It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to survive Nuclear Fallout , a Guide.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Hello people. I realize that everyone is freaking out about the meltdowns happening over at Fukushima and about the potential of some radioactive fallout reaching North America (USA - Canada) in the next 24-48hour time span.

So I have done some simple research for you folks, and have found a nice little guide to help you and your loved ones stay safe in the face of a real fallout event.

Fallout is essentially "radioactive dust" or particles which are lifted into the atmosphere and blow with the wind over vast areas and can harm plants, animals, etc in many cases. However there are many steps we can take to mitigate these dangers and to stay safe and ensure a happy healthy future for us all.

The key to this is INFORMATION. By knowing what you need to do and how to do it, you can make the best of the terrible potential situation developing.

Also you can utilize this guide for future instances of a potential fallout event.
I will use this as my Source.
However you and I can easily find hundreds of fallout preparedness guides online or at our local libraries with ease as they are all over the place. But sadly they are ignored until the day something like this happens and we actually need to dust them off and take a look at what our plan is gonna be.

Now...

#1) Should I flee or should I stay here?

You must decide FIRST if you need to prepare where you are, or attempt evacuation. The nature of the threat, your prior preparations, and your confidence in your sources of information should direct your decision. If you know already you will be preparing to stay at your own home or, at least, the immediate local area, go now to #2 below.
If you are considering evacuation, your decision requires very high confidence that it is worth the risk. You do not want to get stuck between your current location and your hoped for destination, as there will probably be no easy getting back.

I will not be quoting the entire article so check it out for further information. I am just gonna quickly go through this list for everyone.

#2) FIRST STEPS TO TAKE

Because time is of the essence, you need to first delegate and assign to different adult family members specific tasks so they can all be accomplished at the same time. Your first priorities to assure your family survival are Shelter, Water, and Food/Supplies. While some are working on the water storage and shelter at home, others need to be acquiring, as much as possible, the food and supplies.

#3) SUPPLIES

Because much of the food and supplies listed at #7 of this guide may quickly become unavailable, you need to assign someone NOW to immediately go to the stores with that list! Get cash from the bank and ATM's first, if it can be done quickly, but try and use credit cards at the stores, if at all possible, to preserve your cash.

#4) WATER

With one or more adults now heading to the stores with the list at #7, those remaining need to begin storing water IMMEDIATELY! Lack of clean water will devastate your family much more quickly and more severely than any lack of food. Without clean water for both drinking and continued good sanitary practices in food preparation and for bathroom excursions (which could be much less sanitary than normal), debilitating sickness could rampage through your family with little hope of prompt medical attention. That is a likely but, avoidable, disaster, ONLY IF you have enough water.

Every possible container needs to be filled with water RIGHT NOW! It will be very hard to have stored too much water. When the electricity/pumps go down or everybody in your community is doing the same thing, thus dropping the water pressure, what you've got is all you might be getting for a very long time. Empty pop bottles (1-3 liter) are ideal for water storage, also filling up the bathtub and washing machine. (Remember, later you'll have some in your hot water tank.) If you have any kiddie pools or old water beds, pull them out and fill them up, too.

#5) SHELTER

The goals of your family fallout shelter are: To maximize the distance away from the fallout 'dusting' outside on the ground, roof and trees. To place sufficient mass between your family and the fallout to absorb the deadly radiation To make the shelter tolerable to stay in while the radiation subsides with every passing hour

Basements are a big plus here, but it is not necessary and a viable shelter can be hardened quickly if you know what you are doing and have a little luck.

#6) ESSENTIAL INFO

Government information and guidance is a vital resource in your response to a nuclear crisis, but for many reasons it may be late, incomplete, misleading or simply in error. While evacuation might be prudent for individuals who act quickly in response to a threat, governments will be slow to call for mass evacuations before an event because of their potential for panic and gridlock.

Maybe the Govt will tell us what to do, maybe they won't. So you better figure it out yourself right now and make a PLAN and follow it till this fallout event is over and we can figure out the specifics later!

Filtering the air coming into your basement shelter won't be required. Air does not become radioactive, and if your basement is reasonably snug, there won't be any wind blowing through it to carry the radioactive fallout dust inside.

