It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. mayor, police chief charged with smuggling guns to Mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

U.S. mayor, police chief charged with smuggling guns to Mexico

www.washingtonpost. com

Columbus NM Mayor Eddie Espinoza, Police Chief Angelo Vega and nine others amassed weapons beginning in January 2010 for sale across the border, according to an indictment unsealed Thursday. At least a dozen of the 200 guns they purchased later turned up in Mexico.

The suspects were arrested Thursday in a raid by federal agents and state police. One suspect is at large.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
theoasisofmysoul.com

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Like it or not. this country is at war with the Mexican Cartel's what this 11 people did is tantamount to giving aid and comfort to the enemy... Supplying arms to terrorist groups, what the hell were they thinking????

By the way, to those of us who grew-up down there, we know the smugglers, (drug and human trafficers) come up through Columbus then hit Interstate 10 to take them into Phoenix and LA, bypassing the border patrol check point between Deming and Los Cruces NM...Been that way for almost 50 years now

On another side note... a few of us in the Shooting community are starting to think this in some way ties into the ATF fiasco of this past couple of weeks... if you dont know that story in short Fed Agents knowingly let weapons cross into Mexico so they could see in who's hands they ended up in... now their in trouble for it...

Columbus, NM (Bottom of photo) Port of Entry, Palomas Mexico (at top of picture) most people walk across the border to shop then they do drive

Below is a link to a map to show you how close to the border they are

www.washingtonpost. com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 14-3-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-3-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Treasonous, venomous snakes. This is exactly the sort of backstabbing, and lack of patriotism that makes me sick to my guts. Dont get me wrong, alot of bad things get done under the flag of patriotism, usualy they are bad because they are nothing more than disguised fascism.
However, loyalty to ones homeland against common threat, adherence to sworn oath, and honesty... these things are patriotic, no matter where one lives. That this police chief , and this mayor have broken the trust between themselves and the public they serve is not in doubt, but to destroy that trust in such a manner? These men are the very worst sort of oathbreakers. I have heard of oaths sworn in duress, broken in vengance. I have heard of oaths sworn in foolishness, broken through realisation of a mans limitations, and though undesireable , the breaking of some oaths are unavoidable... but to break an oath for ones petty personal gain, and to do so , knowing that your actions make you responsible for the deaths of potentialy thousands of people? What manner of villainous filth were these men, and how did they ever attain office?
Persons who attain power in a community , ought to be the very best that community has to offer. I sincerely dobut that this is true in this case, otherwise the people that these men represent, and were supposed to protect,must surely be the spawn of hell itself. No... these men are snakes, who have wriggled into a position of power, from which they have sown the seeds of death and violence. I can only hope that when that death and violence return to them when they reap thier crop, that it comes for them alone, and leaves the bystanders to thier daily grind.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
How is this different then U.S arming the Taliban to fight Russians in the 70's or arming Israel?...

Oh yeah, because it's on your border; of course.
edit on 14-3-2011 by CanadianDream420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
How is this different then U.S arming the Taliban to fight Russians in the 70's or arming Israel?...

...or.... how is different from ATF allowing it's informants to purchase guns and traffick them across the border and then having one of those guns used to murder a border agent?

Well, I guess for ATF it's just business, to keep their drug running buddies and the bankers flush. For anyone else "not them" it's a crime!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
They should be executed for treason.
2nd line dammit!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

What it really says is that everyone has a "price $$" ...........

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I am about as critical of American foreign policy and dirty black ops as you will find.

But, to our Canadian friend above, I find absolutely no parallels between selling guns to Mexican drug cartels and the geo-political play of selling arms to the enemy of an enemy (i.e. Taliban '70s) or our shamelessly corrupt, blind support of Israel.

Ironically, I find all of the activities you've mentioned deplorable. But I'm not seeing the link to Mexican drug cartels you're trying to make.

Are you suggesting the whole game is about profit? Or are you drawing political parallels?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

well the US Government didn't do this... some rouge Mayor and a Police Chief did...
Why???
Who knows, family ties, profit, just cause guys in positions of power think their above the law???
Hell maybe it was all three

Taliban vs Cartels... that's Apples and Oranges my friend...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I cannot believe you are comparing this crime to the govt sale/give away of weapons to the Taliban. These jerk-offs were selling weapons for personal profit not for any political ideology.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Hey Canada,
You're not immune either. Don't be surprised when it's found that your government is just as involved as ours when it comes to gun smuggling. Your border is half our problem. Many of the illegals are coming over the Canadian border as well!

Zindo

top topics

join