It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potassium Iodide Runs Low as Americans Seek It Out

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
Odd how something that can kill you dead can also be used to save your life if used properly, and does it in exactly the same way it would if it were to kill you if used improperly, isn't it?

Yeah, it wasn't cancer, but that's beside the point. We're all born of radiation, we wouldn't be here without it. The sun is a giant fusion reaction, if the power companies didn't take the cheap way out with fission reactors, and developed good fusion reactors, nuclear power would be much safer. Maybe all this panic will result in pressure to get with it.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

If you are over 40 it is not recommended you take potassium Iodide. Read this brief article from Scientific American.

Does Potassium Iodide Protect People from Radiation Leaks? Drugmakers are claiming to be running out of the thyroid cancer preventative, but depending on age and other circumstances, its usefulness is limited

As a precautionary measure against radiation exposure, the Japanese have also distributed 230,000 units of potassium iodide tablets, comprising a stable form of iodine, to evacuation centers in the area around the Fukushima Daiichi and Fukushima Daini nuclear power complexes, according to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). Potassium iodide, which is available in the U.S. in 130- and 65-milligram doses (smaller doses are given to children), has been shown to protect the thyroid gland from the radioactive form of iodine released by nuclear accidents or emergencies that could lead to thyroid cancer.

Thyroid cancer ended up being the biggest negative health impact caused by the Chernobyl nuclear reactor disaster, according to a report issued last month by the United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation. The report (pdf) specifies that more than 6,000 Russian, Ukrainian and Belarusian residents who were children at the time of the disaster had been diagnosed with thyroid cancer as of 2006, the disaster's 20th anniversary. Fifteen of these people had died as of 2005.

As Japan struggles regain control of the Fukushima Daiichi plant, demand for potassium iodide is growing even 8,000 kilometers away on North America's west coast. Anbex, Inc., based in Williamsburg, Va., announced on its Web site Tuesday that it has sold out of its iOSAT brand of potassium iodide. Other makers of the substance have announced similar shortages.

Scientific American spoke with John Boice, a professor at Vanderbilt University's Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center and a cancer epidemiologist with the International Epidemiology Institute in Rockville, Md., to better understand why potassium iodide is in demand as well as what it can (and cannot) do. [An edited transcript of the interview follows.]

Why is potassium iodide administered to people who have been exposed to radioactive iodine?
The thyroid is like a sponge for iodine. It's been known from the 1970s that if you administer normal iodine the thyroid will absorb it and then block the uptake of subsequent exposures to radioactive iodine. Therefore, if you take potassium iodide and then are exposed to radioactive iodine, there won't be any place for it to go because your thyroid is all filled and the radioactive material will be excreted from the body.

One pill is good for 24 hours, but then you have to take another pill. You don't take two pills at once, because having too much potassium iodide isn't good for you either. Like anything else, it's not 100 percent effective, but it appears to be quite a benign thing to take, and it does block the uptake of radioactive iodine.

Here are some of the others questions addressed in this interview:

Is thyroid cancer the foremost risk when radioactive iodine is in the air?

Would potassium iodide protect a person from other forms of cancer?

Assuming there is more than radioactive iodine in the air, what can people do to protect themselves?

The radiation leak at Fukushima Daiichi appears to have increased demand for potassium iodide in the U.S. Is this a necessary precaution?

www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
reply to post by nenothtu

Canteen covers.
We are a couple of old dogs.
I remember starting out in jeeps, hueys and carrying NBC detection cards, antrophine, iodine tablets, MOPP gear. Attire was not at all fashionable and a nuclear war was the worry of the day.

Don't forget the decontamination wipes! Moist towelettes can be all the rage under certain circumstances! I've still got a gas mask and the MOPP hood to go with it, but the whole suit was just too draining. It was like having your own portable sauna. I'd love to get my hands on a couple of those atropine auto-injectors given the current climate, but I think that would be frowned upon.

Nice to know everybody has it all together now. Peace, progress, enlightenment, technology and us old grunts are obsolete.

You know, obsolescence has it's finer points. Maybe one day it will actually happen, but I think old age will take us down before it's a REAL reality. Until then, we just have to hang out and tell the youngsters not to swig straight from the bottle, tape the rattling parts, wipe the threads when they fill the canteen (although I think THOSE are obsolete now, too - but a CamelBak has threads at the filler cap, too), and keep their hands out of their pockets!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Good article; interesting to note that the mfg. company is out of the product, but is expecting more back in by Friday of this week, and is only charging $10 per pack plus shipping for orders. Glad to see a company that is NOT gouging buyers....

edit on 3/16/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I was apparently wrong in my recollection that it was Strontium-90 that caused thyroid trouble - it appears to be iodine-121 instead. Strontium-90 mimics calcium, and so makes milk a problem product for a while after a nuclear war.

