It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush: 'I Want to Be the Peace President'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   

After launching two wars, President Bush (news - web sites) said on Tuesday he wanted to be a "peace president" and took swipes at his Democratic rivals for being lawyers and weak on defense.

With polls showing public support for the war in Iraq (news - web sites) in decline, the Republican president cast himself as a reluctant warrior as he campaigned in the battleground state of Iowa against Democrat John Kerry (news - web sites) and his running mate, former trial lawyer John Edwards (news - web sites). Bush lost the state in 2000 by only a few thousand votes.

"The enemy declared war on us," he told a re-election rally. "Nobody wants to be the war president. I want to be the peace president."

Bush has called himself a "war president" in leading the United States in a battle against terrorism brought about by the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on America.

news.yahoo.com.../nm/20040720/pl_nm/campaign_bush_dc

I'm sorry, but HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You have got to be kidding me! I didn't know he was a comedian?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
thats is disgusting. bush is one deranged lunatic

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
My spleen hurts from the laughter. In a related topic I want to be "The Sober Alcoholic."

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
My personal bias thinks he's trying to stop the flow of republicans to Badnarik.

But who knows maybe that's what I want to believe.

[edit on 7-20-2004 by BeingWatchedByThem]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
If you annihilate everyone on the planet there will be no more human wars.
And looking out on all the corpses and destruction you see the wreckage of PEACE.

GREAT PLAN!

(that was facetious)

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Bizarre, given his firm stance that he is a wartime President.

This is one corrupt administration full of doublespeak and criminals.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Bizarre, given his firm stance that he is a wartime President.

This is one corrupt administration full of doublespeak and criminals.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Is this what Harvard and Yale pumps out these days?

"Nobody wants to be the war president. I want to be the peace president."

Sounds like a four year old suddenly deciding they don't want to be the robber, they want to be the cowboy for a change....

Are we still living in America? Let's rename our country if Bush gets reelected....let's call it Bushtopia....or how about....The Disunited Corporations of Bushgreedia

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The "War President" talking point made it's first appearance right at the start of this interview...

�MEET THE PRESS WITH TIM RUSSERT�
INTERVIEW WITH PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH
THE OVAL OFFICE, FEBRUARY 7, 2004
BROADCAST ON NBC�S �MEET THE PRESS�
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 8, 2004
PLEASE CREDIT ANY EXCERPTS TO NBC�S �MEET THE PRESS

Tim Russert: And we are in the Oval Office this morning with the President of the United States. Mr. President, welcome back to �Meet The Press.�

President Bush: Thank you, sir.

Russert: On Friday, you announced a committee, commission to look into intelligence failures regarding the Iraq war and our entire intelligence community. You have been reluctant to do that for some time. Why?

President Bush: Well, first let me kind of step back and talk about intelligence in general, if I might.

[Three more nonresponsive paragraphs]

Again, I repeat to you, the capacity to have good intelligence means that a president can make good calls about fighting this war on terror.

Russert: Prime Minister Blair has set up a similar commission in Great Britain.

President Bush: Yeah.

Russert: His is going to report back in July.

President Bush: Right.

Russert: Ours is not going to be until March of 2005, five months after the presidential election.

Russert: Shouldn't the American people have the benefit of the commission before the election?

President Bush: Well, the reason why we gave it time is because we didn't want it to be hurried.

[Three more nonresponsive paragrahs]

I'm a war president. I make decisions here in the Oval Office in foreign-policy matters with war on my mind. Again, I wish it wasn't true, but it is true. And the American people need to know they got a president who sees the world the way it is. And I see dangers that exist, and it's important for us to deal with them.

Russert: Will you testify before the commission?

President Bush: This commission? You know, testify? I mean, I�d be glad to visit with them. I�d be glad to share with them knowledge. I�d be glad to make recommendations, if they ask for some. I'm interested in getting � I'm interested in making sure the intelligence gathering works well.

Listen, we got some fine � let me � let me, again, just give you a sense of where I am on the intelligence systems of America. First of all, I strongly believe the CIA is ably led by George Tenet. He comes and briefs me on a regular basis about what he and his analysts see in the world.

Russert: His job is not in jeopardy?

President Bush: No, not at all, not at all.

The "Peace President" has flipped on practically everything in the first 5 minutes of this interview since earlier this year. Bet you anything he pulls away from this admission...

Russert: But there are lots of madmen in the world, Fidel Castro �

President Bush: True.

Russert: � in Iran, in North Korea, in Burma, and yet we don't go in and take down those governments.

President Bush: Correct, and I could � [while you simmer on the fact Bush just said he could take down Iran, North Korea and Burma, let's advance to his assessment of his administration] ...In other words, the policy of this administration is to be � is to be clear and straightforward and to be realistic about the different threats that we face.

And my personal favorite exchange...

Russert: You do seem to have changed your mind from the 2000 campaign. In a debate, you said, "I don't think our troops ought to be used for what's called 'nation-building.'"

Russert: We clearly are involved in nation-building.

President Bush: Right. And I also said � let me put it in context. [Bush continues but does not put that in context.]

Russert: But this is nation-building.

President Bush: Well, it is. That's right, but we're also fighting a war so that they can build a nation. [Three more paragraphs explaining how it's America's job to engage in nation building.]

I highly recommend reading the entire transcript. Or it's basically quoted throughout F911. Love all the yeahs, uh huhs, and answering criticism with right or correct, like "you're not putting me on the defensive. I'll agree I'm a liar before you prove it. I was trained by Obe Wan Chenobe".

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
this is also the president who wanted to be considered a "uniter"... and the country is more divided today than since vietnam.

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Ummmm Yeeeaaaaah, i don't think so Bush.

If ya ask me I think Bush wants to be known as the person who freed the middle east. Afgan, Iraq, Iran, NK.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Lets give him a bow and arrow and a baby diaper and he can pretend to be baby Cupid tomorrow.

He is ridculous.

new topics

top topics

join