It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Market's health more important than human's health?!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Here you have it folks, the wonderful mindset of Wall Street brought to light once again.

The quote of the day by Larry Kudlow:
"The human toll here looks to be much worse than the economic toll and we can be grateful for that."

He'll probably say it was a simple mistake, but we know that market analysts do not consider the loss of human life as tragic unless it affects the markets adversely.

That is the mindset that puts people out of work to increase profit margins, and people out of their homes through illegal foreclosures if it helps their mutual funds gain a few points.

the Billmeister

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Don't mean to sound cynical but that does not surprise me one bit. Our whole society in general has it's priorities mixed up. It's easy to point at this individual or "bankers/WSers, but in reality we all support this insanity. Every action that we as a whole take, in one way or ther other, is DIRECTLY influenced by potential economic growth, even if that is at the expense of the public and the environment. Hopefully we'll grow up real soon and realize the world isn't about "markets" and capitalism.
edit on 14-3-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
When you shell out $100 or so for a football-baseball game, you're supporting this insane system.
When you pay ALL your taxes you are supporting the system.
When you choose to watch TV for 6+ hrs verses self improvement actions, supporting the system.
When you VOTE.... yeah I can go on for a few pages worth. Meanwhile local town budgets are so bad they have to cut the basics out, while corporations make billions and sit on it.

We are supporting this insanity every day, why? Because we are reliant on the system to survive, so just like in the Matrix movie, some of us will fight to defend the very system designed to keep us all enslaved. Plenty of evidence of that in this forum alone.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

I think your viewpoint is more "realist" than "cynical".

Perhaps this is simply an application of Darwin's "survival of the fittest" or "The Game Theory" to the markets.

Could it be that sharing, and caring for your fellow man goes against our most primal instincts, and that religions and/or ethics are tools used to try and balance this naturally occurring tendency?

Is this a losing battle, or even a battle worth fighting in the first place?

I tend to think that empathy is essential to the survival of the human race, at least in the world I want to live in, however, I am no billionaire, and perhaps this is one reason why.

the Billmeister

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
When you shell out $100 or so for a football-baseball game, you're supporting this insane system.
When you pay ALL your taxes you are supporting the system.
When you choose to watch TV for 6+ hrs verses self improvement actions, supporting the system.
When you VOTE.... yeah I can go on for a few pages worth. Meanwhile local town budgets are so bad they have to cut the basics out, while corporations make billions and sit on it.

We are supporting this insanity every day, why? Because we are reliant on the system to survive, so just like in the Matrix movie, some of us will fight to defend the very system designed to keep us all enslaved. Plenty of evidence of that in this forum alone.

Right on the money. I use to be the type of person that would look at the world and say this or that is the boogy man, but I have come to realize just how interconnected everything is. When you realize that you "cast your vote" so to speak by what you purchase, see (TV, movies etc), what you value, what you see as goals, what you value as leisure, and forms of entertainment you indulge in, so forth and so on, you realize that you are as much a part of the problem than anyone that you choose to point the finger to/at (degrees/or levels notwithstanding). We all need to take a proactive role into changing our own world through our own actions. Don't like corporations? Stop buying their products. Don't like pop culture, don't indulge in it (give it ratings). Don't like agri-business and slaughter houses? By organic and consider going vegetarian. Don't like environmental destruction? Patronize companies that have good records and do your best to reduce you input into the problem. Don't like the current two party system? Vote 3rd party. I can go on and on.

"Man in the mirror" and all that lol.

Originally posted by Billmeister

I think your viewpoint is more "realist" than "cynical".

Perhaps this is simply an application of Darwin's "survival of the fittest" or "The Game Theory" to the markets.

Could it be that sharing, and caring for your fellow man goes against our most primal instincts, and that religions and/or ethics are tools used to try and balance this naturally occurring tendency?

Is this a losing battle, or even a battle worth fighting in the first place?

I tend to think that empathy is essential to the survival of the human race, at least in the world I want to live in, however, I am no billionaire, and perhaps this is one reason why.

the Billmeister

I don't think it goes against our human nature or primal instincts. IMO I think there are many levels of human consciousness. Some "young souls" (just a term) are more primal and adhere to the more primal urges: Eat, Sex, Dominance or submission, fear or non-fear, control etc.. Other "older souls" adhere to other "instincts" (for lack of a better word) such as compassion, empathy, connectedness, giving/sharing, harmony/balance etc..

I might be an optimist when it comes to human potential and a cynic when it comes to present human condition/thinking. I think we can do much better, but I think a paradigm shift is going to have to happen, and that shift requires everyone "in the know" to contribute BY EXAMPLE. Thanks for the link I'll check it out when I get home (at work currently lol). Star and flag for thread OP.

edit on 14-3-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: Holy Grammar mistakes batman

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

I have repeated discussions on this point.

We are bombarded by messages of a global economic meltdown, yet stadiums, arenas and coliseums are full of people watching multi-millionaires hitting, throwing, kicking and catching various objects for entertainment.
Not to mention motor races and air shows that consume huge amounts of a, supposedly, dwindling resource.

Madness, but I agree, we all participate, in one degree or another, at perpetuating it all.

the Billmeister

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Once again, I totally agree.

We underestimate the power of the consumer.

It is easy to complain about jobs being transfered overseas, or companies acting "immorally", yet, many don't realize that if we stopped buying products from these companies, and made our reasons for doing so clear, they would change their policies very, very quickly.

the Billmeister

new topics

top topics

join