Consider this as me correcting myself.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
Odd how something that can kill you dead can also be used to save your life if used properly, and does it in exactly the same way it would if it were to kill you if used improperly, isn't it?

You mean like water?

]

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   

With all due respect to the OP for this subject post, I feel your hopes are mis-directed.

You state in the OP, "I hope that the Governments..." This is the flaw in your hopes and faith. "Governments" will not save you. YOU must save yourself. "Governments" are not interested in YOU. We have been lied to by "governments" all our lives. WAKE UP. folks.

This is the KEY to this subject:

The time to prepare for an emergency is BEFORE disaster strikes!

Look, everyone has choices. If you had the chance to purchase IOSAT tabs and didn't then that was your choice. If you prepare for emergencies like shortage of food and water and means of exchange before an emergency strikes, then you are safer for it. On the other hand if you, as most do, prefer to buy the latest X-Box game and go on the whiz-bang vacation, rather than preparing for disaster, then don't cry for the "governments" to take care of you. You have set your own path and priorities.

My only regret is that when I purchased my & my wife's IOSAT tabs several months ago, that I didn't purchase several dozen additional to sell for ten times the price to the unprepared.

Good luck!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I have found some interesting info regarding archived psts and threads here on ats regarding the alien wars post by paul richards I am shutting down tonight but everyone take alook under search DULCE ALIEN S. I found stuff that relates even to our recent eartquakes and disaster especially the nuclear reactors. It explains wrings and events surrounding aliens trying to incite nukes stuff about other civilizations and atlantis, I am ver tired now but well worth bringing into this thread.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Peoples money may be better spent on the purchase of a second hand Geiger Muller counter from an Army surplus store. Having RAD treatment drugs is all well and good but how do you know when to take them if you cannot measure the background radiation levels?

If memory serves me correct, 7.5 microsieverts is max Radiological Absorbed Dose you would want to take, but you can find out on the internet pretty easy. some doses will be given in millirontgens, microsieverts and a sources activity (rate of decay) is in Gigabequerels.

AND

your very best protection against Ionizing radiation is DISTANCE.......
Get as much distance between you and the "source" as possible. Both Gamma rays and X-Rays obey the inverse square law, that is to say that if you double the distance between you and the source, the level of radiation will be quartered.

This is a complex subject and you need to know the difference between different forms of radioactivity....In nuclear reactor explosions ths radioactivity is carried away in clouds of soot and smoke and you really do not want to breathe this into your lungs as once it is inside your body you can never get rid of it.

If you are exposed to a naked source, the Gamma rays will pass through your body and you will not feel a thing, but it will smash your DNA into pieces.

some factors for shielding are as follows:

Thick lead is one of the best shields,
inch for inch concrete is 1/10th as efficient as lead
I hope nobody needs to use this info but its good to know.

PEACE,
RK

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Those rushing to take potassium iodide to counter the effects of radiation 5,000 mile away might like first to check the side effects:

www.medicinenet.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
I don't know. It would be interesting to know what other items are stockpiled at the USPS before making assumptions about whether this is SOP or not. Perhaps it is one of many precautions for this particular situation? Again, it was just a wild guess.

well I think I have figured out why the USPS
has 1.6 Million doses of this stuff.

Here's ya a scenario where it might be
critically needed in case of emergency.

A small post office that don't have radiation
detecting equipment might accept a package
over the counter for delivery. It is then shipped
to a regional distribution center. Every person
who touches it or works at the facility where it is
discovered may need an emergency dose to keep
from getting sick and dying. It is probably a
security protocol put in place after the ricin
was mailed to some congressmen. I bet the
post office has other pills stockpiled for other
scenarios such as a ricin discovery as well.
This would be a good example of why the post
office would need so much. They are probably
stored in minute quantities at the regional
distribution centers so they can be implemented
quickly as a safety precaution.

