It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

looting :Japan VS US

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by tom502

True Tom and that is fact. I remeber when I was over there there was this lady who killed her childrem. And it was front page headlines like everyday for weeks about it.

It is a totally different way of life.

The only thing I did not like is when taking trains. OMG the people run from one train to the next like they are running late every day. Some times you had to jump out of the way if you were walking down the wrong set of stairs.

Other than that they are very friendly and caring and are always going out of there way to do nice things for us when we visit their country. I can tell you you go ever there and walk into a deptment store and they are all like.

Hollo welcome to our store. Thansk for coming here today. Very Very polite.

Come here and it is like you bothering them when your the customer.

I miss the hospitalitly.

try going over there and pulling into the gas station. hell a pit crew comes out cleans your winshield wipes the whole entire exterior of your care checks you oil and all that. And most of the time it is all the places you go are like that.

They definetly know how to serve people.

Very kind, very polite peopl.

Here we are rude and abusive to others and would fight the store onwers if they didn't give us enough fries with our happy meal.

Make me sick sometimes.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
i just remember this and had to look it up.
this might help, understand the japaneses mind set some.
the even teach their kids this in school.

ewayjapan.blogspot.com/2010/04/over-spring-break-i-had-opportunity-to. html

and here's wiki.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachikō

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by tonypazzohome

True. I was in Japan actually. But you are right like I have said before it takes a massive life changing diasaster for people to come together.

Yes we do come together. Some of us anyway. I do agree.

I like to be prepared and some would like to rely on others like me to support them and feed them when SHTF.

I prepare to take care of my family. Now if everyone prepared because the tell us. HEY!!! you should be prepared because when TSHTF we will not be able to help right away logistallly speaking so make sure you have some food on hand and bottled water so you can survive until we can reach out to you.

Others would like to spend their whole pay check out drinking Friday nigh to complian monday morning they don't have money for lunch.

Hello buddy it is called a budget. get on one and stop askeing me to borrow money. I fell for that once and you still owe me 20 bucks. And the never of you to ask me again. After you still owe me 20/GFYS

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
There are many experiments on life going on around the globe. Some are bizarre and violent. Others focus on peace and cooperation. None are perfect.

The very Japanese who are being praised here for their decorum and spirit of cooperativeness in the face of disaster are the same people who bestowed unbelievable cruelty onto non-Japanese in their not so distant past. They are none to be honoured without question.

Americans, who are notoriously involved in some of the most despicable atrocities world-wide are also historically amongst the most generous peoples on earth.

Dichotomy everywhere in the human being. Will one day we ever resolve the crazy extremes and come to the realization that all of us are worthy of respect and care; and not only us but the rest of the non-human life that is this world?

I still have hope in spite of it all. Let us learn from each other and grow as one.
edit on 3/14/2011 by wayno because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I think it all really depends on which city the disaster takes place.. if it strikes a pretty small and close net community, then looting won't happen much, if at all. When it strikes new Orleans or say Compton L.A then you bet there is going to be looting..

Your comparing apples to oranges.. there are places all over the world where there will be looting or people coming together to help each other. Not country specific at all..
edit on 14-3-2011 by Discover because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
OP: I had the same thoughts, when i watched the news yesterday, there has been dozens of people queing in front of the only supermarket that had open. They openend only one door, because they have been afraid of looting.

But the whole scene was very peaceful, everybody queing in one line. Such a contrast to the pictures from Katrina.

As said before the reasons are to find in culture, community feeling, general respect for each other.

I was in the 2004 Tsunami and have experienced it, how some people can drastically change under trauma-situation. Some suddenly turned into real nasty persons, some have shown their good, civilized and helpful side.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Regardless of what kind of cultural basis I live in.......I will act accordingly under citcumstances.....if somebody come at me with a gun....I sure take them down......somebody need help....I do the best of my ability to help them.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by svetlana84

I think you are absolutely right concerningt the dicotomy of reactions to trauma and fear. I helped serving food etc. at the old Astrodome in Houston after Katrina and the reactions of the refugees pretty much fell into two very distinct responses. Some folks were very grateful for anything, but a more vocal majority had nothing but complaints over the help that was being given. I'll never forget sweating my head off handing out free water only to be insulted over it "not being cold enough" or the kids stealing half gallons of free icecream instead of waiting for a portion. Also, even among the survivors sleeping on cots, I met one woman who had everything (about a pocketbook's worth) of her stuff stolen from her cot. Horrible.

When people don't respect themselves they cannot respect others. As a society, I don't believe we respect ourselves much. The content of our characters is not nearly as important as the contents of our houses or bank accounts. It's all about what a person looks like and has or can do for ya and not the far more important quality of ones character.

Our respect for ALL life has been systematicaaly undermined and eroded over the past 50 years. In it's place rampant materialism has been embraced as the balm for the hole in our Souls.