Regarding fallout contamination, any food or water stored in sealed containers, that can later have any fallout dust brushed or rinsed off the outside of the container, will then be safe to use. As long as the fallout dust does not get inside the container, then whatever radiation penetrated the food/water container from the outside does not harm the contents. If you suspect that your clothes have fallout on them, remove your outer clothing before you come inside and leave them outside. A cheap plastic hooded rain poncho that can be easily rinsed off or left outside is very effective. Have water and baby shampoo near the entrance to wash and thoroughly rinse any exposed skin and hair.

Have everything in sealed containers and WASH things off ASAP (Including yourself!!)

If without sufficient time to acquire radiological instruments of your own, like survey meters, Geiger counters and dosimeters, you'll need to be extra sure that your portable radios function properly from inside your shelter and that you have plenty of fresh batteries stocked for them. Without radiological instruments, listening for official guidance about the radiation threat levels in your particular area will be the only way you'll know when it's becoming safe to venture out.

Get sensor equipment, find someone with it, or keep your radios on!

When fallout is first anticipated, but has not yet arrived, anyone not already sheltered should begin using their N95 particulate respirator masks and hooded rain ponchos. Everyone should begin taking Potassium Iodide (KI) or Potassium Iodate (KIO3) tablets for thyroid protection against cancer causing radioactive iodine, a major product of nuclear weapons explosions. If no tablets available, you can topically (on the skin) apply an iodine solution, like tincture of iodine or Betadine, for a similar protective effect. (WARNING: Iodine solutions are NEVER to be ingested or swallowed.)

Get your rain ponchos ready and try to find KI or KIO3 please. Quickly before it's out of stock.

When you know that the time to take protective action is approaching, turn off all the utilities into the house, check that everything is sealed up and locked down, and head for the shelter. You should also check that you have near your shelter additional tools, crow bars, and car jacks for digging out later, if required, and fire extinguishers handy, too. Also, any building supplies, tools, sheet plastic, staple guns, etc. for sealing any holes from damage.

Get your tools rounded up and ready to go. Start putting tape over the door openings or windows. Cut off any openings to the outside.

You don't need to risk fire, burns, and asphyxiation trying to cook anything in the cramped shelter space. For lighting needs within the shelter have some small LED flashlights or LED head-lamps to stretch your battery life. Try not to have to use candles if at all possible.

#7) SUPPLIES LISTS

Go Acquire It All Now QUICKLY!
Better to risk being a little early when securing your families essential food and supplies, rather than a few hours too late and going home empty-handed...

It's a really long list. Please just stop reading my stupid little thread and GO to the actual SOURCE DOCUMENT Now please.

"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them; the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." - Proverbs 22:3

There are dozens of links found within my source article. There is information and answers surrounding you. Take action now, ask questions later. Better be safe than sorry. We don't know the severity of this incident yet, nor do we know the trajectory exactly.

ACT NOW.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Here is a very informative section that explains EXACTLY what is going on here and how you can handle it effectively in a intelligent manner.

The principles of radiation protection are simple - with many options and resources families can use to prepare or improvise a very effective shelter. You must throw off any self-defeating myths of nuclear un-survivability that may needlessly paralyze and panic, and then seal the fate of, less informed families.

Don't panic. Just be smart and STAY CALM. Do what you can do and you will avoid the worst of it.

Radioactive fallout is the particulate matter (dust) produced by a nuclear explosion and carried high up into the air by the mushroom cloud. It drifts on the wind and most of it settles back to earth downwind of the explosion. The heaviest, most dangerous, and most noticeable fallout, will 'fall out' first closer to ground zero. It may begin arriving minutes after an explosion. The smaller and lighter dust-like particles will typically be arriving hours later, as they drift much farther downwind, often for hundreds of miles. Once it arrives, whether visible or not, all that will fall will have done so usually in under an hour, then blow around everywhere just like dust does on the ground and roofs. However, rain can concentrate the fallout into localized 'hot spots' of much more intense radiation with no visible indication.

