It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disturbing Bible quotes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
These are just a few that I have found. There must be perfectly good explanations as to these scripture quotes.

Deuteronomy

7:1-2 When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations . . . then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy.

Ezekiel

20:25-26 I also gave them over to statutes that were not good and laws they could not live by; I let them become defiled through their gifts—the sacrifice of every firstborn—that I might fill them with horror so they would know that I am the LORD.

Exodus

21:20-21 If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.

Leviticus

20:13 If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death.

20:10 If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.

20:9
If anyone curses his father or mother, he must be put to death.

Exodus 35:2
For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it must be put to death.

Deuteronomy 22:20-1 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house.

20:10-17 When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. When the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. . . . This is how you are to treat all the cities that are at a distance from you and do not belong to the nations nearby.
However, in the cities of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. Completely destroy them—the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—as the Lord your God has commanded you.

Source- The Bible
edit on 14-3-2011 by Theophorus because: d

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
And all these happy and glorious things are brought to you today by the letter D. As in Damn, I can't believe such a loving god exists and wants us to be happy folks. Ever wonder why there are those who refuse the christian faith, or any other god that demands blood? Well, there ya go folks. An to those who will say "Oh but thats the OLD testement" guess what, boogerbutt? That old testement is still taught and parroted by zelots, madmen, and child molesting pastors every sunday. In the classical words of that irreverent genius Monty Python, " I FART in your general direction!"

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by volafox

Certainly there are Christians out there that have a perfectly good explanation as to why? Lets here them out before we condemn.Its only fair. right?
edit on 14-3-2011 by Theophorus because: spell

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Oh come on now, There must be some one out there with some biblical intelligence that can explain this.
edit on 14-3-2011 by Theophorus because: (no reason given)

I am not being facetious in any way.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by volafox

First off, it's all relative. What works one day may not work the next. Thus, Jesus showed up and pretty much trumped all of that stuff. Yeah, it is the Old Testament, you've got that right, but every "Christian's" interpretation is different. Why post yet another "let's bash other people's religions because we don't agree with some of it" post? Seriously, we get it, not everybody believes what the Bible tells them. Yeah, I agree, those quotes don't exactly preach love and peace, but that doesn't mean the other lessons the Bible can offer is wrong. For instance, "don't judge others." Just because some sick pastors touch little kids doesn't mean they all do. Just because some churches protest homosexuality doesn't mean all Christians hate gays. Not everybody moves to the drum that you do so don't go out and try and attack their faith by digging up quotes that you don't understand. Also, Monty Python wasn't a guy, it was a group. That line was delivered by John Cleese. If you're going to quote something you should try to understand it first.
Peace!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
correction! The quote was delivered by the frenchman on top of the castle wall while delivering a pithy diatribe of nonsense. Sound familiar? Heh! Besides, Jesus DID trump most of the negativity, thank er...well, you know. Unfortunately that seems to fall by the wayside when it serves the majority of the herd...um, populace. Now if some bright and enterprising young upstart could just do it again..... wow.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
only because its from the old testament and thats how it was then. You wont find those things in the new testament. Unless its referred to. Christ came and brought a new way of things.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by earthart

God uttered this/inspired by God. God is not in our space time continuum. He is in eternity. Gods word is unchanging.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
whether they are from the old or new testament, it would stand to reason that the NEW that you say was changed by Jesus is more a representation of his contributions and not a completely new version and so wouldn't absolve the wrath of God from the OLD, would it?
that being said, Jesus is but the son.. so who is he to change the will or ways of the father? Seems like its still the same god, people are just reading a different story, its like telling little red riding hood to a small child and leaving out the part where the grandma gets eaten; you need the whole story!

though most of those quotes could explain things like the crusades and other wars with both sides fighting for "God"
then again maybe the "old" testament is just a revision of an even older book, written again to fit the writers needs (a king or something)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theophorus
reply to post by volafox

Certainly there are Christians out there that have a perfectly good explanation as to why? Lets here them out before we condemn.Its only fair. right?
edit on 14-3-2011 by Theophorus because: spell

Simple, it is the easiest way to enable future generations to live in peace without them crying about "stolen land" or "broken treaties". In the Canaanites where engaging in human sacrifice and other deplorable taboos. And they only where able to move into the region because the jaw's left when they went to Egypt during the drought.

