It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

experiencing racism.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
anybody?
i had a crazy week at a flea market in a small new mexico town.
the area is by and large hispanic, including a large population of illegals.
1st odd thing to occur.
i was speaking with a puebloan guy i've known for a while. nice guy, great conversations, till this happened.
i mentioned that a navajo friend was coming to visit and he basically said, 'don't bring him around me, we don't get along.'
huh? i asked why.
he says, 'for many generations we avoid each other. the navajo scouts helped the cavalry track down us when my ancestors were on the run.'
i was relatively dumbfounded by this. i asked him why he talks to me, gave no answer.

2nd,
i'm pretty much surrounded by hispanic people. pretty much the only gringo in a line of vendors.
a black man pulls in with a truck and trailer.
i hear in both spanish and english the 'n' word spoken.
the black guy pulls in across the isle. luckily i had just begun to set up, i pack and move across to be next to him.
great guy, have known him for years.

i can easily continue, my exposure to so many people on the weekends boggles my mind concerning some of the things i hear.

anyone willing to join in a conversation like this?

edit on 14-3-2011 by rubbertramp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
People are just ignorant and need someone to blame certain faults to. Like the saying goes "Sticks and stones may break my bones but word will never hurt me,".

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

Well, I for one am sick of the word 'racism' and all the nonsense surrounding it AND the way it's exploited endlessly

Look, your experience SHOULD have illustrated to you that aversion to those unlike ourselves is hard-wired

And so what ? If it weren't, there would BE no races at this point in time. There would be no unique Japanese or Inuit or Icelandic or other cultures. We'd all be one big mess seeking to differentiate ourselves in some other way, in the same way people believe THEIR tattoo is the standout one instead of realising they're all just a blur or skin markings

There is nothing WRONG with people of one culture seeking to avoid those of other cultures. It's natural and it's always been that way

Just because the New World Order has brainwashed you and millions of others to believe that something natural is also wrong, does not mean that everyone is prepared to obey and be brainwashed by, the New World Order and its minions

In years to come, it will be those cultures which have refused to comply with this insane hysteria about 'racism' who'll be most admired and emulated

So what if the Navaho and the Mexican and the African American aren't clasped in loving embrace singing We Are One ? So what ?

Do you force yourself to like and interact with neighbours to whom you have a natural aversion ? Bet you don't

So leave it alone and don't be such a sheep, is my advice

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9

Well, I for one am sick of the word 'racism' and all the nonsense surrounding it AND the way it's exploited endlessly

Look, your experience SHOULD have illustrated to you that aversion to those unlike ourselves is hard-wired

And so what ? If it weren't, there would BE no races at this point in time. There would be no unique Japanese or Inuit or Icelandic or other cultures. We'd all be one big mess seeking to differentiate ourselves in some other way, in the same way people believe THEIR tattoo is the standout one instead of realising they're all just a blur or skin markings

There is nothing WRONG with people of one culture seeking to avoid those of other cultures. It's natural and it's always been that way

Just because the New World Order has brainwashed you and millions of others to believe that something natural is also wrong, does not mean that everyone is prepared to obey and be brainwashed by, the New World Order and its minions

In years to come, it will be those cultures which have refused to comply with this insane hysteria about 'racism' who'll be most admired and emulated

So what if the Navaho and the Mexican and the African American aren't clasped in loving embrace singing We Are One ? So what ?

Do you force yourself to like and interact with neighbours to whom you have a natural aversion ? Bet you don't

So leave it alone and don't be such a sheep, is my advice

ah, nice rant.
quite ignorant of you to stereotype me like you have.
i almost didn't want to respond, but i will give one small one.
it's not the seperation that bothers me, not in the least, i actually agree with part of what you said.
it is the hatred i avoid.
so, since you obviously know so much about me, i'll return the favor.
i can only assume that you personally toss around the 'n' word on a daily basis.

