It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any one have something good to say about Japan?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Which threads are Japan bashing threads? I have not noticed any either.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Life for many would have been very different without Nintendo's and Playstations. I know I have owned more than one of each through my life.

Ok, I do have to say that my only real complaint is Karaoke. It's everywhere over there and aauuuggghhhh!

There, I said it....LOL

I'm a musician so I'll allow you that

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

Don't forget about Robotech

The prequel Macross Zero is pretty good as well.

edit on 14-3-2011 by Silverado292 because: X2 I'm on a roll today!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Nothing good really. Apart of their annual whale killing for " research " they slaughter thousands of Dolphins every year. These being the most sentient creatures on the planet after humans. They also catch sharks and cut off their fins ( for bloody soup ) before dropping them back into the sea without any ability to swim or recover from their injuries. Hell, they even fry live fish in boiling oil and eat them with they are still gasping for air. I am very angry tonite at the sympathy towards the Japs, and firmly believe that Karma is punishing their Nation for it's blatant disregard for the ocean and the killing of the innocent creatures that inhabit that domain

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by getso
Nothing good really. Apart of their annual whale killing for " research " they slaughter thousands of Dolphins every year. These being the most sentient creatures on the planet after humans. They also catch sharks and cut off their fins ( for bloody soup ) before dropping them back into the sea without any ability to swim or recover from their injuries. Hell, they even fry live fish in boiling oil and eat them with they are still gasping for air. I am very angry tonite at the sympathy towards the Japs, and firmly believe that Karma is punishing their Nation for it's blatant disregard for the ocean and the killing of the innocent creatures that inhabit that domain

Not arguing but wasn't it the US that slaughtered all the buffalo from trains for sport...and took only the tongue?

Also, ever been to a lobster restaurant lately? Dropped into that nice warm bath...live?

Look, it's easy to find fault in both cultures. I also see the good in both as well. Just wanted a thread for that instead of all the things I've been reading like "Payback for Pearl Harbor!"

Just sayin...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Musician here also...that's why the Karaoke thing was hard to handle...everyday, all day, everywhere..lol

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
They will recover, they are united as a nation and people, and will be stronger than before, disasters are not rare in Japan and their infrastructure are superb.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I agree the whaleing (and karaoke!) are the undesirable traits of Japan, but no country is without its flaws. I would like to share my experience of their generosity. My sister taught English in Japan for a couple of years, and when she mentioned I was getting married to her students, the next day one of them gave her a brochure to send to me. It was from her father who was a jeweller, and said for me to pick out any ring I liked and he would make it for me as a wedding gift. I was so very touched by this gracious act from a complete stranger.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Not arguing but wasn't it the US that slaughtered all the buffalo from trains for sport...and took only the tongue?

Also, ever been to a lobster restaurant lately? Dropped into that nice warm bath...live?

Look, it's easy to find fault in both cultures. I also see the good in both as well. Just wanted a thread for that instead of all the things I've been reading like "Payback for Pearl Harbor!"

Just sayin...

Very fair comment Jude. You are gifted in that you can see the good in both cultures. I, personally have to contest one point you made.

The US does not slaughter Buffalo any more, in fact they encourage the breeding of these animals, where as these Japs are STILL killing Whales and Dolphins in 2011 in even llarger numbers, the name of research. Proceeds going to Restuarants for general consumpion

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Yes it did seem that the only places that didn't have Karoke machines were taxi cabs, trains, planes and bathrooms. I wasn't much of a Karaoke person and I remember my friends tried hard for years to get me as a regular at it. Well myself and a good friend sang Patience by Guns and Roses and did great at it, too good lol! The bar owner liked the way we sang it so much he wanted us to do it every night and since I only wanted to do it once he sweetened the deal with some free Yakisoba and 2 free beers, we then sang it often

edit on 14-3-2011 by Silverado292 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by getso

You know that is one aspect of thier culture I don't like, that and their treatment of the Ainu which are the true people of Japan. I'm not going to hate the whole damn culture and people because of it, simply put every cultures # stinks. Would I be happy if Japan AND Norway stopped the practice but I'm not going to use it as a Prerequisite for friendship.
edit on 14-3-2011 by Silverado292 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by sunsetatdawn

I was a teacher for awhile and had a great experience (many actually) but one I will always remember...

