It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When was the last time you felt fear?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The kind of fear I am talking about, is the immutable, unbargainable, kind of fear, where the mental blocks are removed, where the whole nervous system is in a state of dark confusion, where naturally stable states of mind are turned into dellusional states of mind, where even the logical mind is blinded... How often do we have nightmares, where everything is believable to our minds, illogical, ridiculous to our normal awareness, but believeable, conceivable, by the minds we possess in our dreams. What if, what if... What if our minds were to revert to such a state while in the waking world - hallucinations, fears, paranoia, etc... What if the fabrics of our mental constructs were to be altered in some way, the mental stability that we all take for granted turned on its head?

Personally? I experience it regularly, its over all kinds of illogical things, however, usually after a dark period, something happens and I am in the light again, and the cycle repeats. Often, when in the darker mood, when I look at people, when I think about the state of the world, the state of peoples minds, I can see some of the truth, I can see the smiles of some people are really evil grins, I can sense the "evil" as it were. When I am in a lighter mood, I can feel the sense of warmpth from nature, the hope within myself that everything will be ok, and then, it usually alternates...
edit on 14-3-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate....leads to suffering.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I have to answer to this thread. It's worthy of a flag.

I haven't felt fear for a long time, because I found out the secret to overcoming them. Being truly metal. You see metal music is a way of life. It can help you overcome anything.

For example; psychological horror movies used to scare me disturbingly. Not anymore. Nowadays they just feel childish.

PEACE

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Badly jumping from an aeroplane and thinking I'd got my right leg wrapped around the static line. If I was fully loaded and could of dropped a log in those few split seconds, I would of.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I realize fear is a lower emotion that is wasteful. That said, what is happening in Japan as we speak has me fighting off fear in a huge way. I am empathic. These things leave me so completely overwrought in many emotions, fear being a huge one. Breathing techniques, positive thoughts and distractions are helping. Under ordinary circumstances I do a good job evading fearful thoughts. (:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by of the Ether
I realize fear is a lower emotion that is wasteful. That said, what is happening in Japan as we speak has me fighting off fear in a huge way. I am empathic. These things leave me so completely overwrought in many emotions, fear being a huge one. Breathing techniques, positive thoughts and distractions are helping. Under ordinary circumstances I do a good job evading fearful thoughts. (:

Irrational fear is harmful.

Rational fear is there for a reason, fight or flight.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by JonoEnglish

Bad jump from a plane for me too. Summer 1979. Only broke a leg. Otherwise have been fear free. Fear is not something that should be experienced regularly. I would suggest the op might want to explore anxiety issues with a professional.

There is a pill for that.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
The last time my in-laws visited, I thought they were going to stay the night. Sends chills down my spine just reliving the experience

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by JonoEnglish

UNLESS.... one wishes to transcend human nature and rise above what holds us down...

I feel fear quite often, Especially with all the chaos going on in this world. I have to consciously remind myself that everything is exactly as it should be at this moment. It helps me turn the fear into non-fear.The chaos is a part of the plan that co-incides with human free will, and since I am part of this free will plan I try to use my emotional energy for the greater good.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

Would you believe that its been so many years since I felt fear? I would say around 2004 was the last time I felt fear for it was my fist time in Iraq. After gettng use to it throughout the years im still looking for any weaknesses I might have picked up as far as being scared even after leaving for good. Fearing the unknown is not the becoming of me. I make sure to learn about what I fear so that it doesnt do so in the future.

edit on 14-3-2011 by Stop-loss! because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
A couple weeks ago.
It wasn't as bad as the OP's fear but its something I won't be forgetting anytime soon.

I was camping alone in cougar territory in a bush that made so much noise that you couldn't tell if it was an animal in front of you or the forest.
Constant branches breaking all the time...a cougar could have been there and I would never even know.
I was unarmed as well and was warned before I left to keep my eyes peeled because some fresh tracks were found not far from where I was going.

