It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Second explosion at stricken Japan nuclear power plant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Second explosion at stricken Japan nuclear power plant

www.irishtimes.com

A second explosion has hit the Fukushima nuclear plant in north-eastern Japan further fueling the prospect of a major nuclear disaster as the country struggles to recover from the impact of last Friday’s massive earthquake and tsunami.

Government officials admitted yesterday that desperate attempts to prevent a reactor from going into meltdown at the Fukushima nuclear complex, about 350km northeast of Tokyo, are in danger of failing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Do not worry this is just a routine procedure, we are releasing steam to alleviate the pressure. Nothing to see here move on......

The US Seventh Fleet said it has moved its ships and aircraft away from the area after discovering low-level radioactive contamination.

I think this is about to get real scary! This reactor carries plutonium. Meltdown will be catastrophic for the Western united states.

-Kdial1

www.irishtimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 14-3-2011 by kdial1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-3-2011 by kdial1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
But I read in the other thread that they had cooled down the reactor and it was no longer an emergency

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Do not believe them, does that video of the second explosion look like it is under control? That explosion is HUGE!

Anyone have an estimate of the plume of that explosion?

The Russian media also told its citizens that Chernobyl was under control and look what happened.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

What is even more damning is this quote from the OP

The aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan was about 100 miles (160km) offshore when its instruments detected the radiation.

-Kdial1

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Would you look at the face of the reporter, too.

Sure, it is a little bit of feed delay, but there is a look of confusion and a little bit of horror in her eyes.

The smile gets wiped clean off.

This is bad, there is no denying that.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Look at what Tokyo Electric is saying about it:

At approximately 11:01am, an explosive sound followed by white smoke
occurred at the reactor building of the Unit 3. It was believed to be a
hydrogen explosion.

According to the parameter, it is estimated that the reactor containment
vessel remains intact. However, the status of the plant and the impact of
radioactive materials to the outside environment are presently under
investigation. (previously announced)

As of 12:00 am, 4 TEPCO employees and 2 workers of related companies have
sustained injuries (all of them are conscious) and ambulances are on
their way to care for them.

As of 11:44 am, the measured value of radiation dose near MP6 is 20μSv/h
and the radiation level remains stable.

TEPCO continues to take all measures to restore the safety and security
of the site and are monitoring the site's immediate surroundings.

www.tepco.co.jp...

An explosive sound?!?!?! Followed by white smoke?!?!

Come on!

That explosion was as big as the US's biggest conventional weapon (MOAB)

-Kdial1

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Excellent article about the possibility of a meltdown.

news.yahoo.com...

-Kdial1

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdial1
Excellent article about the possibility of a meltdown.

news.yahoo.com...

-Kdial1

That article suggest that there is much less concern of a meltdown of Chernobyl proportions due to lessons learned from that disaster in 1986. I don't think this article supports what you are trying to convey in this thread.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by surrealist

Touche, I am including all points of view on this and supporting articles. However my opinion and what I convey is that I feel a meltdown will occur.

-Kdial1

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

I am kind of freaked out about the radiation aspect of it..I have friends and family on the west coast of america, and I have no idea what this could do to them or their children, or my family, and my nieces and nephews. I would hate for them to get cancer or something worse because of this!! They should just evacuate the whole island, send them over here, or where ever they can go, but get them off they don't deserve this!!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
This is truly terrifying, if you look closely at the upper right corner of the 3rd reactor, there looks to be some sort of very short-lived compression bubble, It's intriguing, I will try to determine the cause and mechanics of this, but it certainly doesn'y look like an normal explosion, i.e. standard compression/decompression waveform.

being a civil engineering student, it looks almost like the effect that one witnesses in fluids experiencing a very low pressure, it looks almost like a large scale cavitation bubble, the bubble (of water vapour) is formed and instantly collapses, this is possible in this case as the hydrogen bursting from the encasement would react with the oxygen forming water, and during a low compression wave, cavitation may occur.

its a theory, if anyone else has insight or info on this, please post it.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by stygmartyrZA
This is truly terrifying, if you look closely at the upper right corner of the 3rd reactor, there looks to be some sort of very short-lived compression bubble, It's intriguing, I will try to determine the cause and mechanics of this, but it certainly doesn'y look like an normal explosion, i.e. standard compression/decompression waveform.

being a civil engineering student, it looks almost like the effect that one witnesses in fluids experiencing a very low pressure, it looks almost like a large scale cavitation bubble, the bubble (of water vapour) is formed and instantly collapses, this is possible in this case as the hydrogen bursting from the encasement would react with the oxygen forming water, and during a low compression wave, cavitation may occur.

