It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cover Up Of Fukushima Chain Reaction Underway

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Here is a link to the Finnish national newspaper, which is reporting live updates (You can Google translate it)

www.hs.fi...

Better translation by me:

13.06: Kyodo News agency: Fukushima fourth reactor was shutdown for maintenance before the earthquake and tsunami occurred. A hydrogen explosion occurred in the spent fuel tank. Amount of water in the tank decreasing.

13.04: Kyodo News agency: Fukushima reactor no. 3 has cooling problems, the nuclear fuel rods undergone partial meltdown, radioactive steam released out to reduce the pressure, seawater pumped directly into the reactor core as means of emergency cooling. High radiation doses measured in the reactor in the vicinity.

13.00: Kyodo News agency: Fukushima reactor no.2 has cooling problems, also seawater pumped directly into the reactor as a means of emergency cooling. Nuclear fuel rods were completely exposed for a few hours, damaged containment, partial meltdown occured.

12.54: Kyodo News agency: Fukushima reactor no.1 has cooling problems, the nuclear fuel rods are partially melted, radioactive steam released out to reduce the pressure, hydrogen explosion and sea water pumped directly into the reactor core as a means of emergency cooling.

12.36: BBC warned of internet scam message. The message says the BBC to urge Asian countries to prepare for the Fukushima nuclear power plant emissions from dispersing.

12.29: The World Meteorological Organization, WMO, reports that winds are carrying the nuclear emissions towards the Pacific

Sorry for the bad english, but I'm too lazy for a proper grammar review.

Oh, and the times are in GMT+2 (local Finnish time)

Anyway, this should be a quite accurate and neutral report, as Finland has no interest in covering up any disasters (except maybe to quiet down the green opposition party which is against nuclear energy).

edit on 15-3-2011 by ModerateSkeptic because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-3-2011 by ModerateSkeptic because: Damn broken link

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Well it is now classed as a 6 out of 7 score on the nuclear disaster list.

and with news now coming out about number 5 and number 6 having cooling failure.... this could easily get worse very soon

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher
reply to post by CommandoJoe

WTF are you on about man? Have you been under a rock the last 6 or so hours? Sorry to be so blunt, but you have clearly not seen the facts.

That quote you provided is old news, they have since updated that info. 400 milisieverts have been detected at reactor 3 alone, along with neutron radiation in the same reactor. I shall emphasize Zorgon's post, and remind you that Plutonium and mox fuel is used in reactor number 3. Your downplaying of this incident is very worrying to say the least.

Also you do realise the "spent fuel cointainment structure" is currently boiling due to running out of coolant. Could you tell the people here seeing as you are such an expert, how many tons of spent nuclear fuel rods are housed in such a structur please. This together with the ongoing dire situation at 4 of the 6 reactors, man, I just don't think you "get" this situation at all.

Deny ignorance you say?
edit on 15-3-2011 by AmatuerSkyWatcher because: (no reason given)

I think you missed the point of my post - I specifically said:

Don't take my post to be dismissive of what is happening and to say there is no danger.

I guess you could say I've been under a rock of sorts for the last few hours or even days as I said in another post, I've been busy the last few days. Working 12+hour shifts and trying to sleep in between. I don't always have the opportunity to stay glued to the computer or TV...

What I was trying to address what people freaking out about something they don't really understand because of how the media presents things. Most people trust the media and take what they present as the absolute truth and they are not always correct. When a nuclear reactor is melting down HIGH LEVELS OF RADIATION ARE EXPECTED IN THE VICINITY OF THE REACTOR - this should not be a surprise to anyone with a bit of common sense. I also said:

As I said if high levels are measured away from the immediate vicinity of the plant, then GTF out of Dodge. If there is radioactive particulate floating around in the air, take appropriate precautions by all means.

For point sources of radiation (reactor melting down), the dose rate follows the inverse square law. If you double the distance, the dose rate falls to 1/4. If you triple the distance, the dose rate falls to 1/9. This means that it doesn't take a huge distance to bring the radiation dose from the reactor down significantly.

The real danger to the people of Japan will be from radioactive airborne particulate. The reactors themselves will be hot for quite a while - as long as you don't spend all day sightseeing there this (point source) is not a danger to the general public, only the workers - and they will have all sorts of shielding and procedures in place to keep their exposure down.

There are 2 types of potential exposure going on here (Point source being the reactors, and the airborne particulate) and I'm not seeing any distinction between them in the media. You just see these big #'s measured at the reactor and people think that everyone in Japan is being exposed to that amount of radiation...

