It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why a draft wouldn't be bad for the US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I was browsing the web, looking at videos about the US occupation in the middle east and how soldiers behave. I came across videos such as "Generation Kill" and began to think about how morals have dropped to a low in the US Military. They recruit young high school graduates, whom have not aged enough to learn things about life and mature, build them how they want them and ship them out. On the battlefield, their judgment is based on what the officers tell them. I think a draft would be a good thing. On the battlefield you could have a physician fighting next to an auto mechanic. Different people of society that would fight for a common goal. People would want to go home to their families. This would also make it easier for public opinion to sway whether we go to war or not. People would be called up to fight, and they would resist knowing the circumstances. I don't know how to explain it. But also we live in times where people walk around brain dead and only care about American Idol. Just something to ponder.

Generation Kill video: www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
"Generation Kill" - haven't we learned anything from Vietnam?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by USamf

Yeah right dude! Yeah I mean, I think its a good idea for us to be forced to murder people too... NOT! It's a shame the world is in the position it is in today. Killing our brothers. The taliban are bad, but they are still your brothers. They're no more misguided than any pro-war juggernaut. war is murder, no matter who or for what reason you're killing for. Just ask a marine that has half a brain. They have nightmares and stuff just like an american civilian inmate convicted of murder.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
The only way I would agree with a draft is quite simple...

Only those able and qualified to go to war would be able to vote for it... And those who vote in favor of it are automatically drafted... They report that day...

yeah im getting it from Heinlein but it is the only fair way..

You can require every person of legal requirements to vote.. those who vote no get drafted very last...

Oh and those things about doctors serving with mechanic... would not be allowed to happen... the doctor would be at worst case scenario assigned to be a medic...

the mechanic on the other hand would be assigned with the guy from mcdonalds and the bank teller will be infantry odds are...

Unless it does get based on experience... till then only high level skills will be respected in a draft... every one else historically is bullet bait

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by USamf

So let me get this straight...

You think that giving the already psychopathic leaders of the United States access to about 110 million more "possible troops" would be a good thing?

There are a few things about the military you fail to understand. When you 'join up' you are then SYSTEMATICALLY BROKEN DOWN to the point that you are able to kill another human being without a second thought or remorse. You are built to follow the orders of your commanding officers without question. Are taught that everything you do is "For our freedom".

If you want people to 'mingle' and 'share ideas' to better ourselves, start with yourself, go out and LOVE EVERYONE. Be happy, take the time to stop and appreciate the pure and beautiful life you have been given.

But for the love of all things good on this planet STAY AWAY FROM THE MILITARY.

Peace and Love, (rule the universe)

-Lightrule

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
When and if the first shot is fired in aggression on American soil, I will gladly pick up a rifle and fight for my country.

But I say to hell with going over to any far off country to shoot peasants and other poor people (like me) in order to grab up oil resources and to spread corporate imperialism.

Im not getting my legs blown off for Exxon....and Im sure not gonna kill any women and children just because some "officer" says I should.

There is right and wrong in the world, those who know the difference have always known...and those who dont never will.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
A draft? Are you daft?

A draft should only be used as a dire measure to protect our country, not as a mechanic to seize assets and commodities in foreign countries.

What we should be doing is recalling our troops, closing our borders, and figuring out how to clean up the mess in our own country. I'm not saying we should become isolationists. I'm saying we should be focusing our efforts here in the Motherland. We bomb the hell out of Iraq, subversively overthrow the Iraqi government, rebuild everything in our image our likeness, and in the meantime America is falling apart.

Now you want to start up a draft and do what? A pre-emptive strike on Iran or N. Korea? Hit them now, just for good measure or just for what they might be thinking?

I have an idea for you. Why don't we start a war in America. A war on inflation, a war on corruption, a war on education?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I believe that if and when a real threat is posed to our country that people will fight or at least fill the factory floors to build what's necessary to survive. The reason there is so much disagreement going on is because, believe it or not, there're no present dangers that present a mortal threat to this country. Terrorism is not a mortal threat. When I say mortal threat I mean something like russia or china or an alien force on our shores. When a gun is aimed at you, you don't argue you react.

What this is really about is people not liking that others disagree with them.
edit on 14-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Let's try seeing past all this NEED for troops and soldiers beyond the basic needs for them, which is for extreme situations. All wars as far back as I can remember have all been staged events, pawns vs the pawns while the instigators watch from their luxury box seats.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by USamf

I would rather go to prison than fight for the US military. I'm not going to go fight for corporate interests.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I do agree with the op, if there was a draft right now those wars in Irag and Afghanistan wouldve been over a long time ago. Thats the problem when a country goes to war without shared sacrafice, people dont care, it doesnt effect them.