Do you force yourself to like and interact with neighbours to whom you have a natural aversion ?

that was absolutely pathetic. i only avoid people who hold hatred in their hearts.
i don't care who somebody is, i only care if they are willing to live and interact in peace.
if people choose self-segregation that is entirely their choice.
but if they choose to show hatred in the words they use then yes, i avoid them.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I believe it is learned behavior; words we have heard spoken by the adults around us in our childhood. I would say the older generation, those in their 70's and above, have all those words in their vocabulary and were commonly used in their time. I know that my parents used terms such as, "dumb Polack," "Wetbacks,""Dumb Swedes," "Micks," "Jews," "Drunken Indians," "Krauts" (for the Germans), "Slant Eyes," ...."Dirty Indians" and of course the "N" word; the list goes on. I think it's something that our children are getting away from, thank goodness. I know I don't speak it/teach it so hopefully it ends now.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

I believe it is learned behavior

in ways i agree,yet, also disagree.
i see it as more of a pack mentality.
many of those i heard mention anything about my black friend were quite nice when meeting and talking with them.
i speak a bit a spanish and tend to understand far more than they think i do.
when alone, i've never heard things similar, but in a group the conversation can be quite different.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Maybe it is a pack mentality. I live such a private life in a rural area, and to be honest, not so much a culturally diverse area. I myself experienced a bit of racism as a kid because I had dark tan skin, dark hair and eyes (my Native American showing through; part of), but as I grew older my looks changed a bit. When I have visited relatives in the cities I guess I can say that I have seen that sort of pack mentality, which to me makes no sense at all but then again, I don't live there day to day. Trust me, I understand racism and what really gets me is the people who live in Texas who hate the Mexicans. Umm, did ya forget that Texas used to part of Mexico? And other areas; not just picking on Texas. I wish people could let go of their prejudices and it seems to be in all cultures, races; what-have-you. No one is immune to it. We are all human beings I would like to think.
edit on 14-3-2011 by queenofsheba because: spelled Texas wrong!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

yes, i was raised in philly and lived in a white area of a very segregated city.
the crap i'd seen as a kid was pretty incredible.
i had a black friend who was welcome to my parents house, my folks were kind people.
yet my friend was always afraid his dad would beat him if he found out he came to visit us.
i couldn't go anywhere near his house.

after moving out west i was exposed to the racism by whites in montana and idaho.
after moving to new mexico along with spending part of the year in arizona, i now realize it's everybody for the most part.
not all humans, but all different races bitching about others.
sometimes i just don't get it.
i was wondering who might actually get involved in a thread like this, and i pretty much got my answer.
appreciate your participation, but according to others, we are the sheep, lol.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
The antidote to racism is travel .The racist people I know are not the type to visit new countries they have a small town mentality .

The media have lot to do with this though , they like to divide people so there is always tension plus it sells newspapers !

I am not racist , I have no problem with anyone unless they try to harm me or my loved ones .

Peace guys .

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

No, we're not sheep but experienced in life and all it's varieties and scenarios. There are some people who never travel outside the towns they grew up in. I personally like the variety of new experience and people and new sights and places. Always learning....
You can't ignore what is in plain sight. To do so makes you a sheep.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by prolific
People are just ignorant and need someone to blame certain faults to. Like the saying goes "Sticks and stones may break my bones but word will never hurt me,".

Words hurt far more than "sticks and stones" and I agree, there are people who are ignorant. For sure.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   

If you thought that was bad then don't go to Miami. Some Hispanics are very, very, very racist towards African people. The truth is most Latino nations have large "black" populations like America. They literally keep them in squalor and from time to time their governments literally cull the black populations in Latin America.

Heck I remember when I was a teen, I was hanging out with a friend and a few people we hanged out with from time to time(more of acquaintances then friends). Well anyway though, we where toking on the side of a house and this one guy that was Puerto Rican was talking about the Island and stuff(his family had a home down there). Then he was talking about how Whites where always welcome then look at my friend(he is multi-racial[half white half black]) and said "but you N aren't, yous cause too much problems".

Yeah.. That was a quick change the subject incident.
edit on 15-3-2011 by korathin because: added word "some"

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Any group of people who was recently oppressed by another group of people would likely harbor feelings of mistrust or anger against the aggressor or opressor. I think that's human nature 101.

However, the level and intensity that some white Americans have for blacks, native americans, jews, and hispanics just doesn't seem to make any sense to me. I know belief systems can be passed down to children, but it seems in the case of the south it has become an almost hereditary mental illness with some people.

I am sure life would have been more luxurious for some if slavery was still allowed, but my soul just can't comprehend the level of evil a person would have to be to hate every single person of a certain race because they can no longer exercise unfariness and inequality.

I mean it's like Bernie Madoff and his children hating the people they stole the money from because they got caught. It just doesn't make any sense.

edit on 15-3-2011 by MaryStillToe because: (no reason given)

top topics

join