Since I had some extra time, I dug up a news article from 4 hours ago:
www.stripes.com...

A level of 0.5 millirems of radiation was detected at Atsugi with similar levels at Yokosuka, said Atsugi public affairs officer Tim McGough.

The radiation was detected coming from winds blowing from the northeast, he said. “The level of 0.5 millirems, which is translated to five microsieverts, is 50 times more than the level that exits in nature,” said Masaharu Hoshi, professor of radiation physics at the Research Institute of Radiation Biology and Medicine of the University of Hiroshima.

“The level detected at this time is not a level that immediately causes health hazards,” said Hoshi, who studies exposure cases and history in Chernobyl, Semipalatinsk (a Kazakhstan nuclear test site, closed in 1991), Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

For perspective, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission estimates that a passenger on a round-trip flight from Washington D.C. to Los Angeles would be exposed to four millirems of radiation. Hoshi said that male reproductive functions would be threatened at 10,000 millirems.

Navy officials said Tuesday that remaining indoors cuts exposure by 60 to 70 percent. “Staying indoors would be good advice to give to people,” Young said.

“The obvious thing is that you don’t want to breathe any gases or particulate material.”

The radiation readings in Tokyo were 0.809 microsieverts (.0809 millirems) at 10 a.m. Tuesday, said Keiichi Nakaya, chief of Tokyo Metropolitan Government’s Office in Charge of Health and Safety.
The reading had dropped to 0.147 microsieverts by 11 a.m., he said.

“Even the highest reading at this time has no health impact,” Nakaya said.

People are afraid of radiation because they don't understand it... .5 millirem is a very small amount. Assuming this level stayed constant for a year, which it won't because this stuff will not stay airborne forever, you would still be under the 5 rem/year limit that US radiation workers are allowed to receive.
8765.81277 (hours per year) x .5 millirem = 4382.906385 millirem = 4.382 rem which is under the limit of 5 rem per year. And if you stay indoors you reduce your exposure even more. And again you see the multiplier (50x) attached to levels "found in nature" - people see this and get scared when they really shouldn't.

If you see any radiation levels measured near the reactor plant being reported you might as well ignore them as they are meaningless to everyone except those working in the area to contain the situation. The general public only needs to worry about the airborne particles

Let me reiterate - I am not saying this accident is no big deal, I'm trying to help people understand what they get from the media is not always as it seems... This is obviously a very bad situation, but I don't think Japan will become an island of radioactive zombies any time soon.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Well said but:

If you see any radiation levels measured near the reactor plant being reported you might as well ignore them as they are meaningless to everyone except those working in the area to contain the situation. The general public only needs to worry about the airborne particles

Half right, those levels of radiation mean nothing to anyone not at the scene BUT as those levels increase it's an indication that the containment has been breached. High levels of radiation coming from those reactors now could be coming from the spent fuel rods they are having trouble cooling, or possibly exposed rods in one of the reactors.

You need not fear that radiation, but you best not ignore it because that will be the best warning WE'LL get if indeed one of the reactor cores is breached and the rods exposed. Once those rods are exposed they are spraying radioactive particles everywhere, and all we need is a nice fire or large explosion to send the particulate airborne

Then it indeed becomes everyone's problem. Yes, it will dilute and dissipate over the ocean. But those rods, even the spent ones, can keep burning for years.

As well, if some how the rods overheat, melt, and breach through the bottom of the core it could be catastrophic.

I appreciate that you are trying to calm people down, but sadly, it's not gonna work, but I felt the need to explain why those radiation levels are indeed important.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Very good observation on your part. There could be 80-100 tons of fuel in the cooling pond that is now "boiling" according to official reports from Japan. Its almost a given that the control rods are no longer functioning as this type of reaction cannot occur unless the core has melted. They are pouring seawater and boric acid into the control chamber to try and shut down the fission. Its bad and it could get worse. We will see in the next few days.

Godspeed to the physicists in Japan.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

Well said but:

Half right, those levels of radiation mean nothing to anyone not at the scene BUT as those levels increase it's an indication that the containment has been breached. High levels of radiation coming from those reactors now could be coming from the spent fuel rods they are having trouble cooling, or possibly exposed rods in one of the reactors.

