It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Fallout From Japan a Real Threat to the US?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I know there has been discussion on this in several other threads however it has been mixed in with other topics so I thought it deserved a specific thread, and since it is a survival issue that any survivalist should prepare for I thought it belonged here.

Here are some links and my thoughts on this so far. I invite any experts to correct me or add to what I have said and if we have any Nuclear Physicist or experts here please straighten us out of we have gone astray.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) is saying thier is no danger to the US...

www.upi.com...

Others disagree...

offgridsurvival.com...

I personally think the potential danger is minimal if at all.

Couple reasons. Japan is over 5000 miles from us and that means it would take fallout about 36 hours to reach us from what I have read. Fallout is radioactive dust, it loses its radiation levels by the hour. In 7 hours it will only be 1/1000 its original strength, in 36 obviously much less. This is not a nuclear bomb explosion that puts billions of particles of radioactive dust into the air via mushroom cloud, so there will be a lot less particles in the air. Rain removes the fallout dust from the air. By the time it travels 5000+ miles to the US through what ever rain and weather it has to go through I doubt what little actually reaches us will be much of a threat.

Never the less we should not ignore the possibilities of threat here, and this is a good reminder to be prepared and get some Potassium iodide in with you food storage. Contrary to popular belief most people would survive a nuclear attack or disaster and could easily survive the aftermath with a little preparation. Here is a link that will help on this

www.ki4u.com...

Also if you are not from the US feel free to post here also with facts relevant to the threat in your country.

edit on 14-3-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

In all honesty i think McDonalds is more of a threat to you guys...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Believe what you want. Just look a chernobl and look what happened down wind of them.

Use your head. If radiation was released into the air it does one of many things.

Falls to the ground.
youi touch it it gets on your cloths and if you have kids they stick there fingers in ther moutyh all the time.

You breath it in your lungs.

Yopu drink it in your water.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
reply to post by hawkiye

In all honesty i think McDonalds is more of a threat to you guys...

Lmao - and, the post of the day goes to...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
We don't know the danger levels yet. It will take weeks to months to determine exactly what levels of radiological contamination are spread by such an event.

What do we do when we don't know anything yet? We prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Don't count those chickens yet, let's ride this bad boy out the right way, through spreading legit information and using reliable sources to direct our disaster preparation.

We should all be prepared anyways, because events like this happen and we need to be ready to deal with them.

Preparing for a potential nuclear fallout event is rather simple actually, and only requires a few steps to really form a adequate shield of protection.

Do not panic or fear anything, just stay informed about the situation's developments. Be informed and aware of what you can do to protect yourself and your friends, family, neighbors.

We should all know everything about this already, but I know we don't and so I am going to keep pushing this information to enable and empower people to stand up against fear with knowledge and choose their own fates.

I am going to be pimping this thread I wrote today detailing exactly what needs to be done to mitigate the dangers posed by a fallout event. How to Survive Nuclear Fallout, a Guide.

I apologize for that, and I almost never push my own threads like this, but it is directly related to your topic, and it is extremely important information that needs to be spread. It will not only calm down people's fear, but it will give them the ability to do something constructive and productive. The information provided is legitimate and the sources are quite solid.

How do you shield yourself from a disaster? By utilizing information and disaster preparation.

It's very simple and straight-forward and anyone can achieve success.
I am here to dispel the myths about nuclear radiation, and I will provide solutions on how to deal with it safely.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

By the time it travels 5000+ miles to the US though what ever rain and weather it has to go through I doubt what reaches us will be much of a threat.

Hopefully it will get caught in rain and will be brought down into the ocean sometime today.

We have to keep our eyes on the weather and we need folks on the West Coast of USA/Canada out with their sensor equipment taking readings for the next few days.

We need this information so we can stay on top of this thing. We can avoid tragedy here easily, but we must stay vigilant and be ready for a worst-case scenario.

BTW thanks for linking the Ki4u.com guide. It's EXTREMELY GOOD.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Here is a good way of looking at this situation, imho.

Is driving a car a real threat to your life?

Yes, and no.

Yes if you are not prepared and ready for things to go wrong.

But if you are ready for someone to pull out in front of you, than you have a very high probability of reacting in time and saving your life.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I am not saying I have all the facts, that is the point of this thread. I gave my thoughts SO FAR, but I am open to being corrected and I posted links to two opposing opinions for that reason. I also pointed out that we should still prepare. I would like this thread to be a fact finding mission either way.

Everyone knows fallout is dangerous if it gets to you or your area. I want to know the likely hood of that happening in the US being over 5000 miles away. Its not like we are next door to Chernobyl.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocky Black
reply to post by hawkiye

Believe what you want. Just look a chernobl and look what happened down wind of them.

Use your head. If radiation was released into the air it does one of many things.

