It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shapes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Sometimes when I rub my eyes, or when someone turns on the light when my eyes got used to the dark, I see this 2 odd shapes. They appear to be moving on their own, but they accually move as my eye does. Everytime they appear they are same. I was wonder what causes this? Imperfections in the iris, or something alike?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
The shapes are called visual purple and have to do with the rhodapsin in your eyes. The break down of rhodapsin is what stimulates the nevers on your cornea to fire. You should be able to find a web site fairly easily that explains this in detail, some of mine may be wrong been awhile since high school biology.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
The "Shapes" that i see sometimes llok like those microscopic pictures of worms and such. Where you can only see the outline and then the little rings here and there along the outline. I too have always wondered what these ''Shapes were", but i haven't ever tried looking them up or anything.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
The "Shapes" that i see sometimes llok like those microscopic pictures of worms and such. Where you can only see the outline and then the little rings here and there along the outline. I too have always wondered what these ''Shapes were", but i haven't ever tried looking them up or anything.

Yes, thats exactly how they look

Mxyztos, Ill have a look at that, thanks.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
You're welcome VirusClock. Another type of "shape" you can get in your eyes are like little raindow strips like fireworks. I get it and it's not good
, it's little bits of the cornea coming off. If you ever get these you should go to the Optometrist.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Check out the concept of "floaters."
viscous floaters

I have dealt with them for years. Mine come and go, but when they get worse I can count on having a migraine headache later on in the day.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mxyztos
You're welcome VirusClock. Another type of "shape" you can get in your eyes are like little raindow strips like fireworks. I get it and it's not good
, it's little bits of the cornea coming off. If you ever get these you should go to the Optometrist.

Wow, that's harsh
. Do you keep getting them?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Most of the colors you see from this are from your eye translating pressure on it into a visual image, of sorts. Your eye interprets things it comes into contact with, but can only do so visually to your brain

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:46 AM
link   
You can experience this same effect every day if you stare at a light bulb and then close your eyes, with eyes still pointing in direction of the light bulb, for a few minutes and then open them. Blinking makes them move around and then fade depending on the intensity of the light.

to wrap it up here's an optical illusion based on what your talking about. Note the white background acts as the lightbulb in my definiton above.

instructions: Stare at the four black dots in the center of the image for 30 - 60 seconds. Then quickly close your eyes and look at something bright (like a lamp or a window with sunlight coming through it). You should see a white circle with an image inside it.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer
You can experience this same effect every day if you stare at a light bulb and then close your eyes, with eyes still pointing in direction of the light bulb, for a few minutes and then open them. Blinking makes them move around and then fade depending on the intensity of the light.

to wrap it up here's an optical illusion based on what your talking about. Note the white background acts as the lightbulb in my definiton above.

instructions: Stare at the four black dots in the center of the image for 30 - 60 seconds. Then quickly close your eyes and look at something bright (like a lamp or a window with sunlight coming through it). You should see a white circle with an image inside it.

No, that's an other different thing.

MBF

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet

I have had the same thing for years. They look like a small string or wiggling line. I mostly see them when I look up at the sky or a light colored wall. I read somewhere that it was small blood vessels that were damaged from normal ageing, mostly in people over 40. Mine have never given me any trouble.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
No I haven't had it happen for awhile VirusClock. WooooHoo

new topics

top topics

join