It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*This ariel photo says it all about the Fukushima situation* Holy Cow!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
lh6.googleusercontent.com...

The explosion that caused this damage is shocking. They are saying that the rods are exposed now.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
For some reason you can't scroll far enough right to see most of the damage on the pic I posted, so if you click the link you can see the whole picture.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

Thanks for the image downtown ... I hate to say this but I feel that as more time goes by the less hope there is for containing and diffusing this whole situation. Actually, to be completely honest with myself, I'm pretty much at the point where i believe the worst is inevitable even though I don't want that to be the case. I just don't really see this situation ending the way most hope.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic.....just realistic. To be fair though, it's not over until one of those plants goes into an all out meltdown.

SnF

Peace & Respect,

AS
edit on 14-3-2011 by AeonStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

This gives me such a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. It is more than overwhelming, the earthquakes, the tsunami and the nuclear explosions. This disaster will impact all of us.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
This is serious #

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Blast was heard 25 miles away!!!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Guys we need to relax in NA, our danger is little compared to what the people of japan are facing.

I'm getting tired of coming here and finding out mis information.

The Japanese are smart people, they built their plants good and have contingency plans beyond belief. Even if the rods go into full meltdown they have many containment structures, and will be contained properly. There is very little risk to anywhere on the west coast.

Why I really do not understand is how the hell the people are so incompetent that they run out of fuel or run out of battery power.

They are dealing with nuclear radiation, and these are very easy mistakes that are being made by the Japanese. They should have had enough fuel for a couple of months for the diesel generators and enough battery back up for a couple of days, if not weeks.

What we need to be worrying about is if the same thing happened on the west coast of north America where the plants are not even close to being as prepared as they are in japan, which is very scary.

We need every reactor on the ring of fire, or on any fault line, to be prepared for a 9.5 magnitude quake. They want to play with radiation then they should be prepared for worst case scenario.

Pred...
edit on 14-3-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Thanks for posting these. Pretty much given up on flicking between CNN, Beeb & Sky since last night.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I don't know if we are in that much danger here, but from what I have heard that reactor is plutonium fueled, and "MOX" is a lot more dangerous than uranium, like 10mg of MOX is equivalent to 2kg of uranium. So this is a bad deal, and there are potentially more problems with 2 other reactors at Fukushima.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Are you talking about misinformation in general or in this particular thread? Because I'm not seeing anything misleading in this thread so far.

I agree with your point about the fuel reserves though. With all that money they spent on earthquake proof/resistant infrastructure you would think they would have noticed those six reactor just sitting and waiting there in the northeast for something like this to happen.

I must disagree with you on the Japanese having contingency plans (beyond the rolling blackouts and the evacuation and testing of people in the danger zone). As far as I know the fail-safes for these plants are FAILING. For example: outer shells compromised, problems keeping the core cool, and there are reports of core exposure (which would mean at least one container has at least partially melted).

I stand by my post above when I say that I believe a meltdown is (at this point) inevitable. To be fair though, it's not over until one of those plants goes into a meltdown.

Peace & Respect,

AS
edit on 14-3-2011 by AeonStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187

Why I really do not understand is how the hell the people are so incompetent that they run out of fuel or run out of battery power.

They anticipated earthquakes - in fact the reactors withstood a stronger quake than they were designed, when buily 40 years ago, to withstand. Just no-one anticipated a 30ft wall of water then taking out the back up systems and the subsequent devastation making it impossible to bring in additional back-ups.

I think it shows how safe these stations were - it took the very, very, very, worst Nature could throw at us, an unprecedented, event, to bring them down. And even then, we're not looking at anything like Chernobyl. Which was a manmade disaster.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

No not your OP, just this situation in general.

There are some people that have no idea what nuclear reactors are like, and are thinking this is going to be a north American wipeout. They are panicking and have no idea that the fallout could not reach us in harmful doses. No need to stress people out.

The Japanese are the ones to worry about and hopefully there will be very little poisoning there, as everything to this point has been expected. They knew the building would blow but they thought better to vent inside the building to have as little exposure as possible.

If full meltdown occurs it will be contained, as it has needed protection if the situation gets this dire, the Japanese people will have to hold the government as responsible as there have been many man-made mistakes to this point, but, the containment structures will continue to hold. They are built in case of full meltdown.

