It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Do You Think God Should Act

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by AQuestion

Clearly you misunderstand...

If those feelings didn't exist in society, we would have a perfect world. If you think of God as everything and everyone, and those feelings didn't exist in God, they wouldn't exist in anyone.

Everyone would love each other of their own free will, because we would all understand that we are all part of the one which is God. There would be no wars, there would be no conflict. Our species would help one another without asking for anything in return. There would be no starving people in the world.

edit on 16-3-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

Sorry you are so sensitive. Actually, I didn't correct you, I discussed the consequences of your statements. You seem to now say that your perfect God would only have some emotions so that we wouldn't have hate in our heart. Your complaint is that we have harmful emotions and you don't allow for a God that would allow that, okay. The choices are simple, learn to control your emotions or reduce which ones you have.

That doesn't work for me. I am for learning to manage ourselves and our emotions, that is free will because free will requires the opportunity to do wrong. If we could only do right then we would have no free will, we would be limited, we would be like Adam and Eve, not knowing right from wrong. We would be children for eternity. By the way I don't have a problem with your answer I wanted to know what people wanted God to be. You want one that wouldn't allow for this universe to exist, therefore, I wouldn't expect you to believe in God. I just don't want to live in your universe where I cannot learn right from wrong and grow up to be a big boy, one that can make his own decisions and make the right ones.

I made it very clear in the beginning the question was to design your own God. It always comes down to free will. How many choices we are allowed by God is always at the center of the question. If you reduce are range of emotions than you reduce the number of choices that confront us and consequently, how much we can grow. I call it the Club Med God, the one where we can do anything we want and are catered to just like children. We cant get in trouble because anything other than right, we are all angels rather than people. I don't reject your belief in there being no God, I reject your belief in what God should be. And yes, this is a two way conversation, you really didn't think I would respond to answers? I think being human and being able to learn right from wrong is a pretty cool, test how far we can go rather than only accept the easy and comfortable. I don't like warning signs on everything, I am not afraid to make mistakes and that means I accept the unknown, pain and bad existing, they do.

Your underlying complaint is that there is wrong in the world. I understand that feeling, I don't want to be six forever and am willing to go through growing pains and making mistakes and having other people make mistakes. I don't like it when it happens; but, I move on. We can do that if we are not limited in our growth. If there were a God you would want him to be one that wouldn't allow this reality to exist, the reality we live in.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
If God were to exist, I would want him to be an all-loving, and all-knowing God. The Bible says that he is both of these things, but if you think about it, he can't be. If he were really all loving, he wouldn't send people to an eternal place of torture just for the mere fact that they don't buy into the hypocrisy that is Christianity. An all loving God that created man, would know of man's shortcomings that he built into them, and would not unjustly punish said man for a lifetime of "mistakes."

God would also intervene when a certain person, or group of persons, started misbehaving. By that I mean a Holocaust type of event. My god would already know what is in a person's heart, and would not allow the rape, murder, and all around mistreatment of one or many of his creations.

Obviously God's so called "love" for his people is not very strong. I can say with absolute certainty that I love my parents and sister, but if they did something to make me upset, I would not pour gasoline on them and light them on fire. I guess that kind of "love" is something only God can show.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Michelangelo
If God were to exist, I would want him to be an all-loving, and all-knowing God. The Bible says that he is both of these things, but if you think about it, he can't be. If he were really all loving, he wouldn't send people to an eternal place of torture just for the mere fact that they don't buy into the hypocrisy that is Christianity. An all loving God that created man, would know of man's shortcomings that he built into them, and would not unjustly punish said man for a lifetime of "mistakes."

God would also intervene when a certain person, or group of persons, started misbehaving. By that I mean a Holocaust type of event. My god would already know what is in a person's heart, and would not allow the rape, murder, and all around mistreatment of one or many of his creations.

Obviously God's so called "love" for his people is not very strong. I can say with absolute certainty that I love my parents and sister, but if they did something to make me upset, I would not pour gasoline on them and light them on fire. I guess that kind of "love" is something only God can show.

