclear Generating Station. The CANDU 6 is a successful reactor type, and has been exported to South Korea, Argentina, Romania and China. The plant has a net output of 675MW(e). Unlike the adjacent Gentilly-1 reactor, Gentilly-2 has had a good service record since start-up in 1982, with a cumulative operating factor of 80.52%,[1] and is due to shut down for refurbishment sometime around 2011.

On August 19, 2008, Quebec announced that it will spend $1.9B to overhaul Gentilly-2 that should extend its lifespan to 2040.[2]

The G-2 site also houses a 500MW gas turbine generation plant.

all other plant are hydro plants in Quebec
way better than any nuclear plant those hydro plant even if they explode .. it wouldnt mather much

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Saying "cooling at 5 and 6 reactors seems to be a problem" is hardly the same as "all six reactors are out of control" as that blog states.

As I said preventative measures are being considered.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Saying "cooling at 5 and 6 reactors seems to be a problem" is hardly the same as "all six reactors are out of control" as that blog states.

If you say so, Phage. Please provide a link with preventative measures being taken.

They cant even get close enough to pump in water, if you've read the links.

They put out the 4th reactor fire, which restarted again. It doesnt even matter if reactors 5 and 6 do nothing at all..we still have a serious situation at hand. But 5 and 6 are not under control..the cooling systems HAVE failed. This is just a domino effect.

Reactor No. 4 appears to be the most pressing concern for the plant's operators. Radiation levels have prevented them from getting close enough to pump water in and spent fuel inside is at risk of overheating and spewing yet more radiation into the atmosphere.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

If you say so, Phage. Please provide a link with preventative measures being taken.

They cant even get close enough to pump in water, if you've read the links.

They put out the 4th reactor fire, which restarted again. It doesnt even matter if reactors 5 and 6 do nothing at all..we still have a serious situation at hand. But 5 and 6 are not under control..the cooling systems HAVE failed. IF the cooling systems have failed..does that not signify loss of control??
This is just a domino effect.

Reactor No. 4 appears to be the most pressing concern for the plant's operators. Radiation levels have prevented them from getting close enough to pump water in and spent fuel inside is at risk of overheating and spewing yet more radiation into the atmosphere.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by letscit

Yes. The thermal output of Chernobyl had been reduced to low levels for the test.

No. It did not reduce the severity of the accident. It actually may have contributed to it. The low level operation allowed a build of of xenon which slows nuclear reactions. This required the control rods to be extracted to their fullest extent. The reactor was pretty much "wide open" when the experiment which led to the meltdown was conducted.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
oops dang..double post..sorry..

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I said preventative measures are being considered.

Units 5 and 6 were shut down at the time of the earthquake. Unit 5 was shut down as of 3 January 2011. Unit 6 was shut down as of 14 August 2010. Both reactors are currently loaded with fuel.

As of 00:16 UTC on 15 March, plant operators were considering the removal of panels from Units 5 and 6 reactor buildings to prevent a possible build-up of hydrogen in the future. It was a build-up of hydrogen at Units 1, 2 and 3 that led to explosions at the Daiichi facilities in recent days.

www.iaea.org...

Please provide a source saying that the cooling systems for reactors 5 and 6 have failed.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Units 5 and 6 were shut down at the time of the earthquake. Unit 5 was shut down as of 3 January 2011. Unit 6 was shut down as of 14 August 2010. Both reactors are currently loaded with fuel.

As of 00:16 UTC on 15 March, plant operators were considering the removal of panels from Units 5 and 6 reactor buildings to prevent a possible build-up of hydrogen in the future. It was a build-up of hydrogen at Units 1, 2 and 3 that led to explosions at the Daiichi facilities in recent days.

www.iaea.org...

Please provide a source saying that the cooling systems for reactors 5 and 6 have failed.

I already did above..

Engineers were also keeping a close eye on the plant's No. 5 and No. 6 reactors amid fears they could overheat after cooling systems began to fail.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

www.iaea.org...

Are you saying that this is the preventative measures you are talking about? That they shut down 5 and 6 before the EQ? Im talking about NOW!!! They have CONSIDERED taking the panels off..they cant get close enough to do anything! What about the 1700 tons of fuel there!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join