Also, the cores are not fissioning as they were during Chernobyl, they had been shut down with moderator rods. This is much less than anything to do with Chernobyl, 100 times less nuclear physicists are saying, more along three mile island, which really was a small scale event.

Hopefully the world sees the panic that this has caused and makes the regulators take even more precautions in the future, as in preparing for a 9.5+ quake. This is where tax money should be going because the US ones are not even as close to being prepared as the Japanese ones are, and that's a scary thought.

Also the ones in the US do not have thousands of miles to a populated area, it is right beside the plants and more radiation would be leaked.

Sorry, I didn't direct the post at you I was just getting sick of people spreading mis information.

Pred...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

I agree it was the worst conditions but when a large quake hits off shore chances are there will be a tsunami, anyone that understands plate tectonics knows that. The absolute worst scenario should be planned out and executed in perfection when it comes to nuclear reactors, peoples lives are not expendable.

The Japanese plants are designed well and survived a larger quake than planned but the fact that the back up generators didn't work, then the batteries ran out, then the other diesel generators didn't fit and the finally they run out of petrol? Come on, this things should not have been given a chance to come to fruition.

Hopefully they will shut down the plants and increase the level of preparedness for all of them, the containment structures will hold but no thanks to the effort being put forth by japan right now, luckily they were disgned for a worst case scenario.

Pred...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

I heard the nuclear physicist that helped build those older seventies facilities say today that, these plants should have been scraped by now, many here in America are shut down and considered obsolete, I don't know why the news media keeps saying the Japanese have this situation under control due to their technology, that just isn't true.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
There is a lot of misinformation being spread around. I do respect Scientific America, fwiw. This explains a lot about that particular design and power back up which is of utmost concern at this point. The batteries won't last long enough and they are currently using turbine steam power from the heat of of the plant itself...the problem is there is no real end in sight.
www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisCrikey

There is no immediate end in sight. There is one it is just going to be a couple months away.

It has nothing to do with the technology of japan it was in the original engineering of the containment structures. The will contain the cores even in a full meltdown, it will be a big mess of a cleanup so they are trying to avoid that, but the only real damage will be done in a small vicinity around the plants, and it shouldn't even be that bad.

The engineers saved a Chernobyl style event, and the Japanese stop the fission reactions as the quake hit.

Pred...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I agree, see my last post above, nothing to do with technology at all. They are running out of diesel fuel, technology doesn't even matter in that situation.

Pred...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

The Japanese plants are designed well and survived a larger quake than planned but the fact that the back up generators didn't work, then the batteries ran out, then the other diesel generators didn't fit and the finally they run out of petrol? Come on, this things should not have been given a chance to come to fruition.

To be fair, no event like this has ever happened in modern times so I can understand the Japanese not being quite as well prepared as, in hindsight, we realise they should have. I'm sure henceforth they will be.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

They claimed they were prepared enough, and yes, they better be more prepare in the future, that is the best we can hope for. I know all these things will happen and they will try and prevent a situation like, what is pissing me off is people here saying that the west coast is going to be poisoned when every fact about what is going on is not saying that.

We are getting information from people who are not fully caught up in the facts of the situation. If FULL meltdown occurs it will be contained in the containment structures, it is designed for that, so worst case scenario is that japan will have a lot to clean up, the causalities in japan will be minimal, and here will be none, and that's worst case.

Pred...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

They are dealing with nuclear radiation, and these are very easy mistakes that are being made by the Japanese. They should have had enough fuel for a couple of months for the diesel generators and enough battery back up for a couple of days, if not weeks.

That's just a bit silly, no? Enough diesel to power the gennies for a couple of months? Do you know how much diesel would have been needed? Batteries to last for a couple of weeks? You'd need a building the size of the reactor itself to hosue that many batteries. These fail safes they have are only really there to provide emergency back up for a few days, tops. It just so happened that the back ups were swamped by the huge wave and the batteries only lasted as long as they were planned too.

I think some benefit of the doubt should be given to the Japanese, the reactors all survived the quake easily. It was the unprecedented Tsunami that buggered them up. And you can;t build Nuclear stations away from a plentiful water source, such as the sea, as demonstrated here because they are pumping sea water in to try and cool them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join