We are terrified because deep down we know we have built our houses on sand - quick sand. So in an attempt to comfort and reassure ourselves we grab for more. It matters not at whose expense. Sad.

edit on 14-3-2011 by robyn because: math error

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
A customer that comes in time too time in the store i work is like me, loves WWII stuff. not too long ago, he was telling me about the difference between americans back then, the troops, and the german troops. the germans, were very polite, very nice, proper, but they would shoot you..towards the ctitizens of occupied countrys. the americans came along, they wouldnt shoot you, but theyde grope the asses of women, take em n kiss em leaning them over.
huge culture difference hugh? the post made me think of it.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
survival of the fittest, by todays standards are for people who are used to living and thinkng like animals, moreso living. my roomate is one of em belive me. full of so much anger, blames everyone else around him, other cultrues ect. i get tired of it. its a waiste of breath and words. the first things outta his mouth, learning of the reactor problems in japan..the end is coming, stock up on ammo, get ready too loot stores when it all falls down. he means society here too.
then theirs poeple like me, whod like to avoid things like that. survival of the fittest is mideavil barbaric and will probably get you killed, as opposed to smart and wise thinkers. which is to avoid any conflict if self preservation is of essence..that usualy, in human terms, means we have sympathy and comapsion, and sometimes teaching or shwoing others that, people remember you in a good way. theirs bound to be few bad apples, but thats life. survival of the fittest nly really seems to fit, if its like end of the wrold, like the movie the terminator, or something..where masses of people are whoreded together to have to survive, and its about too be yuor last breath unless you stand up.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Japan also doesn't have black people. New Orleans was 70% black. There I said it, rather than dancing around the obvious.

There's also no looting when a tornado hits Kansas and Iowa. There were very little looting in the San Francisco earthquake in 1989 and the flooding in upper Mississippi River in Minnesota in 2001. There was no looting after September 11 either.

It's not mainstream American culture that is the culprit; it's the lack of mutual trust among people in black communities and the victim entitlement that are the culprits.
edit on 14-3-2011 by mrosenb because: added more examples

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
How about Karma.

The Western culture is divided, individualistic and uncooperative.
The tiny island of Japan would not have been a major competition to the Gorilla China or gun Slinging America if it were not for cooperation and honesty.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrosenb
Japan also doesn't have black people. New Orleans was 70% black. There I said it, rather than dancing around the obvious.

There's also no looting when a tornado hits Kansas and Iowa. There were very little looting in the San Francisco earthquake in 1989 and the flooding in upper Mississippi River in Minnesota in 2001. There was no looting after September 11 either.

It's not mainstream American culture that is the culprit; it's the lack of mutual trust among people in black communities and the victim entitlement that are the culprits.

Exactly what I was about to post. Japan pretty much has one identity which not only covers nationality but race as well. There all on the same "team" in a sense. Culturally blacks have a loooonnnnggggg way to go.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocky Black
reply to post by mayabong

Listen when catasrophy strikes your on your own. it is called survival of the fittest.

And I can say I am pretty fit to say the least.
puz:

Good for you ...can you out run a 174grain .303 British?or a .230 grain 45acp?
Rogues and scoundrels in my county will be "dealt" with.
Rules out the window? Give up morals,respect integrity and humanity?
Nice:
it's good reason to clean my AK....your tribe Won't be sharing meals in my tribe..

This sheep dog can smell trouble a mile off.:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
For Japanese people, like many Oriental groups, looting and other criminal behavior brings shame down on culprit and family and to be shamed is a devastating experience for them. It also helps to have a homogeneous society for which cultural norms are nearly universally experienced. Unlike places like the USA where diversity is a holy grail and when people steal it is only because they had a rough child hood.

Why is there no looting in Japan?
blogs.telegraph.co.uk...

Solidarity seems especially strong in Japan itself. Perhaps even more impressive than Japan’s technological power is its social strength, with supermarkets cutting prices and vending machine owners giving out free drinks as people work together to survive. Most noticeably of all, there has been no looting.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrosenb

Funny thing is this:
When a tornado strikes, they get aid the next day - usually white.
When a disaster hits anywhere in the world, the US is there w/in a day or two.
When did they first drop water to the victims of Katrina? When was the looting shown?
I rest my case.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by larrydavid
Too many people in America don't care about others or even themselves. They have no respect or honor.

To put it bluntly, alot of Americans just don't give a s##t. They have nothing, so they feel like they have nothing to lose.
They have nothing and they want to MAKE SURE you have nothing also !!!!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I find it pretty disgusting that most of you feel that the Japanese are so divine and we would turn into a confused, unruly pack of animals if such a disaster happened over here. It really comes off as pretty racist....natiost?... to me. The truth is if an emergency of this magnitude hit us it wouldn't be our greed, individualism, lack of honor, or anything else you people have suggested that would make us steal, murder, ect. It would be because of the same lack of trust for fellow men you have shown.
Odds are looting is taking place over there. Some is actually necessary, like food, water,...shelter items. Though looking at pictures and videos of the devastation over there, there seems to be very little to loot regardless. My heart goes out to them. They are a wonderful people(as a WHOLE), and they seem to be handling this situation rather respectably. Agreed, but after a short initial shock period I guarantee WE would come together and overcome anything that hit us. We are a very wonderful people(as a WHOLE) also.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Japan's culture is all based on respect, it is the basic principal of all Japanese people. Some of Americas people could learn a great deal about respect, not just within themselves, but towards mankind.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join