Where to start. You talk about the God of Christianity, that assumes that you believe the bible is accurate and God is exactly as it describes. You also make the mistake of saying he sends people to hell because they are imperfect, doesn't Christianity teach that we are all sinners and forgiven? Maybe you haven't read the new testament. I think it says we are all forgiven because Christ died for us, don't care what idiots claiming to be Christians say, read the book.

As for your parents and sister, you would allow them to kill and not correct them, you would not turn them in? Just asking. I mean to love you family and friends is easy everyone does that, love your enemies and you have proven how much love you have. That presumes that you have enemies, do you or does everyone love you and give you cookies. It says that God corrects the ones he loves, why do you think that is, it is because the ones that don't love him don't listen, too busy chasing cookies.

People do not go to hell for not believing in Christianity, you are listening to false Christians, not reading the word. It says that if you love God with all you heart and your neighbor as yourself then you are save. Loving God is about loving existence, loving your neighbor is about understanding that the jerk next to you is still learning and won't be a jerk forever.

Having said all that, you are off topic, my question was not whether or not there was a God, it was what type of God would you design, if you wish to start a thread on why God is jerk or doesn't exist then do so; but, my thread has a topic and you are off of it.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Where to start. You talk about the God of Christianity, that assumes that you believe the bible is accurate and God is exactly as it describes. You also make the mistake of saying he sends people to hell because they are imperfect, doesn't Christianity teach that we are all sinners and forgiven? Maybe you haven't read the new testament. I think it says we are all forgiven because Christ died for us, don't care what idiots claiming to be Christians say, read the book.

As for your parents and sister, you would allow them to kill and not correct them, you would not turn them in? Just asking. I mean to love you family and friends is easy everyone does that, love your enemies and you have proven how much love you have. That presumes that you have enemies, do you or does everyone love you and give you cookies. It says that God corrects the ones he loves, why do you think that is, it is because the ones that don't love him don't listen, too busy chasing cookies.

People do not go to hell for not believing in Christianity, you are listening to false Christians, not reading the word. It says that if you love God with all you heart and your neighbor as yourself then you are save. Loving God is about loving existence, loving your neighbor is about understanding that the jerk next to you is still learning and won't be a jerk forever.

Having said all that, you are off topic, my question was not whether or not there was a God, it was what type of God would you design, if you wish to start a thread on why God is jerk or doesn't exist then do so; but, my thread has a topic and you are off of it.

I was very much on topic. You asked what I would want from my God, and I said I would want him to love everyone and not send those that don't believe in him to live in a lake of fire for eternity. I understand the whole premise of all you have to do is have faith and you will go to heaven, but I do not have faith. I would say that I'm a pretty good guy. I do not have any real enemies, but I do love everyone, except for murderes and rapists. If god is going to send me to hell because I have not bought into the whole Christianity thing, then I guess I'll be spending eternity talking to a man with a goat head and a pitchfork.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Michelangelo

Originally posted by AQuestion

I was very much on topic. You asked what I would want from my God, and I said I would want him to love everyone and not send those that don't believe in him to live in a lake of fire for eternity. I understand the whole premise of all you have to do is have faith and you will go to heaven, but I do not have faith. I would say that I'm a pretty good guy. I do not have any real enemies, but I do love everyone, except for murderes and rapists. If god is going to send me to hell because I have not bought into the whole Christianity thing, then I guess I'll be spending eternity talking to a man with a goat head and a pitchfork.

I do not agree with the premise that all you have to believe in is Jesus to be saved. It says that even the devil knows who Jesus is. I believe you get to choose your destination and that you have to have the mind of Jesus to be saved, not know his name or believe he is the christ. His mind is to love God with all your heart and your neighbor as yourself. You mention you love everyone and then explain which you people you don't love, I guess you don't care if they get hurt.

You were off topic, you were trying to prove there was no God, plenty of threads on that, I said I don't care if you believe there is a God, I only asked what you wanted him to be like. I didn't ask if you believed in the God of the Christian bible, I didn't limit the question to that.

You say you are willing to go to hell if God only accepts you if you believer in Christianity, what if you only went to hell if you rejected loving everyone? Are you still willing to go?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join