It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Houston to host first all black spelling bee

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Justagyrl

Thanks for the honest answer. The black community could use more people like you.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions

Originally posted by pplrnuts
Look, facts are facts... under normal circumstances, these students would be nonexistent in such a competition due to the likes of Asian and Caucasian students who excel WAY beyond them in the realm of academic contests.

Honestly, they wouldnt have the chance to do this if up against Asian and Caucasian students, so why not just limit the contestants to themselves sort of like the Special Olympics?

Hopefully they try to keep out the Ebonics BS though as that is just complete foolishness.

edit on 14-3-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

This is faulty logic. First of all it's not like there are no rich, successful black families in this country. There's plenty of them, but admittedly so not as many as white rich families due to the fact that this country is predominantly white. As hard to believe as it may be for some, there are also MANY poor white families out there, some destined for the trailer park and worse. Maybe instead of this competition being for blacks, it should be for lower social class students.

By suggesting that blacks have their own spelling bee to "level the playing field", it is implied that blacks are just too stupid or uneducated to compete with other kids. Have no black kids ever made it to the national spelling bee competition? I seriously doubt this.

The POINT of competition is that we find the best of the best in a given segment of knowledge or sport. What is the point in a competition that doesn't include all the talent, no matter what race or social class they are? There have been plenty of poor kids, black kids, who grew up to be amazing and intelligent people. If they compete in an environment populated by second or third-bests, how will they ever challenge themselves to the full maximum? The whole concept is absolutely ridiculous.

Well said.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by HaveAnotherOne
reply to post by Justagyrl

Thanks for the honest answer. The black community could use more people like you.

I think this country could use more people who will judge a person "not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character". True then, true now. Don't assume I am lazy and use ebonics because I am black.

P.S. The "black community" doesn't hold a yearly meeting so that every black person can vote on how we want the rest of country to view us. That is just a myth you and many others have come to believe. But, if I am wrong and one year I get an invite, I will make sure to let everyone know that the black community need more of my kind:-))
edit on 14-3-2011 by Justagyrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by somuchhtosay41

Actually I was giving you a hard time. And commend you on your statements from page 2.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join