It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Man in Shopping Mall with Gun, Mall Evacuated and surrounded by Police

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Breaking: Man in Shopping Mall with Gun, Mall Evacuated and surrounded by Police

www.wdbj7.com

Police say a man with a gun was seen entering Macy's department story at Valley View Mall. Three separate reports from two shoppers and one employee tipped off the police to the gunman. The first call came in around 5:00 p.m. and the evacuation is still currently going on.

Store employees at one retail store confirmed that customers were being told to leave. Another store employee tells us that the mall is on lockdown and retailers are being asked to lower the gates on their stores. Roanoke City and State Police have responded to the incident.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit to update the article. It's now been confirmed that someone carrying a gun was seen entering a Macy's.
edit on 14-3-2011 by bsbray11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Not sure what to make of this yet except that the VA State Police apparently took whatever threat seriously enough to evacuate and surround the mall with police. This is still on-ongoing at the time of posting and there's really not much information on the situation yet.

The mall is Valley View Mall in Roanoke, Virginia.

www.wdbj7.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I smell the need for TSA groin groping in malls in the near future. It's the stench of NWO progress.

edit on 14-3-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Did he make any threats or shoot anyone, or was he simply carrying it on his hip?

If it was simply a private citizen exercising his right to carry, then this country is even farther down the toilet than I had once thought.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
I smell the need for TSA groin groping in malls in the near future. It's the stench of NWO progress.

You hit it on the head.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
more distractions. everything that happens is a distraction from the last thing we were afraid of lol. japan is still f'd everyone, middle east is still f'd everyone. heck, the Afghanistan and Iraq wars are still going on, this is just getting ridiculous. SNIP. everyone needs to chill out hard.
edit on 15-3-2011 by burdman30ott6 because: Please review ATS T&C Policy regarding drug use references

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

I would say people would never stand for that here, but then again maybe that's why this is happening here. What would be one of the stubbornest areas to conform to such a policy would become the example instead.

Then again... This could be nothing at all. The local news is just assuming the state police had good reason for evacuating and surrounding the mall so dramatically.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Yep, we live about 4 miles from this mall and it has problems all the time. A lot of gang activity there. They also have a curfew on the weekends that if you are under 18 you must be accompanied by an adult after 6pm. We never go to this mall and drive miles out of the way to do our shopping elsewhere. They have had many a shootings there and this latest doesn't surprise me.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Ok...I just got some info on the mall lockdown. Word is that the Roanoke City tactical force is there and suited up, on stand by due to a guy being inside with a rifle. That's all I've heard so far.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I also smell another idiot bringing fear to their neighborhood.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by HaveAnotherOne
Did he make any threats or shoot anyone, or was he simply carrying it on his hip?

good question.

Originally posted by HaveAnotherOneIf it was simply a private citizen exercising his right to carry,.

Does a private citizen have a 'right' to carry a gun on private property in Virginia? In several states you do not have that 'right' at all.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by OUNjahhryn
more distractions. everything that happens is a distraction from the last thing we were afraid of lol. japan is still f'd everyone, middle east is still f'd everyone. heck, the Afghanistan and Iraq wars are still going on, this is just getting ridiculous. legalize pot. everyone needs to chill out hard.

So, are you saying the OP is intentionally distracting us from the media frenzy in the mid east and Japan?

Or that a local news outlet in Virginia is single-handedly trying to 'distract' us from national news?

Is there even a chance that a guy with a gun in a mall might be cause for concern?

Oh no! They might infringe on our right to shop at a shopping mall! Liberty is dead!
edit on 14-3-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
WTF, guess he didn't see the gun free zone sign eh? I am sure if he saw it he would have left his gun in the car.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I'd make some crass comment about "Dawn of the Dead" right about now, but I can't think of anything.

So instead I'll say this:
The more fear the government puts into people regarding gun ownership, the more easily will the 2nd amendment right to said ownership be stripped away.

This seems like another orchestrated sensationalist attempt at scaring the populace in general. Just my to cents.
edit on 3/14/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

In most states, the most they can do is ask you to leave. If you don't leave, it's criminal trespassing.

However, if it's a rifle involved... I'm not sure this is your average CCW-holder.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
I'd make some crass comment about "Dawn of the Dead" right about now, but I can't think of anything.

lol

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_areThis seems like another orchestrated sensationalist attempt at scaring the populace in general.

That seems to be a popular sentiment.

I'm curious, what about it makes it 'seem' that way?

Are you saying you don't think the police should respond when they are told someone is walking into a mall with a gun?

www.roanoke.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Man in Shopping Mall with Gun...

Again? It wasn't that long since the Nat Geo Protester.

No one embraces unhealthy gun culture like America! This is what happens!

IRM

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Highground
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

In most states, the most they can do is ask you to leave. If you don't leave, it's criminal trespassing.

However, if it's a rifle involved... I'm not sure this is your average CCW-holder.

Yeah, anyone familiar with that specific mall in Roanoke will tell you it's a gang-infested place.

The funny thing is, some folks there claim the police REPRESS the info about all the violent crimes that occur at that mall. Then people here on ATS say the police are sensationalizing them practicing what appears to be standard procedure.

At this point, at least one person is being quoted as saying it's a 'rifle'.
www.roanoke.com...

I personally think it's funny how loose gun-laws in most states are, and yet people still believe the NRA meme that 'they want your guns'. Hell, in Virginia, you can carry a GLoc into a bar.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starseed32
Yep, we live about 4 miles from this mall and it has problems all the time. A lot of gang activity there. They also have a curfew on the weekends that if you are under 18 you must be accompanied by an adult after 6pm. We never go to this mall and drive miles out of the way to do our shopping elsewhere. They have had many a shootings there and this latest doesn't surprise me.

This is my first post on ATS and I live in Roanoke City...not even that far from VV mall..awating news conference.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Updates from a news conference

This doesn't look like a NWO false flag, or else they failed miserably.

Updated 10:20 pm

Police have just wrapped up a news conference outside of the mall.

Captain Greg Staples says authorities initially received two separate reports from people saying the saw a man with a gun at the mall.

Surveillance video also revealed what appeared to be a man holding something long and black.

Officer are continuing to sweep the entire mall.

They say it may take several hours.

www.wdbj7.com...

So apparently...

-- Three people call in reporting a guy entering Macy's with a gun.

-- Surveillance shows him carrying something "long and black."

-- The suspect was apparently lost on surveillance and no one saw him leave.

-- They're still in there looking for him.

And that's about the extent of the situation so far...

Originally posted by Highground

Right. Seeing someone in a store or restaurant with a pistol strapped to their side is not unusual here. Seeing someone walk around with a rifle, unless they're coming out of the woods in camo or something, that's more unusual.

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
The funny thing is, some folks there claim the police REPRESS the info about all the violent crimes that occur at that mall. Then people here on ATS say the police are sensationalizing them practicing what appears to be standard procedure.

I once worked a BlockBuster around here and police came in and told us that a nearby Movie Starz had been robbed at gunpoint by men in a white van, and to be on the look out, but there was never any mention of that on the news. What's even more unusual about that, is that we had cleaning guys show up in a white van that they parked behind our store that night, and not a single cop came around during that whole time to patrol the parking lot.

I personally think it's funny how loose gun-laws in most states are, and yet people still believe the NRA meme that 'they want your guns'. Hell, in Virginia, you can carry a GLoc into a bar.

en.wikipedia.org...

Well some people obviously want our guns. You need look no further than these forums for proof of that.

They're just not getting them.

Btw what's up to all you Roanokers? Didn't know there were so many of you on here.
My mini profile says NRV but I'm actually up in Botetourt for now...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join