It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reactor #2 At Fukushima Detonates (third reactor explosion...now fourth!)

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Sky News report there are problems with getting water into reactor number 4.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
something to consider...and expect to come about over there in Sendai, Japan

Potassium iodide cannot protect against any other causes of radiation poisoning, nor can it provide any degree of protection against dirty bombs that produce radionuclides other than isotopes of iodine. See fission products and the external links for more details concerning radionuclides.

en.wikipedia.org...

Historical use and analysisFollowing the Chernobyl nuclear reactor disaster in April, 1986, a saturated solution of potassium iodide (SSKI) was administered to 10.5 million children and 7 million adults in Poland[23] as a prophylactic measure against accumulation of radioactive iodine-131 in the thyroid gland. People in the areas immediately surrounding Chernobyl itself, however, were not given the supplement.[24]

Potassium iodide’s (KI) value as a radiation protective (thyroid blocking) agent was demonstrated at the time of the Chernobyl nuclear accident when Soviet authorities distributed it in a 30 km zone around the plant. The purpose was to protect residents from radioactive iodine, a highly carcinogenic material found in nuclear reactors which had been released by the damaged reactor. Only a limited amount of KI was available, but those who received it were protected. Later, the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) reported, “thousands of measurements of I-131 (radioactive iodine) activity...suggest that the observed levels were lower than would have been expected had this prophylactic measure not been taken. The use of KI...was credited with permissible iodine content in 97% of the evacuees tested.”[25

lets see if the IAEA starts dosing the evacuees in shelters... or gives them the brushoff...
if official waffling starts with rationalizing that iodine is not a factor in these reactor disastors
then my eyebrows will be raised in a 'Spock' fashion

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Does anyone know why the Radiation Network website is no longer on the server?

This is the link from a thread here in the past day or two that was working fine until a couple of hours ago.

Radiation Network

The map showed radioactivity levels in various parts of the U.S.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

Yep! Because if you go to the link, they are now offering the software at $79.00. Just another human looking to profit from the disaster! God help us when something does happen in the United States.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by 1curious1

Actually the site is just gone, I never saw anything trying to sell you anything, they did have links to supported Geiger counters you can buy.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
BBC just reporting about US claiming low level radiation is being picked up at yukasuku-they have a base there South West Tokyo.
No link as yet as its breaking.

edit
link here now;

www.foxnews.com...
edit on 15-3-2011 by martin3030 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by 1curious1

Actually the site is just gone, I never saw anything trying to sell you anything, they did have links to supported Geiger counters you can buy.

Look again. Then tell them how badly they suck; I did. www.radiationnetwork.com...

BTW. A 6.4 earthquake in Shizuoka on the Japanese scale (How does that equate to the Richter Scale?) JUST NOW. www.cnn.com...

Quakes are moving south, just like TrueAmerican predicted.

edit on 3/15/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Look again. Then tell them how badly they suck; I did. www.radiationnetwork.com...

i don't see how going to a non-existant contact page is going to get anything done. Has anyone else been directed to a page selling this software? Everyone I've talked to has merely gotten a 404.

this could be as simple as malware, or even a crappy ISP redirecting 404 pages. This happens all the time.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet
i doubt anyone anywhere other than japan will be effected.

its very easy to get ATS syndrome and get sucked in to the fear mongering, and then to think that you are in danger when in reality, theirs most likely no danger to anyone other than those close to where this incident is happening in china ... and maybe to anyone who happens to live close to china in the pacific.

as far as i believe (i could well be wrong) ... for any bad dust to get to south africa, it would need to go all round the world the long way via jet stream , thats over the pacific, over america, over the atlantic, and maybe over france or that area... thats a long long way and if it was bad enough to get their i think most of the world would be in trouble.

This is true since most of the radiation should be behind the primary containment, but the new threat are the spent fuel rods in storage that are outside of primary containment. They're now having trouble keeping one of these pools filled with water & if these begin burning they will do so in the open which will cause huge amounts of radiation to go into the air & be carried by winds. This is a much different scenario than the one they've been dealing with thus far & far more dangerous to a wider area.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ethancoop

Go to DigitalGlobe and download the latest satellite photos.
This disaster could have been averted if Tokyo Electric had placed the back up diesel
generators up on top of that hill where other buildings were not touched by the tidal wave.
Just run underground power cables down to the reactor power distribution panels.

-----------------------------
Also put watertight hatches on the reactor buildings instead of normal doors.
edit on 15-3-2011 by Eurisko2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Michael Rivero at What Really Happened says there have been THREE TOTAL MELTDOWNS, which is being covered-up by the Japanese government that now controls all information. He says the MOX (mixed plutonium/uranium) fuel rods are particularly nasty and plutonium explosions send up a brownish smoke, compared to white or invisible smoke from a hydrogen explosion. This is how he knows they were total meltdowns.

As usual, we're being lied to by ALL governments and the lackey corporate media.

Rivero claims nuclear reactors were built primarily as a source of spent plutonium for nuclear weapons. He says iodized salt or sea salt is as effective as iodine tablets, which can have side effects, especially if taken too early or too frequently. He also says smokers will expose themselves to more radioactive substances like polonium -- the real cause of cancer -- than they'll ever receive from nuclear fallout.

edit on 3/15/2011 by GoldenFleece because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by odyseusz

Originally posted by SirMarkth
reply to post by Electronegativity

I don't mean to be selfish here, just worried as my wife is currently 11 weeks pregnant, but would / could Radioactive fallout possible reach us here in South Africa? I Googled the distance between South Africa and Japan and it was +- 13000 Km's as compared to the distance from Japan to Canada which is about 8000 Km's?

