It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet will soon be top choice to get news in America as it overtakes newspapers for first time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Internet will soon be top choice to get news in America as it overtakes newspapers for first time

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1366052/Internet-popular-news-platform-use-smartphones-electronic-tablets-grows.html]www.dailymail.co.uk[ /url]

The rapid growth of smartphones and electronic tablets is making the internet favourite for people seeking news

News consumption online increased 17 per cent last year from the year before

Meanwhile, US local, network and cable television news, newspapers, radio and magazines all lost audience last year

The percentage of people who say they get news online at least three times a week surpassed newspapers for the first time. It was second only to local TV news as the most popular news pl
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Al Franken: ‘They're coming after the Internet’

Sen. Al Franken claimed Monday that big corporations are "hoping to destroy" the Internet and issued a call to arms to several hundred tech-savvy South by Southwest attendees to preserve net neutrality.

"I came here to warn you, the party may be over," Franken said. "They're coming after the Internet hoping to destroy the very thing that makes it such an important (medium) for independent artists and entrepreneurs: its openness and freedom.”

www.politico.com...

The internet being the new news medium is both good news and bad news.

This will make them want to end the Internet much sooner than later.
It completely changed what it was originally intended for, which was at first to make English the most common language in the world bar-none.

Now it serves a truer purpose and tptb aren't too happy about it.

It's good and bad news for them as well, on one hand it allows them to have constant access to the #1 spying medium where the CIA monitors blogs, facebook, twitter, myspace, and forums and everything else in the world.

But on the other hand it is informing people and you and I are not paid to say what they want us to say.

They are coming though
They were always coming but now...........

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1366052/Internet-popular-news-platform-use-smartphones-electronic-tablets-grows.html]www.dailymail.co.uk[ /url]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Makes sense to me.. I mean it had to be a matter of time. Computers are getting cheaper and thus more are being sold. Why pay for it to be delivered to your house once a day when you can check it a thousand times online for free!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
They still have newspapers? Wow.....what an ancient way to obtain information!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Who needs a news source that is always a day late and leaves you with so much paper to recycle?

I've been using the internet for years for my news.

We don't have a newspaper subscription anymore.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
At least with the internet..I can chose the disinfo I WANT to read..

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Well, when Jay Rockefeller says the "internet" is Their biggest enemy, expect moves to clamp control on it.

This comes as no surprise to me, and it's unfortunate this news is coming in the midst of the troubles in Japan. But They surely do take advantage of distraction, don't They?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
They still have newspapers? Wow.....what an ancient way to obtain information!

True, but having your morning coffee or orange juice with toast and eggs with a newspaper.....
Nothing beats that!

I also come accross news in a newspaper that I do not come accross on the net at times.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
This is most likely due to the tablet and smart phone market..I mean who wants to buy a newspaper anymore..When the news is always literally at your finger tips..

I have a feeling at some point in the distant future we will see the tablets take over the Book industry as well.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
No doubt.

Saw a study awhile back that said it already is, for those under 50yrs.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Im not sure why this is just breaking now?????

I wake up, go to CNN.com and my local CALGARYHERALD.com. I get on the metro and literally just get a free newspaper to read my horoscope. ANYTHING in the paper is written the night before with 12 hour old news.

/thread

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I guess we all need to go out and thank Al Gore for inventing the internet as our means of information!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Yeah, this doesn't really surprise me. I know one person, that still reads newspapers.
However, I think it's going to be bigger than that. Pretty soon, conventional cable/broadcast/satellite television news will be replaced by the Internet as well. No doubt, those same stations will keep some piece of that, as they adapt to having more content on their web-sites - beyond what is already on their television channels.

The recent events of the Fukushima nuclear accidents really drove that home for me. The "best" source of information and interpretation of events on that specific situation (starting Thursday night/Friday morning) was frankly, ATS. See this thread.

When the Japanese PM mentioned ("casually") at the very end of his first press conference, that various nuclear reactors were automatically shut-down because of the Earthquake, and then walked-off without taking any questions - the mainstream-media failed their job. Nobody in the mainstream-media asked any questions, or started doing any research to figure-out what that meant.

Once it was clear there was "some issue", they failed again - by not getting subject-matter-experts involved. They rolled-out generalists (like Bill Nye). No offense to Bill, I think he's cool. But, he's not a SME (subject-matter-expert) on this stuff - which even he was the first to say.

When TMI happened, there were SME's all over television. Back then it wasn't 24 hour "news" (which is not really the case any more anyway, which is why we must be "news" in qoutes now). Back then, we only had CBS, NBC and ABC (and some "UHF" stations, for anybody who still knows what they are) - and they did a much better job at covering this story than the current "news" channels.

Only after the story reached "Godzilla proportions" (please forgive the analogy) yesterday, did they really start stepping to the plate.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I posted this on the nuke thread but I think this is also a good place for it:

------------------

To all those who are concerned about the media not getting information out:

The media's business isn't about informing us. It's about entertaining us. There is a big difference. They make money based on how well they deliver this entertainment. They do try to entertain us with "News", but this news is crafted to entertain and engage us.

If we were to see the "real news" of the world you'd be mostly bored, but sometimes, sometimes alot of us would get a bit fiesty and rebellious, so obviously, very few "real news" agencies are allowed to exist and those that do don't get much market share because all the other "fake news" channels are entertaining everyone so well.

We're all guilty of preferring the blockbuster to the low-budget indy film, it's the same thing on a massive scale, and we're to blame for creating the "market forces" that make these folks feed us what we prefer to hear. I do exempt a lot of ATS folks since most of you all are at least making an effort to find alternate sources of news aside from your 'fake news'.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Also:

-------

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator
reply to post by Wertwog

Good points. However, it's incredibly ironic when I feel like I get better "news" analysis from The Daily Show, then from CNN, MSNBC, or FoxNews. It's not just more entertaining, they stab directly at the issues - instead of either side-stepping them or exaggerating them in one direction or the other.

edit on 2011-3-22 by EnhancedInterrogator because: spelling, etc.

PS: Don't want to take this thread off-topic. There's another thread kind of about this type of thing here.

edit on 2011-3-22 by EnhancedInterrogator because: Added post-script.

What makes humor work is that it always contains a nugget of truth, often presented in a surprisingly different context we find funny. That is why this is so funny Nuclear Energy Advocates Insist U.S. Reactors Completely Safe Unless Something Bad Happens

www.theonion.com...

I'll check out the other thread too, thanks for sharing.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Yes, I loved TheOnionMovie too!
(as you can probably guess by my Avatar)

new topics

top topics

join