See it's not so bad after all!!! Things will get safer and safer as time passes by. We can handle this and overcome it folks, just don't panic or flip out. Handle this like civilized and organized adults, and help other people find safety and take precautions as well.

This radioactive fallout 'dust' is dangerous because it is emitting penetrating radiation energy (similar to x-ray's). This radiation (not the fallout dust) can go right through walls, roofs and protective clothing. Even if you manage not to inhale or ingest the dust, and keep it off your skin, hair, and clothes, and even if none gets inside your house, the radiation penetrating your home is still extremely dangerous, and can injure or kill you inside.

Radioactive fallout from a nuclear explosion, though very dangerous initially, loses its intensity quickly because it is giving off so much energy. For example, fallout emitting gamma ray radiation at a rate over 500 R/hr (fatal with one hour of exposure) shortly after an explosion, weakens to only 1/10th as strong 7 hours later. Two days later, it's only 1/100th as strong, or as deadly, as it was initially.

Within a few days this whole event will be downgraded to a level where we don't even have to worry about it. But right now, we need to take precautions asap!

That is really very good news, because our families can readily survive it IF we get them into a proper shelter to safely wait it out as it becomes less dangerous with every passing hour.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Or just find a vault

I dont think Id like radroach meat much though..
edit on 14-3-2011 by Question Fate because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I hope my OP is not too blocky, or over-packed with info. I fear that it will be too much for someone to sit down and dig through.

I hope that I have done the subject justice, albeit within a 5min splattering of external quotes and small additions from my own point of view.

This is the only thing I can do for you ATS. I can warn you of the danger, and give you a In-Depth and highly effective guide of information on how to avoid this danger.

There it is. I am sorry I cannot do more.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
If anyone has any questions or needs additional information please feel free to ask.

I do not know everything but with my sources and friends I can get you legit answers on anything about this topic you need to know. So just put up your Q's and we will get you the A's.

Also anyone with additional information that is not covered in this source guide please feel free to add it and I will star it and quote it to make sure it gets exposure.

Thanks everyone, and be safe!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them; the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." - Proverbs 22:3

I agree. With what could happen there is no such thing and not prepared enough. I am living in Germany right now and I am as prepared as possible. I don't have a vault or anything but if it happens here or the fallout reaches here my family and I are ready.

Thanks for your post OP

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

What precautions do you think we need to take on the East Coast of the USA? Do you think we will be getting any Radiation? Thankyou.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Nice guideline Stagged (thats star and flagged, tryin it out).

Have already C&P into Word for printing, gonna add it to the ole kit.

link   
awesome post star n flag

anyone about 2 years ago, on discoery or history channel, watch a show that showed how to survive a nuclear bomb in your city? the guy, was in a city, and talked about how if your a mile or 2 from the blast, and it hasnt gone off yet, to get down immedialty place hands n arms out or back of yuor head, open yuor mouth and blow the air outta yuor mouth til the wind from the blast has stopped..so yuor lungs dont explode. get up and immediatly seek an exit..yuo have about 15-20 minutes before the fallout. his example, he found an office building front doors still open. the idea is to get near the middle fo the building. near the roof and doors, can allow gamma rays ( nasty part of radiaiton) to pass into you.
radiaiton has 3 forms alpha, beta rays and gamma...gamma is the worst, becuase they easily pass through basically anything! that is why you need thickness of protection. in this case, he took file cabinets and placed em up agiasnt windows, doors..file cabinets that had LOADS of pacled paper in em. look for fresh clothing, water and food IMMEDIATLY. fresh cloths for if yuo have to go out after 3 or 4 days too roof or floor, for help, gotta go back in. select an area quickly fo stais away from fallout dust. use water imemdaitly over yuor head down, chuck the cloths your wearing and put new ones on, incase thiers any gamma ray dust in thier. leave em thier and consider that area of staors useless and unaproachable.
he also showed how too make a quick smoke SOS thingy with water and the chemicals found in those icce pockets, and newspaper. i rememebr him saying you shuld be safe for about 4 days..after that, msot of the gammays shuold have dispearsed into the air.
he alos showed how to hotwire a car incase you need quicker escape and time allows it. cant do it with todays cars n trucks i think. he used some 80's ford or something. feel the tailpipe..if its warm cosnoder it useless..EMI may and probably has fried the cars wiring and computer from the radiation when the bomb went off. if the car/truck was being used, electrical signals attracted the radiaiton more. yuo have abetter chance with a cold engine tha haasnt run in at least 24 hours.
god i wish it was on again!

link   

Originally posted by mutantgenius

What precautions do you think we need to take on the East Coast of the USA? Do you think we will be getting any Radiation? Thankyou.

