It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan utility: Nuke fuel rods were fully exposed

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Japan utility: Nuke fuel rods were fully exposed

www.guardian.co.uk

TOKYO (AP) — A Japanese utility says fuel rods at a troubled nuclear reactor have been fully exposed.

The exposure happened at Unit 2 of the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant — the latest reactor to lose its ability to cool down. The other two reactors at the plant are facing a meltdown and authorities are racing to cool them with sea water.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
it went on to say

Tokyo Electric Power said Monday sea water is being channeled into Unit 2. It did not know if the rods were covered yet.

Their exposure raises the risk of the reactor overheating, which can lead to meltdown.

so it seems the smiling talking heads were lying when they claimed everything was under control

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 14-3-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

the smiling talking heads always lie

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
And we're supposed to believe this couldn't have been prevented by now if enough countries had banded together to solve it? This has just got stupid.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteRabit

Amen sister...
2nd line:
Amen...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Yes, thanks for this news.

*Sigh*.

This is a tragedy, especially for the people of Japan.

My heart goes out to them.

I do think at this point, everyone seems to be taking this seriously, except the mainstram media.
They should not be paid a penny, the reporting by them is worthless.

This just posted to the web.
Thyroid cancer a hazard from radioactive iodine emitted by Japan’s failing nuclear power plants

One of the most abundant substances in the cloud of radioactive steam released by a failing nuclear power plant is iodine-131—a radioactive form of the element, iodine, that is found throughout nature. Iodine-131 poses a special health risk because of its cancer-causing effect on the thyroid gland.

Ha rvard Med Publications

edit on 14-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

link   
Of course they lied does a leopard change it's spots
Flag to you

link   
We were being lied to by the MSM?

You don't say?

I am in utter shock they would do such a thing!!!!!

On a serious note nuke rods being fully exposed does not sound
like no big deal right?

No big deal until it is one of their children puking with red eyes and their
hair is falling out from radiation exposure!

These people are sick...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

so it seems the smiling talking heads were lying when they claimed everything was under control

They never said it was "under control" but that they believe they can keep it under control.. Semantics I suppose.

These Japanese officials are Japanese, they have family, friends and history, it is their home. They are doing what they feel is necessary to protect the greatest number of lives.

Reality?

What can they do?

Realistically, even if there is a worst case scenario here, they are already dealing with severely damaged infrastructure... MILLIONS of people on an ISLAND... Logistically it is a complete nightmare.

Telling people to stay indoors, and remain calm, control information and news, not cover it up, but minimize the severity so as to avoid mass panic. Evacuate as many people as possible nearest the affected sites. There isn't much more or less that they can do at this point, no matter how bad it gets.

Railroads damaged, roads, bridges damaged, airport runways damaged, sea ports damaged... Mass evacuations are logistically impossible, and would likely be as dangerous or worse than the quake and tsunami in regards to loss of life.

It is what it is.... Sadly so.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
These Japanese officials are Japanese, they have family, friends and history, it is their home. They are doing what they feel is necessary to protect the greatest number of lives.

If you replaced the word Japanese with American, UK, etc, though quite a few more people would be wondering. I can't blindly trust officials of any country after what's happened in the past.
edit on 14-3-2011 by Hitoshura because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I must say at this point, I dont blame this on news reporting on Japan.

Bad reporting is not the fault of a country struck by disaster...
Its the fault of the assanine talking heads, and the MSM that deliberatly twists
the truth, for whatever reason.

Again, my heart goes out, my prayers to all of those in Japan.

The mainstream news adds insult to injury with thier insanity.

edit on 14-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
so with all this said in this post, what are the chances of the radiation reaching the us?
is it a big chance or small, and what should the people do if it does make its way over here?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
this is what i just posted in an other thread but it seem this is a good place to this to save time and trouble of searching for it news.search.yahoo.com...=fr2%3Dage%26ei%3DUTF-8%26p%3Dreactor%2Bin%2Bfull%2Bmeltdown%26age%3D1h& tid=trd2&rid=refiner0 and then this is just in www.nytimes.com... from link

Emergency Cooling Effort Failing at Japanese Reactor, Deepening Crisis
By HIROKO TABUCHI, KEITH BRADSHER and MATT WALD
Published: March 14, TOKYO — Japan’s struggle to contain the crisis at a stricken nuclear power plant worsened sharply early Tuesday morning, as emergency operations to pump seawater into one crippled reactor failed at least temporarily, increasing the risk of an uncontrolled release of radioactive material, officials said.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Go figure, just like the oil spill, we got this, it's all under control. It's under control is the new duck and cover. Thanks for the post!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by NISMOALTI
so with all this said in this post, what are the chances of the radiation reaching the us?
is it a big chance or small, and what should the people do if it does make its way over here?

There is no immediate cause for worry in the USA.. You will have 36-48 hours minimum advanced warnings in the USA IF there is a real threat of dangerous radiation fallout carried to the western US and Canada on Jet Stream winds.

For now, this is a localized disaster in Japan and the immediate surrounding region.

If it gets worse, you will know in time.

Don't worry, or stress if there is no need.. and for now there simply isn't.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
well this is odd news.yahoo.com... did you catch that? form one to the next what is said in the first on where it takes you to a second one? i am getting better at catching them in their... well you decide

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Just to clarify it means that the fuel rods where not surrounded by by water like they usually are. not that they where exposed to the outside, which would result in the release of very high levels of radiation.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
So what do they do with all this sea water they are 'rushing in' to cover the rods? because wouldn't that make the sea water they are using radio active now?

and once the sea water touches the rods, i imagine it heats up to boiling point point eventually, meaning they have to keep changing the water, and rushing in more sea water, correct....?

where is all this radio active water going?

**ADD***

i mean they have been doing this for like 3 days now, so i am sure 3 days of this 'rushed in' sea water would probably be over the capacity of any type of storage tanks they may have...
edit on 14-3-2011 by loagun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by loagun
So what do they do with all this sea water they are 'rushing in' to cover the rods? because wouldn't that make the sea water they are using radio active now?

and once the sea water touches the rods, i imagine it heats up to boiling point point eventually, meaning they have to keep changing the water, and rushing in more sea water, correct....?

where is all this radio active water going?

**ADD***

i mean they have been doing this for like 3 days now, so i am sure 3 days of this 'rushed in' sea water would probably be over the capacity of any type of storage tanks they may have...
edit on 14-3-2011 by loagun because: (no reason given)

The seawater they're pumping in is probably turning to steam, which is most likely being vented (not ideal but what else can they do) what worries me about using seawater is the fact it's not just water , the salt and sand particles also being pumped in cannot evaporate as steam and therefore must be building up in the reactor which will mean less flow of water which means more build up of heat eventually making the cooling system ineffective (just like a build up of sludge in your car radiator means it overheats rapidly)

If anybody can correct my supposition and set my mind at rest on that score please, feel free to do so

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
This is a must watch.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join