You need not fear that radiation, but you best not ignore it because that will be the best warning WE'LL get if indeed one of the reactor cores is breached and the rods exposed. Once those rods are exposed they are spraying radioactive particles everywhere, and all we need is a nice fire or large explosion to send the particulate airborne

Then it indeed becomes everyone's problem. Yes, it will dilute and dissipate over the ocean. But those rods, even the spent ones, can keep burning for years.

As well, if some how the rods overheat, melt, and breach through the bottom of the core it could be catastrophic.

I appreciate that you are trying to calm people down, but sadly, it's not gonna work, but I felt the need to explain why those radiation levels are indeed important.

That's a good point - I guess I what I meant was they don't need to directly correlate those #'s with their personal exposure as that is not how it works. Those #'s are useless to the people that are hearing about it on the news. Of course changes in those levels would be used by those workers on the scene trying to contain this... That's who those #'s are really important to, not the general public as they don't have the capacity to judge what those amounts of radiation mean in this situation. The authorities on scene will decide if they the public needs to be evacuated. What the average person will take away from a news report is "Oh no! Radiation levels are 50x higher, we're all doomed"
If the guys in yellow suits with geiger counters are on your street corner and tell you that you're currently being exposed to huge amounts of radiation then you can worry...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Gab1159

I too with you in my fear for the Japanese people's safety but i have to disagree the one world govt. Now i back you up 100% that if a world govt. conducted themselves though peace and morality, it would be great. But the fact is there will always be those who become vulgar with their power.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I think its safe to say any attempts at downplaying the severity of the nuclear disaster at this point have ended. For those just coming into the thread saying what cover up, its all over the news. That just started over the last 24 hours. The 48 hours prior there was conficting reports all the time and what seemed to be a concerted effort by the utilities company to downplay any danger and assurances that they had things under control. After all they have all these containment measures in place that many "experts" said would not fail and "this is what they were designed for". To bad the design was never tested.

edit on 15-3-2011 by FreeSpeaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Nomad451

Since your so privy to information outside of specific sources, why not contribute to this thread constructively? or do you not have anything relative to add?

" Picking " out the related source, only solidifies your arrogance.

Add to post: ( edit ) I would like to take this time to thank all the posters on this thread that made good arguments and validated whats going on in Japan. Further, I would like to address those who like to give
for infowars. But may i point out, that though you may not be a fan of infowars, they brought the news to us, much like many of the MSM outlets. However, infowars, tends to give an " unpainted " picture of topics discussed. You may Not like Alex Jones, but if you review the OP article, you will see that it was written by a free lance contributor, not Alex himself. Try not to judge so much, because your contradictions of which you decry make you look arrogant.
edit on 15-3-2011 by Whereweheaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Not sure what you guys are talking about with the "MSM is trying to cover it up" even MSNBC.com is saying it's already worse than three-mile-island and may end up being "Three times the Chernobyl disaster." Sounds like they're taking it pretty seriously to me. MSNBC has also just reported on the 30km no-fly-zone around the plants.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
This is bad news for the whole world,makes you think now doesnt it,we had the gulf disaster and that took care of the oceans,our drinking water and now this meltown has taken care of the atmospere and in it the very air we breath.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
I would like to address those who like to give
for infowars. But may i point out, that though you may not be a fan of infowars, they brought the news to us, much like many of the MSM outlets. However, infowars, tends to give an " unpainted " picture of topics discussed. You may Not like Alex Jones, but if you review the OP article, you will see that it was written by a free lance contributor, not Alex himself. Try not to judge so much, because your contradictions of which you decry make you look arrogant.

I agree with you and I'm one who never looks at Infowars. Too much sensationalism for me but every now and then they hit the nail on the head as they did with the Japan nuclear crisis. Reports from the media were garbage and conflicting with soo many so called "experts" saying nothing to see here. Obviously the media was full of BS and the smaller independent sources were right to say there is/was reason to be worried.

My thoughts go out to the emergency workers battling this disaster. Many have likely recieved lethal doses of radiation. They are all heroes.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

Thanks for your continued honest perspective.....atleast your man enough to own up to the " source ".

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
All 6 reactors are going to melt down completely. The containment leak in number 2 I believe is emitting large amounts of radiation, so they won't be able to maintain. They need to evacuate all of Japan.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
double post.
edit on 15-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

=======
Even considering this catastrophe, and the potential fallout scenarios, nuclear power plants are still far safer and cleaner than coal or oil power, in my opinion. However I think you could make the argument that natural gas is better than all 3 of those alternatives.
=======

Every single nuke plant should be shut down. They are unsafe, inefficient, and deadly. The waste material cannot be disposed of, and one wrong move results in major disasters.