It was a fun trip regardless but a little freaky.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Every morning when I wake up and look at my dwindling bank account.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Last time I knew true fear..is a personal story i'm not to sure if I want to share at this time.. But I will say this, Fear can either lead to acts of extreme bravery..or acts of cowardice. fear is part of human nature.. Interesting to know how people react to fear.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
About 3 years ago. I left my cell in my van and went out to retrieve it. I live on the side of a mountain in British Columbia so i get all sorts of wildlife here, mainly deer. Anyway, i walked to the van not noticing anything around me, just focusing on getting the phone. I opened the door, saw it between the seats, picked it up and as i looked up to come back out there was a huge black bear staring at me through the window. He/she was easily 6-7 feet tall. It was leaning on an apple tree next to the vehicle. I just stood frozen for a few moments. Moments that seemed like an eternity to me. I decided (against better judgement) to make a run for it back to the house. Luckily, there were no cubs around so the bear wasn't defensive. It just wanted to eat apples. It stayed in the same place while i contemplated changing my underwear behind the safety of my front door

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Lets see..

Lightning striking within 20 feet of me on three separate occasions.

A tornado almost pulling us off the highway and three more barreling down on the house later that day.

Hurricane Ike, huddled under the plumbing while my house expanded and contracted for four hours.

An unidentified flying object.

Several poisonous serpent and and arachnid encounters.

A few personal stories.

I know fear.. I don't like it but I know it.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by walltofloor

Thats kinda funny.

I had a similiar experience like that under different circumstances that ended with me sleeping in a canoe after coming face to face from about 5 feet away.
Fun times!!

At least they weren't grizzlies!!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I get alot of rational fear..fear that is qualified with consequences...nothing mysterious or odd about it, like if you become fearful when seeing a meteor about to land on your head type thing...however, that fear can motivate you once you get used to it and channel it...

If its repeatable like clockwork, then you know how to react..like a soldier whom is constantly being shot at...initially its tramatic, but a few months later and the same situation will simply make him react quickly..always mindful of whats going on, but using their fear to focus.

I can also trigger irrational fear symptoms in myself as quickly as a thought now, and often I do for purposes best left alone...however, my rational fear taught me how to quickly make my body respond to irrational fears..making my blood pressure shoot up, my heart race, etc.

Several years ago, I was "bored" with life. Now I long for the day when I am in the same level of boredom again...it will come, but it can't come fast enough in my opinion. Problems..we all have em.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I don't understand how people can live in fear...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
It is normal to feel fear. It comes from the next second which is an unknown, for none can predict the future, not even a second's worth.

But fear is only an emotion, an emotion that you CAN control, by being prepared and ready for what is come - the possibilities and the probabilities discerned rationally and objectively, and with that in mind, whichever way the dice falls, you will be prepared to counter those challenges that may and will arise with courage and knowledge to act.

And that - courage and knowledge - will set you free and dispel your fears.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
OP if you feel such intense fear over many things I thing you are living from a place of fear. If you let your mind perceive the world as a fearful, and negative place you will spawn such emotion. Always looking at the worst in the world, and expecting the terrible will inevitably manifest it.

I find I fear strange things, but not the things I should. I have come into close contact with bears, mountain lions, and rattlers. I slowly backed away with a little more than an adrenaline rush. I have been in riots, third world hot spots, and the victim of armed robbery. Once I slipped hiking, and had to punch my fist into ice to prevent a deadly fall. All those events were scary, but I never was paralyzed like the fear you describe.

Fast forward to a lecture I gave in front of a room full of people. I was freaking out. I had to do breathing exercises, and I even began to feel faint. Another time, I was going to a see a lady friend I had not seen in a time. I was practically having a nervous breakdown. Why do I fear somethings, and not others?

I have come to think that it is purely based in my own mind. I manifested insecurities that lay deep inside my psyche into reality. In effect, I created the fear. My own reaction was not a justifiable fear, but my perception of certain circumstances in a certain way.

My advice to you is to take a look at your overall mood, and thoughts. If you are always thinking negative you will naturally manifest fear. I find meditation to be great for helping my mood. I get into a slump of negativity, and my outlook of the world adjusts accordingly. Once I open to the love from the higher powers I am able to move away from negativity.

Good luck in facing fear. It may be hard, but it is why we are here. We must face our demons, or we will never move on. Love or fear are the two choices. The mind creates a chasm, and the heart crosses it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join