Yes we need to prepare for this possibility.

I am in PA right now, and I am going to town today to get some essentials I do not currently have.

We need to be ready for anything, and this could happen again in the future no matter where you live or what nation etc. This is useful info all the time, and everyone needs to get things ready because disasters always happen.

For this particular possible event we need to be ready over here on the East Coast as well.

Information is key here, and we need to stay tuned to the news and find out what the radiation readings are on the West Coast of USA/Canada are today and tomorrow.

If there are no signs of significant radiological activity on the West coast within the next 3 days, than I would go ahead and call it safe on the East Coast.

Prepare either way. This is extremely important and potentially life-threatening. We won't know the facts about this until next week or next month. We must act now, today.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
ATS member Jude11 posted some nice information we can all use to keep on top of things.

Jude11's Thread
Please star and flag his thread. It's a winner.
Radiation Network Map USA

This link he/she provided is basically a map with radiological hazard levels depicted across the entire USA.
There is currently NO hazards listed.

But I will stay tuned and check in often to see what's going down.

In jude11's thread there is also a map for Japan available.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
THANKYOU O.P.for helping to keep some panic down here.

Next to: OMG "FREQUENCIES!!!!
"radioactivity"
seems to be the ultimate boogeyman Around here.
Can't see it...

Its dangerous.

Get some knowledge at least on the "on the shelf"; (books) don't rely on google( Even if you have computer power the 'net may not be maintained very long in a crisis); even if its just references sitting on a shelf ; you'll have time to "read it if you (I) spend less time farting around online with "Blossom good child; zeta reticulans" and "crystals"!.

If you don't have THE SURVIVAL BASICS COVERED:

This is a perfect time to talk to the spouse and setup some shelves in the basement and start building a water and food supply at least for a few weeks ;

Warm sleeping bag for each person.

d.c. or hand crank radio receiver

Long term no power/gravity- flow water filtering (I.e."Berkfeld big berkey"style...)
water filter;

White gas(coleman) camp stove/lanterns(spare mantels,globes, parts)

kerosene lanterns/spare wicks and Kerosene/coleman fuel");

back up kerosene heater for cold climates;(extra wicks and fuel bought in in sealed metal cans!), some form of power generation, rechargeable batteries for hand held devices (like radios/ flashlights.) and barterables.

batteries;matches; lighters tape;cord plastic sheeting in rolls; simple "useful" firearms (pump or double barrel 12ga is real hard to beat if you don't know whats "coming down the pike",.

"Firearms" is a topic for 6 or7 threads on its own.
edit on 14-3-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
awesome post star n flag

anyone about 2 years ago, on discoery or history channel, watch a show that showed how to survive a nuclear bomb in your city? the guy, was in a city, and talked about how if your a mile or 2 from the blast, and it hasnt gone off yet, to get down immedialty place hands n arms out or back of yuor head, open yuor mouth and blow the air outta yuor mouth til the wind from the blast has stopped..so yuor lungs dont explode. get up and immediatly seek an exit..yuo have about 15-20 minutes before the fallout. his example, he found an office building front doors still open. the idea is to get near the middle fo the building. near the roof and doors, can allow gamma rays ( nasty part of radiaiton) to pass into you.
radiaiton has 3 forms alpha, beta rays and gamma...gamma is the worst, becuase they easily pass through basically anything! that is why you need thickness of protection. in this case, he took file cabinets and placed em up agiasnt windows, doors..file cabinets that had LOADS of pacled paper in em. look for fresh clothing, water and food IMMEDIATLY. fresh cloths for if yuo have to go out after 3 or 4 days too roof or floor, for help, gotta go back in. select an area quickly fo stais away from fallout dust. use water imemdaitly over yuor head down, chuck the cloths your wearing and put new ones on, incase thiers any gamma ray dust in thier. leave em thier and consider that area of staors useless and unaproachable.
he also showed how too make a quick smoke SOS thingy with water and the chemicals found in those icce pockets, and newspaper. i rememebr him saying you shuld be safe for about 4 days..after that, msot of the gammays shuold have dispearsed into the air.
he alos showed how to hotwire a car incase you need quicker escape and time allows it. cant do it with todays cars n trucks i think. he used some 80's ford or something. feel the tailpipe..if its warm cosnoder it useless..EMI may and probably has fried the cars wiring and computer from the radiation when the bomb went off. if the car/truck was being used, electrical signals attracted the radiaiton more. yuo have abetter chance with a cold engine tha haasnt run in at least 24 hours.
god i wish it was on again!