If I had to pick a bit of land to say "here is the safest place possible" it would have to be down here is South Africa.
Not only are we separated by the north/south hemisphere weather systems, we are possibly as far as you can be from japan, its very near completely opposite according to my globe.
Also between here and central Africa is the bit of land the further-est from any plate boundaries etc...
You can't get safer
don't sweat it

This is why I say, evacuate them to here, all of them.
Particularly since that flied lice plick! Siener Van Rensburg predicted that Japan would be Destroyed by an earth quake and now they say another big one is imminent... and TrueAmerican reckons the triple plate boundary is looking bad

Just start evacuating them to here already!!!

I don't know why you are so happy if you have such nuclear power-plant in your country
Probably one of the most unreliable in the world.
en.wikipedia.org...

What do you mean "So Happy" Huh? don't get where you are coming from saying this??? Anyway, the most likely reason it (Koeberg Nuclear Reactor) doesn't bother us so, is because we here in sunny South Africa are not prone to Earthquakes, Tsunamis and the like, pretty stable our continent, and whatever it is you are referring to in life when it comes to being reliable or not is all connected with MAINTENANCE, yes, Koeberg comes from the French and it is very old tech., but whatever, if it's maintained properly and regularly then no matter how old it is, it will still be very reliable, so what's the worry and where are you coming from with your statements????

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
A lot of people have compared this situation to nuclear bombs, but there is much more radioactive material in these reactor cores than there is in any nuclear bomb.

According to various sources that I have scanned through a typical modern BWR (boiling water reactor) like the ones at risk can be comprised of up to 74 to 100 fuel rods, consisting of between 100 to 140 tons of uranium, or other combinations of highly radioactive fuels, including plutonium.

A typical nuclear bomb contains mere pounds of these materials.

These BWR reactors cores are MASSIVE. and this example displays the complexity of the reactor core, containing the nuclear fuel(s) rods.

The huge core is at the center of the above reactor housing structure.

If these cores are breached, the release of radiation, and radioactive particulates will dwarf that of any release from a nuclear bomb.

If there is a complete meltdown, it will be even worse.

Food for thought.

edit on 15-3-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Does nobody in Japan besides the govt there have a geiger counter??? I dont understand that. You can get one for about $150 U.S. dollars. What I dont understand is why arent there people using twitter, social media (ect.) to get out radiation levels from various place in Japan?? Obviously the Japanese govt is not giving out any info right now. (we may never know the whole story)

Anybody out there????

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Riff2525

www.ustream.tv...

There's one from Tokyo, however, it's the only stream I know of.

Edit: for comparison, at 8am PST the counter read ~13cpm....as of 9:47amPST the counter reads 26.4cpm.

My heart goes out to those in Japan right now....tough times ahead...
edit on 15-3-2011 by Bearzooka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
A note on CNN's article:

edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/15/japan.nuclear.reactors/index.html?hpt=T1

CNN makes the claim that "The latest incidents, an explosion Tuesday at the plant's No. 2 reactor and a fire in a cooling pond used for nuclear fuel at the No. 4 reactor, briefly pushed radiation levels at the plant to about 167 times the average annual dose of radiation...".

So if you look up wikipedia, it lists the average American's radiation dose as 6.2 mS/yr. Thus we'd conclude that 1 Sievert was measured at the reactor.

This demonstrates how irresponsible our Western media is. In fact, according to their source (IAEA, which fortunately they give) the dose was 400 mS/hr. They take as their annual average figure 2.4 mS/yr, which gives the factor 167.

Why the discrepancy? Two reasons. Firstly, the average annual dose in the US is higher than elsewhere. Secondly there is a difference between the average annual exposure to natural background radiation and the average annual radiation exposure. Not all sources of radiation are natural.

And besides, why is CNN reporting this as updated news?

Only way down in the article do you find the actual up-to-date news, that the cooling facilities at reactors #5 and #6 are now having problems.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bearzooka
reply to post by Riff2525

www.ustream.tv...

There's one from Tokyo, however, it's the only stream I know of.

Edit: for comparison, at 8am PST the counter read ~13cpm....as of 9:47amPST the counter reads 26.4cpm.

My heart goes out to those in Japan right now....tough times ahead...
edit on 15-3-2011 by Bearzooka because: (no reason given)

Thank you very much. Would you (or anyone else) please post every once in a while to keep us updated?? Not everyone can view the site that you posted. I'm using a cell phone dongled to my laptop and my connection is to slow. I'm sure many people are in the same situation. Maybe someone should start a Radiation Level THREAD... Hint....Hint...
Thanks again.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Ok...So on fox they had a scientist who was doing radiation levels on the reporters. The lady reporter had a geiger counter on her side that read around 9.....The doctor told her that you have to be concerned if it reaches 30. Now on fox they're saying that radiation levels in Tokyo are 7x normal level.. If my math is correct:
9x7= 63

Am I missing something here????

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Trajectories models ;

blogg.klart.se...

blogg.klart.se...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Riff2525
Ok...So on fox they had a scientist who was doing radiation levels on the reporters. The lady reporter had a geiger counter on her side that read around 9.....The doctor told her that you have to be concerned if it reaches 30. Now on fox they're saying that radiation levels in Tokyo are 7x normal level.. If my math is correct:
9x7= 63

Am I missing something here????

No, the people in Tokyo should not be concerned. The lady reporter should be.

7x normal level is nothing to be concerned about. It's orders of magnitude below the level where you'd be concerned regarding short term exposure. Only if this persisted for the rest of your life would you be worried.

new topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join