It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aokigahara (Japans suicide forest)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Aokigahara (Japans suicide forest)
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/469ecc14030e.jpg[/atsimg]

Aokigahara also known as the Sea of Trees, Is a forest that lies at the north west base of Mount Fuji.. Aokigahara Forest is known for two things in Japan: breathtaking views of Mount Fuji and suicides.. The forest is a popular place for suicides, reportedly the world's second most popular suicide location after San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge. This popularity is often attributed to the 1960 novel Nami no Tō by Seichō Matsumoto.. A Novel that ends in Two lovers taking there own lives in the forest.

However, the history of suicide in Aokigahara dates from before the novel's publication, and the place has long been associated with death. The act of obasute which is when an infirm or elderly relative was carried to a mountain, and left there to die, either by dehydration, or starvation. Was practiced on the mountain into the 19th century..the forest is reportedly haunted by the ghosts of those left to die.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7591115816d9.jpg[/atsimg]

Since the 1950s, Over 500 people have lost their lives in the forest, mostly atributed to suicides,In the period leading up to 1988, about 30 suicides occurred there every year..In 1999, 74 occurred. This was the record untill 2002 when 78 suicides were discoverd..

A intersting fact is that Japan has the second lowest homicide rate in the world..While it is home to the world's second most popular suicide location..

The Japanese government said suicide rates are a priority and pledged to cut the number of suicides by more than 20 percent by 2016. It plans to improve suicide awareness in schools and workplaces..

So what could be causing this ? Why of all places..Is this the place to go if you want to cease to exist..Could this tie in with some kind of ancient legend ?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/77a4a7529487.jpg[/atsimg]

Sorry if already posted..I just found this interesting and wanted to share.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
The Japanese are a very suspicious people who have followed custom and tradition from their beginnings. When the "Legend" of the 2 lovers killing themselves spread down thru time, it naturally became a place of wonderment and mystery.

As before the novel, who knows? Could be as simple as a place to dump murder victims or families carrying their loved ones there that had committed suicide in their own homes in order to give their death more meaning or to hide their shame.

In Korea, there is still to this day a belief that leaving a fan on in a room at night with closed doors and windows, will cause death. Even tho many believe it is just a story spread to hide murder, suicide etc, you can't convince a Korean if you are having dinner with them. Lived there for 8 yrs and still don't get it.

Fan Death:

en.wikipedia.org...

IMHO
edit on 14-3-2011 by jude11 because: update

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Yes, Very true!..But the suicides pre-date the novel of the two lovers That committed suicide. Perhaps it was a legend before it was ever printed.

Thanks for the link on fan death. I have read about this briefly before..Very curious idea..but interesting none the less..

edit on 14-3-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
The Japanese are a very suspicious people who have followed custom and tradition from their beginnings. When the "Legend" of the 2 lovers killing themselves spread down thru time, it naturally became a place of wonderment and mystery.

As before the novel, who knows? Could be as simple as a place to dump murder victims or families carrying their loved ones there that had committed suicide in their own homes in order to give their death more meaning or to hide their shame.

In Korea, there is still to this day a belief that leaving a fan on in a room at night with closed doors and windows, will cause death. Even tho many believe it is just a story spread to hide murder, suicide etc, you can't convince a Korean if you are having dinner with them. Lived there for 8 yrs and still don't get it.

Fan Death:

en.wikipedia.org...

IMHO
edit on 14-3-2011 by jude11 because: update

Yes!! I had an off-base apartment in Seoul. One night I somehow found myself in the company of a local female... When we went back to my place for some inter-cultural exchange, I was soon forced to decide between turning off my fan (no A/C and it was HOT and humid) and more enjoyable activities. I decided to turn the fan off.

I spoke to a least 10-20 KATUSAs the next day and they all believed it, too. They had no logical reason for doing so, but they did believe...

Now, ON-TOPIC:

There was a Destination Truth episode on Scyfy about this. If you can stand the host, it wasn't half bad.

edit on 14/3/11 by 35Foxtrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by 35Foxtrot

Not a big fan of the show..Though that would make for a interesting watch! thanks for informing me about this..and sharing your experience in Seoul! Very interesting about the whole fan thing..I'm going to look into this further.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
This must be the episode in question..

GOOD CALL FOXTROT! i'm going to watch this now thanks!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

Yeah. I find Josh Gates (the host) to be, pretty much, a penis head.

and, yup, that's the episode above.
edit on 14/3/11 by 35Foxtrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by 35Foxtrot

Actually, one conclusion I came to made more sense than anything, even to a Korean!

I was having BBQ with a local and of course, I bring up the topic as I always love a little friendly cultural debate over my bacon and Soju.

I told him that my thoughts were that after the war, the Govt. spread this little bit of "Propaganda" as I called it, in order to scare the citizens into turning off all unnecessary appliances at night to save on power. The Country was rebuilding and power was at a minimum so a little scare tactic instilled amongst an already superstitious culture was the way to accomplish this.

He looked at me and said "How did I not see this?"

Here's a good discussion about it:

Ask A Korean!

askakorean.blogspot.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
My apologies. I just realized my input went a little off topic. Well, almost the same as it's a deeply rooted Asian superstition.

Not my intention to do so.

Jude11

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The second photo...

Is that a stick jabbed thru the eye of the skull? If it is, that's a rather bizarre way to commit suicide.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Maybe the people who committed suicide were lonely in life and by going to somewhere they knew would have a large population of spirits, they would not be lonely in the other world. The Japanese have respect for their ancestors, and may feel this is a good place to die and join those who are there.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Very possible explanation. Good point!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
Maybe the people who committed suicide were lonely in life and by going to somewhere they knew would have a large population of spirits, they would not be lonely in the other world. The Japanese have respect for their ancestors, and may feel this is a good place to die and join those who are there.

You know, I think that was one thing mentioned in the Destination Truth episode. But, I saw it a long time ago and cannot bear to watch 45 minutes of Josh "Weiner" Gates and his failed (painfully so) attempts at humor to verify...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

No apology necessary!.. That is a very interesting point you raised there my friend..

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64

EXCELLENT THOUGHT! I never looked at it that way..This is not only very possible.. But most likely the reasoning behind this..As they may believe it to be a way to either honor, Or cleanse the soul before it passes on..

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
The second photo...

Is that a stick jabbed thru the eye of the skull? If it is, that's a rather bizarre way to commit suicide.

Hmm. it looks like it could be a leaf possibly..Or maybe someone was messing with the skull.. Who knows.

I doubt someone would be able to forcefully stab them self in the eye..I know I wouldn't be able too.

edit on 14-3-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
it has been on ATS before.
I can not find the one with links to the video story.
witch is very good.
I did find this old one
www.abovetopsecret.com...
there is a lot on Utube.
I like this one.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

Thanks for the links! The thread you linked me too is great..Lots of information..We should finish this discussion in that thread!

new topics

top topics

join