dude:
( dudette?):
"Electrical signals do not attract radiation and "radiation" does not kill electronics.the Electromagnetic pulse released in the original BOMB burst kills electronics by overloading them.

Alpha particles are stopped by a sheet of paper

beta radiation only travel from a few milimeters in skin to a few meters through the air.

edited: I can't say "Gamma COULDN'T EVER show up in fallout..( i would think it would be very short lived though).
NUCLEAR WAR SURVIVAL SKILLS ( By Cresson kearny; " the book!"):

www.ki4u.com...

www.unitedstatesaction.com...

edit on 14-3-2011 by 46ACE because: EDITED

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

You listed the one book i was going to list; " Nuclear war survival skills" by Cresson H. Kearny has been one of my favorites, for it covers all aspects of nuclear survival, from water filtration to even constructing a home made rad counter; and they are all simple, expedient methods.

seeker

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Thank you so much Muzzleflash for posting this!! I was on my way to do so, but you actually saved me all the work.
S&F!

To everyone reading this thread! This document or manual may save your life!! Print it and keep a copy where you can get to it in a hurry. Planning is Key. Truly the best source for survival I have found in the last 2 years.

I pray none of us find ourselves in this situation, but we may and this info. may save your life.

ki4u

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Hi muzzle,
S & F for you for all the great info. I just had a similar conversation about this very topic. I have a basement to go to with the necesssary items, most of which you described, but my big worry is how do we breathe? I know you said not to worry about that but I'm thinking an oxygen tank would be really reassuring. Maybe I get a little claustophobic thinking about being underground...I envision it and I feel like I'm suffocating right now,

Aren't we 7,000 + miles from Japan? How realistic is it for us to be exposed to radiation from the fallout at that distance?
edit on 15-3-2011 by queenofsheba because: add line

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

can't seem to open your links, anyway as mostly stated, that potassium iodide helps with removal and thyroid protection from these radioactive elements, but is there more to protection from radiation sickness than just the thyroid as common ailment, is there other internal bodily cleansing needed as overall protection against such for greater alleviation to this kind of exposure being experienced.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
FanS
Considering the age of reactors around the world I would guess this thread will become more topical as time goes on...not to mention they are mostly built on fault lines..
seems like a GUARANTEE that this thread will become required reading.

Now the PTB aren't stupid they must have seen this coming
Now what do you think could be coming that makes them think this is OK?
What ever it is, that they expect it will save them from prosecution as well...

so...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I hope my OP is not too blocky, or over-packed with info. I fear that it will be too much for someone to sit down and dig through.

I hope that I have done the subject justice, albeit within a 5min splattering of external quotes and small additions from my own point of view.

This is the only thing I can do for you ATS. I can warn you of the danger, and give you a In-Depth and highly effective guide of information on how to avoid this danger.

There it is. I am sorry I cannot do more.

No man, it is very good!

I easily read through all of it, and wasnt bored at all. lol

Great infos! Thanks man, , much appreciated, & well done!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Oh,man,I was going to post that website,but you bet me to it.
Did you read the When an Ill Wind Blows From Afar from your source?
Goes into great detail about Japan and fallout.
S&F for you!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join