It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: $6M Ransom Paid for Angelo's Release

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Although previous reports indicated terrorists had declined a $1M ransom offer from Manilla, reports are starting to surface of a $6M pay-off to secure former hostage Angelo de la Cruz's relase. $1M came from the Philippines and $5M from Malaysian intermediaries.

www.tribune.net.ph
The Palace, the Malaysian government and the Department of Foreign Affairs have refused to confirm or deny the reported ransom payment.

Time Magazine, quoting diplomatic sources, confirmed that $1 million was offered by the Philippine government but said this was rejected by the Iraqi rebels.

But with Malaysian intermediaries tapped, and raising the ante to $6 million for the Filipino hostage to be freed in time for the President's Sona, Tribune sources, who had an handle on the negotiations, said this amount bought De la Cruz' freedom and that his release was already a �done deal.�

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Philippines, through their troop withdrawal and their ransom payment, have not only placed their citizens at great risk, but also proven that kidnapping is a viable method of financing terrorism.

Related News Links:
www.malaya.com.ph
www.philstar.com

[edit on 20-7-2004 by Banshee]

df1

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Tell Mr & Mrs Berg about how the brave bush administration uncomprimisingly faced down the abductors of their son. I am sure they will want to give a rousing speech at the republican convention in support of the president. What right do those cowardly filipinos have to give a damn about their citizens? The US government doesn't give a damn about us and we like it that way.

"Nobody ever lost an election by underestimating the intelligence of the American people" -- Dr Warren Kostroski

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Would I rather lose a son or know that the ransom paid either by myself or by my government gave funding to a group of terrorists that killed thousands, possibly my son included? I love my son, but I don't think I could live knowing that my personal needs outweighed the lives of thousands.

df1

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wudman
I love my son, but I don't think I could live knowing that my personal needs outweighed the lives of thousands.

No evidence exists that this is the case. The money could just as well be used to buy medicine and food for thousands of starving, sick and injured arab children, thus saving your son would result in saving the sons and daughters of others. These people are not taking hostages because they are evil, they are taking hostages because they and their families are suffering a horrible plight at the hands of greedy scoundrels and criminals that have hijacked the US government.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Tell Mr. & Mrs. de la Cruz about how the cowardly Philippine administration compromisingly faced down his abductors. I am sure they will want to give a rousing speech at the democratic convention in support of the nominee. What right does the brave bush administration have to give a damn about their citizens? The Philippine government 't gives a damn about its citizens and we like it that way.

Oh, by the way, the home grown Philippine terrorist have now changed their demands for releasing their hostages. Can you guess what they are asking for? I bet you can.

www.manilatimes.net...

TAKING advantage of the government�s changed stance against terrorism, the New People�s Army said it would not release the soldiers it captured until the government suspends all military and police operations in the Bicol region.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Wudman,

I have a son and a daughter and I will die for them first and pay whenever for their lives, and I will not give a darn for what the money is used as long as my children stay alive, tell that to bush if one of his daughters gets abducted.

Shame on you.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
It looks like the market for hostage release has been adversely affected by Bush's economic policies. Just 4 years ago the going rate for a hostage release was $10M dollars.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Now, due to the overabundance of displaced workers employed in Iraq, the price has been driven down to $6M.

Now that's a bargain.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:10 AM
link   

No evidence exists that this is the case. The money could just as well be used to buy medicine and food for thousands of starving, sick and injured arab children, thus saving your son would result in saving the sons and daughters of others.

An abundance of ignorance. The terrorists have already shown their willingness to kill. Why don't YOU provide evidence of their willingness to spend the money for humanitarian purposes?

These people are not taking hostages because they are evil, they are taking hostages because they and their families are suffering a horrible plight at the hands of greedy scoundrels and criminals that have hijacked the US government.

Oh, ok then, as long as it's for a good cause. Why don't we just start offering hostages now?

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I have a son and a daughter and I will die for them first and pay whenever for their lives, and I will not give a darn for what the money is used as long as my children stay alive, tell that to bush if one of his daughters gets abducted.

That's why critical decisions usually aren't placed in the hands of people who are emotionally attached to a situation. What if the terrorist demands for your child's release were to kill 100 people-Men women and children. Would you do it to save the life of your precious child?

In order to come to a proper conclusion about what actions to take, a decision maker must remove emotional stake from the equation and look at the situation objectively.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Yes, the live of my children are more important than you or anybody else in the world how there you to ask me to choose between my children life and somebody else. Obviously you have not children and when you have them I hope you get to feel what it is lose a child.

Bush and his stupid war can go to hell for what I care my children live is more important than him and his stupid policies that are killing people around the world.

new topics

top topics

join