Remember some smaller post offices do not have
radiation detection devices and this will not get
discovered til it reaches the distribution centers.
Then they back track to the post where the
package came from with the anti-dote. Which
could include up to hundreds of people per
location or event.

but that's just a guess, I have no knowledge
of post office protocols. Just seems logical
to me if I were handling security.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

So people who want to stock up have a "bizarre jealousy of the victims"?
Are you for real? Potasium Iodide tablets are recommended to be included in most bug out bags by professional survivalists.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I live close enough to TMI to see the steam from the smoke stacks on my front porch (steel mills block the view of the actual stacks) so I already have the pills on hand. I am actually going to go out today to check the local pharmacies just out of curiosity to see if we too have ran out amidst the panic. If I can actually find some I intend on sending them to friends over on the west coast that live in the Bay Area, just in case. I am a strong believer that it is best to be prepared and have nothing happen then to have TSHTF and be unprepared.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I'm leaving for the California coast in the morning, I don't have any iodide, nor any plans to get any, nor desire to.

The reality is, that even if there is a worst case release, from all damaged reactors, it would likely take days to reach lethal levels on the west coast USA.

And IF that happens, no amount of iodide is going to save ANYONE in the danger zones... What good is your thyroid if the rest of you is doomed from exposure?... This is a horrible lie, people are being given a false sense of protection with these pills, which in fact will NOT save you from serious illness and death from exposure.

Wake up people, and smell the iodide lie for what it really is.
edit on 16-3-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ParkerCramer

Originally posted by frugal

"The best solution is to not drink the cows milk in radio active fallout areas, ever." he said.

How do you suppose we know exactly which cows are in a fallout area, and if they happened to have contributed to the gallon of milk I plan to purchase next week??

Or, are you proposing that we just don't drink milk for, oh, maybe a month, and magically, no harm will come to us??

Seems a little too simple for me.

From Frugal:
Take Calcium suppliments.
Have the cow's milk tested at the pasteurizing plant.
Stop drinking milk until you know it's safe.
Use dry powdered milk bought from some company far away.
Move away.
edit on 16-3-2011 by frugal because: The quote button didn't work right for my statement reply

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

potassium iodide capsules...protect you from both idodine and cesium by essentially flooding your body with the non-radioactive versions (cesium mimicks potassium as far as the body is concerned.) www.associatedcontent.com...

Cesium mimics potassium and collects in muscle in the body.
www.nirs.org...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
The reality is, that even if there is a worst case release, from all damaged reactors, it would likely take days to reach lethal levels on the west coast USA.

Based on our experience of Chernobyl, there's no way that's going to happen. The radiation would disperse long before it got haf way across the Pacific. Unless I died of radiation sickness 25 years ago and no-one told me?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
Those rushing to take potassium iodide to counter the effects of radiation 5,000 mile away might like first to check the side effects:

www.medicinenet.com...

Radiation poisoning isnt a fun way to go. I do not wish to bleed out my ears.
edit on 16-3-2011 by AndrewJay because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

Based on our experience of Chernobyl, there's no way that's going to happen. The radiation would disperse long before it got haf way across the Pacific. Unless I died of radiation sickness 25 years ago and no-one told me?

That is if this isnt WORSE than Chernobyl yes?

People can we please stop watching Fox news and do our own research? One thing we do know from Chernobyl is that mainstream media will lie, deny and cover everything up until they can no longer do so.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Fukishima is a dirty bomb - and its going off!

nuclear reactors use bundles of enriched uranium packed into stainless steel fuel rods in order to generate the heat that drives the turbines. You need to keep these bundles of pins cool otherwise they melt or burst.

Now, it seems the Fukushima power plant pulled spent fuel bundles (a collection of fuel rods) and stored them on site rather than shipping them to another location. Speculation is that in addition to the fires that are damaging the working reactor, these storage areas of their spent fuel bundles could [now] be on fire. This vastly compounds the problem of any meltdown, as this spent fuel will add to the contamination [because] it is extremely toxic.
www.naturalnews.com...

Folks, do what you can to protect you and yours now.

Potassium Iodide: There is already a worldwide deficiency of this product as people are buying this up. I personally think this product is a bit harsh and toxic and inferior to Nascent Iodine, but effective for acute radio-iodine exposure. Use as directed.

Sea Vegetables: Kelps are considered the highest in iodine, and contain the co-factors for proper iodine absorbtion. The good news is that sea vegetables taste great and thus you can still have the best time ever making a seaweed rich dinner while preparing for the worst disaster ever.

Ashwagandha extract: Ashwagandha acts as an adaptogen against stress and has been shown to regrow nerves.

The thyroid loves coconut oil and maca for its hormone precursor constituents.christianbates.com...

new topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join