Imagine you had to leave your home for a couple of years because of a natural disaster and came back to find a bunch of destitute vagabonds camping out in your front yard engaging in human sacrifice. Wouldn't you grab your shotty?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
For Deuteronomy 7:1-2 you must read before in Genesis 15:16 "But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full." You, of course, will need to read before it to get it in context.

This is God mentioning to Abraham (named Abram still though) that his seed, specifically Israel's seed, will go into bondage in Egypt and come out and destroy the Amorites, and the rest of the Caananites, but only when they are deservedly sinful to be punished. This is the punishment, as their iniquities deserve so it is inflicted.

Ezekiel 20:25-26 is taken out of context. If you read all the verses preceding it you will read that God had set them judgments that should execute and live in but the Israelites refused it in favor of the neighboring religions. He gave them up into the heathen ways that they should be submerged in them and face the total horrible reality that exists within and feel the brutal consequence of unjust and uncaring living.

Exodus 21:20-21 shows that one shouldn't beat his slave to a severe degree. You cannot always tell how much a man can withstand punishment and thus one shouldn't punish aboundantly lest one mortally wound him. This is how I've intrepreted it. I've always seen the slaves as commonday workers and this is how they lived and if one did that which was wrong he should punished accordingly. Take this as you will.

Leviticus 20:13 obviously talks about homosexuality. It shows not to partake in sex just for the sensual pleasures. Death is rather severe but shows a message that conquest of the flesh shouldn't be sought after. Yes, this is possible with a woman but is harder because the man knows that it is possible that a child could be had in consequence of this adventure, being before birth control.

Does it make this better if he goes after with only lust in mind? No, but God knows the heart and will sufficently punished in what ever way is just.

For Levitius 20:10 I think I have summed up what it means in the previous question. But, marriage is also a sacred bond between two people to raise a family and shouldn't be trampled under through sexual desire. Again, death is severe but it signifies the death between man and God that occurs through such sinful behavior which is much worse.

Leviticus 20:9 teaches to honor one's parents. Be obedient and do not act evilly against them. I find the death to also be symbolic of the spiritual death between God and man.

Exodus 35:2 shows for one to quit work for this temporal life and seek the eternal. Do not do evil but righteousness as God does. Seek Him.

Deuteronomy 22:20-21 again shows that one shouldn't seek sexual pleasure but God; the eternal and not that which is temporary.

Deuteronomy 20:10-17 I find the last section very spiritual and also explained in the first.

Now I doubt I have given you sufficent reason to fully validate these verses as good or holy but I do hope to leave you with the perception each verse or set of verses do not necessarily contain malevolent explanations but can have spiritual or righteous ones.

Also, for my fellow Christians, do not disregard the Old Testament; for Jesus Himself said He came not to abolish but to fulfil. Does this mean to exact as the Torah or the rest of the Old Testament may show or connote? No, but that God fulfils these necessary consequences for the evolution of the soul.

Rather, have mercy and forgive men their actions against you and hope for mercy throughout that they may move on from iniquity into righteousness. Pray for those who do evil that evil be not laid to their charge but that God forgive in His righteous Will and that they may turn to goodness.

I apologize for the long response but I feel it was required. If you have any response I welcome it.
Let us learn together.

God and His love be with you forever.
edit on 6-6-2011 by JeshurunAndronicus because: Wasn't completely finished but had to end posing before I was done

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by volafox
And all these happy and glorious things are brought to you today by the letter D. As in Damn, I can't believe such a loving god exists and wants us to be happy folks. Ever wonder why there are those who refuse the christian faith, or any other god that demands blood? Well, there ya go folks. An to those who will say "Oh but thats the OLD testement" guess what, boogerbutt? That old testement is still taught and parroted by zelots, madmen, and child molesting pastors every sunday. In the classical words of that irreverent genius Monty Python, " I FART in your general direction!"

Like it or not, the Old Testament has been superseded.
By the way, your foully insulting psychotic little rant of a post has been reported, though I doubt my report will do any good "boogerbutt".. (What a primary school insult!) To translate "elementary" school, which in the USA runs from 7-13 years old, right?

top topics

join