It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

P Diddy Launches Black, Youth Voter Drive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I'm not really sure what to make of this, on the one hand it's a good thing if it encourages people to vote, but I don't know. I don't like the 'celebrity' factor creeping into politics, like Arnold and the proposed TV show in the U.K for budding politicians along the lines of 'pop idol'.... And I don't like P Diddy.

Anyway, what do you think?

Reuters

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Music and fashion mogul Sean "P. Diddy" Combs has made a fortune selling records and T-shirts but now he's found a new thing to market: voter turnout in the upcoming presidential election.

The creator of Bad Boy Entertainment and Sean John clothing on Tuesday launched Citizen Change -- a campaign he hopes will attract a record number of minority and young voters to the polls on Nov. 2.

"The forgotten ones will ultimately decide who the next president is," Combs said. "According to the latest polls, Bush and Kerry are neck and neck. We will make the difference. We will be the deciding factor."

....His campaign will include a line of "Vote or Die" T-shirts, an album, a voter registration push in cities and campuses nationwide, and television commercials on outlets like MTV and Black Entertainment Television.

....Black voters typically support Democratic candidates but minority groups and especially young voters vote in lower numbers than other groups.

Combs said his was a nonpartisan effort but many advisers are Democrats, including political guru James Carville, a key strategist for former President Bill Clinton.

I don't think he'll ever play in Scotland, A 'diddy' over here means erm... a very stupid person (and a tit)

Have to admit though I like the 'Vote or Die' T-shirt idea, but an album?!?.

[edit on 20-7-2004 by kegs]

join