A nuclear power plant is a man-made disaster waiting to happen that never needed to happen. It is like taking a crap and then eating it and smearing the poop on all your friends and your food and then throwing it at your livestock.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Japan's nuclear industry, which began in the early 1960s, has had a chequered safety record. In 1999, two people were killed when workers at the Tokaimura uranium processing facility caused an uncontrolled atomic reaction when they mixed the wrong amounts of fuel. Almost 500 people living near to the plant were exposed to abnormal levels of radiation.

In 2004, four workers were killed when an explosion in the cooling system caused superheated steam to escape.

The Tokyo Electric Power Company has also been criticised. In 2002, its chairman and four other executives were forced to resign after being accused of falsifying safety reports at the Fukushima plant.

Prof Walt Patterson, a nuclear energy expert at Chatham House, told Channel Four News that the problems at the plants had been "foreseen for many years". He said: "The design of the reactor is such that it is inherently susceptible to the kind of problems happening now."

www.telegraph.co.uk... ml" target="_blank" class="postlink">Source

If I felt that the Japan government and the utility company that runs the nuclear plant was not being honest or forthcoming about the magnitude of the crisis in its first 48 hours, after reading this I feel certain of it. This article has not inspired my confidence in Japan's ability to handle this crisis.
edit on 15-3-2011 by FreeSpeaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I dont get how someone would totally disregard a report like this because it comes from infowars. To me if its at all a possibility that a mass nuclear disaster could effect not only the whole of Japan but as well as the west coast or more of the US that we should take it seriously no matter where it comes from.

It's only fear mongering if people take it that way and overreact. But most people can see a serious report and not totally flip out. To me there is real concern, they should evacuate all of the Japanese public, the Gov and the dept of nuclear energy can stay and die in the radiation for all i care but they owe it to everyone else to get them out. If need be bring em here and we'll house them. Families can take in families and teh gov can give us food and energy credits and other relief for taking in a family. This would be a great exercise in humanity and would show the world that even though the US gov doesn't care we can show them that the REAL people of the US do care and are here to help. So lets go huh?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Best live reports are here
www.livestation.com...

New quake south of Tokyo today

MAP 6.2 2011/03/15 13:31:47 35.300 138.700 10.0 EASTERN HONSHU, JAPAN

and this one at 10:30pm right under My Fiji and at the joint of the other plate

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f51112abc1ad.png[/atsimg]

edit on 15-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno
reply to post by muzzleflash

Every single nuke plant should be shut down. They are unsafe, inefficient, and deadly. The waste material cannot be disposed of, and one wrong move results in major disasters.

A nuclear power plant is a man-made disaster waiting to happen that never needed to happen. It is like taking a crap and then eating it and smearing the poop on all your friends and your food and then throwing it at your livestock.

You obviously know nothing about nuclear power and have mindlessly bought into somebody's propaganda.
Why do you think nuclear power is the cheapest for consumers? Because it IS the most efficient.

I'm all for building more solar, wind, and hydroelectric power, but they cannot compete with nuclear on cost and amount of power produced for the space it takes up. Rather than giving the bankers billions of $ the govmnt should have invested all that money into more solar plants, and wind farms and even a few new nuke plants...

They are continually working on new methods of dealing with nuclear waste and have made many strides in recent years. But even so, an operating reactor does not continuously pollute the environment like coal and fossil fueled power plants do. There is not a stream of green sludge pouring out of nuclear reactors... There is waste generated and it is generally stored onsite until better methods of disposal are developed.

Deadly? What do you base this on? This one earthquake in Japan will end up killing more people than every nuclear accident that has ever happened to date... Wars, cigarettes, drunk drivers, and even doctors are deadly. Hey, why not ban doctors while you're at it? All of those things have killed millions more people than nuclear power has. The world is a scary place and if you're so worried about nuclear power, you might as well might as well go live in a cave and pull the covers over your head as there are a lot more dangerous things in the world.

It's funny how people can rally against something that they know nothing about. take a look at how many nuclear reactors there are in the US alone, and then figure out how many nuclear powered US Navy ships there are. (Hint: it's over 100...) And how many major incidents have there been? Other than 3-mile Island and Chernobyl, (and now Japan) how many nuclear accidents can you name? How many people have died as a result of these?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join