If you look even closer you can see a huge slab of concrete? left of the explosion get blown hundreds of feet in the air.

Sorry I do not have more to add to the compression theory, but I see where you are going. Almost like it had sucked all of the oxygen out of the underground bunker. Now does that mean the explosion happened deeper within the power plant?

-Kdial1

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Just found out that the Fallout Map above is indeed fake. Can a Moderator please remove this.

DISCLAIMER: Australian Radiation Services is aware of information about radioactive contamination being spread from the Japanese nuclear reactor incident released under the ARS logo and name. We wish to be clear that this information has not originated from ARS and as such distance ourselves from any such misinformation.

www.australian-radiation-services.com.au...

-Kdial1

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Well the whole plant seems affected now, all three reactors.....

Fuel rods at the quake-hit Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant's No. 2 reactor were fully exposed at one point after its cooling functions failed, the plant operator said Monday, indicating the critical situation of the reactor's core beginning to melt due to overheating.

english.kyodonews.jp...

-Kdial1

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Meltdown alert at Japan reactor

The Fukushima Daiichi plant's operators said they could not rule out a fuel rod meltdown, after a cooling system broke.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

I say that map from the "Australian Radiation Services" and my bull$hit detector went off the map. Looks like my intution was correct.

DISCLAIMER: Australian Radiation Services is aware of information about radioactive contamination being spread from the Japanese nuclear reactor incident released under the ARS logo and name. We wish to be clear that this information has not originated from ARS and as such distance ourselves from any such misinformation.

The idea that venting steam from a light water reactor will expose people in Colorado with a 700 rad dose is beyond ludicrous.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike
reply to post by kdial1

I say that map from the "Australian Radiation Services" and my bull$hit detector went off the map. Looks like my intution was correct.

The idea that venting steam from a light water reactor will expose people in Colorado with a 700 rad dose is beyond ludicrous.

You're right in that the radiation intensity is disproportionate, however ignoring that, if you overlay that with the schematic showing the jet stream direction, it does give an indication of the path that any potential contaminants would follow, should they be present in large enough concentration. This I think, is the reason along with the blow up intensity that caused this image to go viral.
edit on 14/3/2011 by stygmartyrZA because: failed text position

edit on 14/3/2011 by stygmartyrZA because: typo

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdial1

Originally posted by stygmartyrZA

If you look even closer you can see a huge slab of concrete? left of the explosion get blown hundreds of feet in the air.

Sorry I do not have more to add to the compression theory, but I see where you are going. Almost like it had sucked all of the oxygen out of the underground bunker. Now does that mean the explosion happened deeper within the power plant?

-Kdial1

In hind site, I don't think a cavitation is what we are seeing here, I think the "bubble" is at one of the initial failure points in that hydrogen gas and the huge pressure contained within escaped there first, then after more areas on the structure failed, the large velocities set up, caused a large negative pressure which then sucked it back.

regarding a deeper explosion, I don't know how it would reflect on the depth of the explosion. Supposing that there is not a valley in the surrounding area and that the audio is accurate, there were 3 distinct explosions, Im not sure of the internal structure of this plant, but if the pressure from an outer "shell" were released, through an explosion, that would leave the shell beneath that with a far greater resultant pressure and thus resultant force, which would then cause that to fail, thus repeating until the forces are no longer sufficient to rupture any shell structure. The first explosion was visible, because it was an above-ground structure, however the following two are not visible in that there is no change in debris or smoke path, indicating that the latter 2 explosions were at a deeper (and more ominous) level.

eish

top topics

join