Thats why you had huge protests during the Vietnam war the draft made the war effect everyone, and the people rose up and forced the poloticians to bring the troops home.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by USamf

So then you think that sending people to kill others in war would IMPROVE their morals and somehow stimulate them to not be brain-dead and to not love American Idol? What? If you want smart people with decent morals avoiding war would probably be better than sending people there, especially sending people essentially against their will. How about investing all that money in education instead of killing? As for taste in television shows that's pretty subjective and I don't think a draft would stop people from watching reality TV shows.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by USamf

I'd rather see it made compulsory that all teenagers at school are shown videos of the damage and death caused by war..
Especially that done to innocents like women and children..

Then maybe they would grow up knowing that war is bad and should be a last resort in defense, not a first option for corporate greed..

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by USamf

Even with a draft, the rich kids always get some kind of deferment, while it's the poor that wind up dead, maimed and forgotten.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I agree. I think that any eligable child of a Congressman must be drafted first if another draft is activated. Even so, they would probably put the Congressman's child in South Beach Miami to man a satellite dish or something.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by USamf

You don't have children, do you? I think our military would be better served by those who actually CHOOSE to serve. Let's force kids in; yeah...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by USamf

Forcing anything on Americans just feels so wrong....I know we had a draft in Vietnam. I have a really hard time being told to do something, something as important as being forced to go to war sets me on edge. I'm most likely super independent and dislike anyone telling me what to do. I immediately cringe and want to dig in my heels when someone gets an idea like this. Somehow, it rubs me the wrong way. I don't want to be told what to do, least of all by my government!
edit on 15-3-2011 by queenofsheba because: spelling yet again, sigh

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I'm sorry I have to whole-heartedly disagree with you. This is why...

I was browsing the web, looking at videos about the US occupation in the middle east and how soldiers behave. I came across videos such as "Generation Kill" and began to think about how morals have dropped to a low in the US Military.

First of all, why would they be in low moral? What are they fighting for? For their freedom? No. For the lives of their families? No. For their rights? No. Maybe for (as far fetched as it is) Liberation of the Iraq or Afghan people? No. For oil? Hmmmm...Maybe so or maybe not...They are fighting because the guy at the top told them they have to. Then they are told they have to do it with minimal manning...and then no armor. Forced to leave their families one year there, then home for a few months, then back again...Then, when they come back and attend the funeral for their fallen buddy, they can expect anti-gay church protesters...
Let's move on...

They recruit young high school graduates, whom have not aged enough to learn things about life and mature, build them how they want them and ship them out. On the battlefield, their judgment is based on what the officers tell them.

This is the whole point of military training. Do what your told and do it fast. Not to sit and decide for yourself what you are going to do, especially in the battlefield. You grew up being told that killing people is wrong, that it is the worst thing you can do, and now you have to do it...chances are if you are using your own judgment you are going to die. There is a chain of command for a reason.

Moving on....

I think a draft would be a good thing. On the battlefield you could have a physician fighting next to an auto mechanic. Different people of society that would fight for a common goal. People would want to go home to their families.

First of all, even in a draft a physician would not be fighting next to an auto mechanic. They place you based upon your skills...so physician would be working hospital duty and auto mechanic would fix things. The other part of that would be the cut in pay that physician would have to take....I wouldn't want to be fighting next to someone who just lost like 85% of his pay and being forced into possibly dying. Second, wars last a very long time...it's not a, "c'mon joe let's go git this here war dun so we can head back home to the family!" getting to see your family is not a "common goal" to make people do things...that's like holding people hostage. People coming together for a common goal? Try going to the voting booths and electing someone who doesn't start wars for their own financial gain. Just sayin...

Moving on...

This would also make it easier for public opinion to sway whether we go to war or not. People would be called up to fight, and they would resist knowing the circumstances. I don't know how to explain it. But also we live in times where people walk around brain dead and only care about American Idol. Just something to ponder.

As for public opinion swaying anything in politics these days, just look around you! They just cut collective bargaining rights in a few states with over half of the people freaking out at the capital buildings. You would think that the United Nations saying, "No....that's not a good idea" would have swayed it. No. Look....I understand how frustrating everything is right now. I feel it...we all do...I don't think a draft would be a good idea at all in this country. It would never work. People wouldn't do it. There would not be enough jail cells in this country to contain the amount of people they would have to put away.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by USamf

I see your mood is American

I'm American - also

if they bring back the draft - I swear - I will start setting things on fire

think about what you're saying

top topics

join