It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bugging Out - A Troubleshooting Thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The other day, I was talking with a friend of mine about bug out contingency plans. He was telling me about his family's cabin; it's provisions, local resources etc. It's a great sounding location, with a decent garden, a stockpile of heirloom seeds, medical supplies (nearest hospital being 2 hours away) and surrounded by wilderness ripe for hunting and trapping.

Then I asked him: can you get there on one tank of gas?

No.

Do you keep your BOV stocked with enough fuel to get you there (full tank plus back-up cans)?

Not yet.

He went out and bought 20 gallons of portable fuel the next day.

So why don't we use this thread to try and shake out those little details. I'm not talking about the exhaustive checklist of provisions. I'm talking about the silly little screw-ups and shortfalls that you've discovered on dry runs and practice for a bug-out situation. With pole-shift and magnetic storms and earthquakes on our mind, it makes sense to look at the plans from the perspective of a world without infrastructure.

I know a few people who couldn't get to their safe house of choice without a fuel stop. What's your deadly little detail?
edit on 14-3-2011 by RobertAntonWeishaupt because: clarified title

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Another example to show how minute these details may be:

Keys.

Different friend of mine went up country to do some hunting. His home defense weapons are at home, his hunting weapons are at his hunting cabin. In an in-ground gun safe. With a key. That was at home, 4 hours away from the cabin where he was kicking himself in frustration.

Duplicate those bad boys make sure all relevent keys are on your person in the event of a sudden need to get up a GO.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I'm not extremely focused on bugging out, I am more working towards bugging-in. Supplies, weapons, and defenses. Many male family members will make this extremely doable for me.

But I have kept in the back of my mind a bug-out plan, so I would love to see this thread blossom into a true trouble-shooting read.

The two examples you listed are great.

Maybe a good idea of bugging out in a vehicle would be to pack a small assortment of tools, jumper cables, radiator fluid and a gallon or two of water in case you get car troubles. Would be a good idea to get a bike rack with a couple of bicycles. They now make bicycle run-flat tires, pretty cool

Would be a good idea to have multiple maps for where you're going, and laminate them, cover with transparent tape, or figure out some other water-proofing options.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Most people probably have solid bug out ideas that just need logistical refinement. That said I plan to bug in (mostly due to a lack of any location to head to) which means unless pretty much everyone leaves Uconn or the New Haven area (depending on wheather I'm home or at schoo) I'm pretty well screwed.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Have maps stashed several places so you always have them.
Compass too in case you have to travel overland off-road.

Have ready to go within 10 minutes:
Bug out bag/food/water/medicines/extra eyeglasses, contacts,
Proper Clothing. - If you can't do this, you're not prepared.

Vehicle: regular maintenance, extra fuel, oil, coolant, brake and steering fluid, spare belts, hoses, fuses.
Full toolkit
Duct tape
Shovel
Saw
More water and food
blanket
first aid kit
extra boots

Power winch is great addition for any truck or SUV.

Make sure friends, families have understood plans and backup plans as well.
Communication may be impossible so meeting places may critical.

So much more but these seem to be the most critical in my mind.
edit on 15-3-2011 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

top topics

join