Falls to the ground.
youi touch it it gets on your cloths and if you have kids they stick there fingers in ther moutyh all the time.

You breath it in your lungs.

Yopu drink it in your water.

"use your head" right?

radioactive fallout decays to safer levels OVER just DAYS.plus as noted above: particles have to remain aloft long enough to travel across the pacific.

Chernobyl was a typically(Russian) outdated (different) reactor design from what I understand they used graphite to absorb nuetrons which is flammable;the explosion opened the containment; Smoke from burning graphite caused alot of fallout to be created and lifted high into the stratosphere; in addition vaporized molten fuel was blown into the environment
Nuclear accidents are "bad "no doubt but we don't need to run around crying and shooting our horses.(YET...)
edit on 14-3-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-3-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Will it reach the US: yes.

Will it have any quantifiable impact: no.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Of course if you really want to know
you have to check wind and Ocean currents
check this out...
Japan nuclear fallout map prediction for March 12 -18, 2011.
Side note we so many folks checking out the vids there a little slow to load

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Interesting that the gal in the first video thinks Japan should pay for our potassium iodide. Does she think they did it on purpose? The same thing could happen to us. California has a Nuclear Plant on the Coast literally at the beach at at San Onofre near San Clemente. If we had an earthquake off off the coast there and subsequent tsunami they could be in the same boat as Japan and the fallout would be a lot closer and much more dangerous.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

Graphite does not burn. It glows red hot and when the heat is gone it goes back to its normal properties.

When the fule rods burn cessium is released along with iodine those are what are gonna kill you.

Listen I work with radiation and I can tell you from experience that you could be exposed and not even know it. I had some minor exposure in the early 90's low dose but it caused damage to my eyes. One of the two most suseptable things is one your eyes you testes and your thyroid.

Believe what you want. I seek the truth and will not believe what I hear but will make judgment based on the facts.

Outer building exploded due to hydrogen build up which when release and mixed with oxogen boom. Hydrogen is a by product from the melting of the fule rods.

Yes the fule rods can melt and they can flood them with water to keep them cool but when the cloud is released into the enviroment it does not decay as you think. Decay is when you have a material like a fuel rod which is constantly decaying. This could take houndreds/thousands of years for this to fully decay.

Would you walk the ground at Chernobyl. I would most definetly not.

you know when a meltdown occurs you know what they do. They back fill the core with concret and lead to encapsulate it as it will emit hazardous radiaition for tousands of years. If it is not sealed then it leaks into the air. The particulates that were in the air were air from the core of the vessle. This air was shot up into the air as a last ditch erroft to prevent a fullmelt down. That is whne the core melts through the floor of the vessle this a worst case scenerio when that happens. it has not happened yet but the air which was vented was extremly toxic and if you were to breath that ari your lungs would absorb the particles which would result in gene mutation and eventually full blown cancer.

The air is toxic. believe what you want to believe. Wait for the people on the coast to give us some data then you came make your decision on the true data.

Me I will make my own decision. When the military and shipyards in Sandiego and along the west coast are on alert status for evac don't say that I did not warn you.

call some of your buddies on the west coast that are in the military. Ask them what they were told.

Now make your decision.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocky Black

Believe what you want. I seek the truth and will not believe what I hear but will make judgment based on the facts.

Maybe you could post some of the facts you think we are missing, that's what this thread is for? No one is disputing fallout is dangerous. And no one is dismissing the danger. Of course none us would walk the ground at Chernobyl. This is not Chernobyl and it is not in our backyard it over 5000 miles away. We are discussing the potential for the fallout to reach us from over 5000 miles away and how much the radiation will have decayed and been removed by rain etc by that time it does. If you think I am wrong on that then by all means say so and gives us some of those facts you mention to back it up instead of acting like were just a bunch of sheep dismissing any danger out of hand.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

The same agency who lite of nukes in Nevada and let the people down wind breath that stuff in without even telling them hey there is a cloud of dust wich is going to pass over you house today please stay in doors and tape your windows shut for the next 48 hours. no they let them breath that stuff in and let them die of cancer. look at history man.

Make your judgment on what we have done in the past because you know we are only detectors. Once we show open in the hospital with rad sickness than they keep track of it through the CDC but the never tell us. They just track it for history.

We have done studies and we know what the effects are. They are right there in black and white. But they will come out and spew this crap makes me sick.

They lie and I know it.

Just ask the tuskegee airmen. They knew it too....Oh no your ok your fine that is normal.

Like I said GFYS

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Here is a link saying there is no risk and explaining why based on how the reactor is built and has 3 levels of containment etc. Explanation is pretty comprehensive. Not saying it is true just posting the link for your information

www.businessinsider.com...

Opinions?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocky Black

When the military and shipyards in Sandiego and along the west coast are on alert status for evac don't say that I did not warn you.

Got a link or is there any verification of them being on alert?

new topics

top topics

join