It was Christmas and I was trying to get my kids (8 yrs avg) to write a letter to Santa. They were reluctant as it is not even heard of there. So with some convincing and promises of no homework, they finally settled in and started writing. All directed to the North Pole of course.

Just before Christmas, I presented them with personalized replies from the North Pole (Thanks to my PC in the lunch room) and they were so excited to find candy and small toys that they were speechless (For once and only about 20 secs).

Anyway, Christmas Eve arrives, about 2pm and just before school let out when in comes a crowd of about 15 mothers and grandmothers. I was thinking uh-oh!

They proceeded to present me with wrapped gifts of varying sizes and shapes and one mother told me that they were thanking me for giving joy to their children when my job was to only teach them. I was truly amazed and touched. And these gifts were not cheap! One was a hand carved desk clock that I still have, another was a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue! If you know this one, it's about 400.000 US in Japan at that time.

The amazing thing was that one of the gifts was a turkey, stuffed, roasted and still warm! Now it is almost impossible to find a turkey in Japan. Just isn't their thing but this Mother had contacted one of the foreigner hotels that were serving turkey dinners for their foreign hotel guests in their dining room. She paid the hotel the equivalent of 200.00 US dollars for this bird!

They wouldn't share it with me so I took it home for sandwiches for almost 2 weeks. lol

I'll never forget.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverado292

And the amazing thing is that many Japanese can SING! I mean well too.

Didn't like it but when I got to drinking, I pulled out my harmonica and started playing along with Lynard and Clapton. They had never seen that before. Never paid for another drink either. They knew that the drunker I got, the more I would play. lol

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

That is really very touching. It's so inspiring to think in this age of doom and gloom you can still be lucky enough to cross paths with such thoughtful people whose gestures make everlasting memories. On a side note, my sister says it was one of the best phases of her life, such a different culture to what the westerners know.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
This final comment will prolly get me banned from ATS, but anyway. I just hope that the Jap survivors of those that were killed in the Earthquake,Tsunami and the meltdown of their Nuke Programe will seriously rethink their fishing plans regarding the Whales that at they intend to kill in the future. Get wise guys, otherwise Karma will wash all you deviants into the sea in the future :-)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I agree with you- I am not seeing "all the Japan hating threads" either-but the OP is ignoring people who are asking to see them.If you're going to make a claim like that, make sure it's true first....

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by getso
This final comment will prolly get me banned from ATS, but anyway. I just hope that the Jap survivors of those that were killed in the Earthquake,Tsunami and the meltdown of their Nuke Programe will seriously rethink their fishing plans regarding the Whales that at they intend to kill in the future. Get wise guys, otherwise Karma will wash all you deviants into the sea in the future :-)

There are plenty of other Japan hating threads out there but I guess they might have been ignoring you so you had to come here.

As I mentioned, The US is not innocent when it comes to wanton slaughter of animals.

You must like horses right?

www.americansagainsthorseslaughter.com...

This thread is for the positive notes on Japan. It's not your grand stand.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
"Madame Butterfly", but I suppose that's actually Italian. Oh, nevermind...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Ah I see they found your weakness too, that would be about the same for me. They "Are you drunk yet?" Me "Nope." It would get asked throughout the night till "shure why not." I do remember an early attempt at getting out of Karaoke I sang Enter Sandman thinking that would be the end of that, nope turns out old Japanese people like to hear people sing Metallica.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Thats very true the Horse helped make this country, among many others. The government has an awfully funny way of saying thanks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join