It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Has Been Pummeled Time to Win

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Quakers

Just what the world needs, more substandard products at ridiculously inflated prices. The reason Japan has prospered is because they know a thing or two about design, engineering and most importantly quality standards. The reason the US has gone down the pan is because they wouldn't know quality if it smacked them around the face. All that would happen is you'd invest billions in manufacturing infrastructure then get your asses handed to you by China leaving you with just as few jobs and a whole lot more debt.

If China stops manipulating their currency which they claim they are going to do, the game opens back up. Yes, Americans got lazy with product quality and it eventually made those poor businesses fail and what is left are the manufacturers that know what they are doing and can manufacture a good product at a reasonable cost. As far as not having a skilled enough workforce, I don’t think that is true. I personally know about three very qualified (one phd level) engineers sitting on their butts right now because all the good jobs are taken.

stygmartyrZA

Their largest exports are automobiles and electronics, with 7 of the top 10 automobile companies based in Japan.

Based in Japan is the key. Toyota, Honda, and Nissan all operate manufacturing plants in the US. Maybe they will ramp up US operations and hire more employees. Also, most of the fuel efficient cars are made in Japan and production has been halted. Maybe people will buy into the Ford and Chevy Hybrids.

Chindogu

The jobs you speak of are not jobs that Americans excel at anymore. You no longer have the education to fill them. You demonize intellectuals on you most popular news programs on a daily basis. The Japanese respect their intellectuals and push themselves to reach lofty goals, they work harder than Americans as well.

That is last decades hocus pocus. Americans are quite capable and with the economy the way it is people just want to get out and work. Don’t sidestep American’s work ethic. I think if the jobs were there people would begin specializing in Engineering fields once again. The out flux of manufacturing jobs is what is to blame for the shortfall of Engineers in the US today. Lets bring em back!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I have nothing against stone cold business, but this goes a step to far. And as I stated before, Japan bring more money in as an ally than as a crippled and broken country....
Oh and hey! Good news for the heartless business man who like to make money over a crippled country:
It seems that THERE IS a radioactive leak, a big one. So enjoy all your quick and easy money and keep on ruining this world.

Good day.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SlyingFaucers

I will give you the first part....as to the second, I will somewhat agree.

North Americans have become complacent on having the government taking care of them, as a culture we have grown lazy (not all, but a significant portion) Yes, we need to regain the drive to innovate and create something that people around the world want.

If you had only reworded your title this thread could have progressed in a productive manner.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I was not going to post but I just had to tell the OP: "I think you are a huge deuchebag."

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Forget about China manipulating the currency - they've been doing that all along- nothing new.
You know why we are in trouble?
We got ourselves in trouble.
Living on credit(amongst other things).
Buying houses that were WAY overpriced because the realtors/contractors charged what they figured the traffic would bear and we fell for the gag without asking serious questions like, "Why in the hell does this house cost 300,000.00? It shouldn't cost THAT much! What the devil is going ON here?!"
We allowed our bankers (with tacit approval of the politicians) to rip us off big time, with our fingers crossed behind our backs, tongue in cheek hoping that our house of cards individually and collectively did not come down around our ears (which it did) while we were sitting slack-jawed watching some dumba&& reality show.
We need to stop blaming others.
You know what is going to get us out of it? OUR OWN INGENUITY.
Once we realize that the World does not revolve around us, understand that what is gone is gone, stop dumbing down our educational system and begin to strive for and expect greatness of ourselves and our countrymen, we will make it out of this.
If we continue to rest on whatever laurels we have an gripe about what was, we will never emerge from this and we can do this without literally or figuratively slaughtering each other or someone else.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Britguy

The whole premise of this thread is extremely flawed.
Any US corporation, seeing an opportunity to jump in and try to take up the industrial slack left by the situation in Japan, will most likely do so by offshoring production to Korea, China or India to take advantage of the cheap labour.
Same as a lot of US manufacturing has already been sent offshore.
Then there is the type of manufacturing. You don't just set up heavy engineering or precision manufacturing overnight, it takes time and money to build the plants, staff them and begin production to get the goods to market.

I dont know exactlywhat was taken out by the quake/tsunami. There must be some industry we could get up and running just as fast as them if not faster. That was my thought.

hp1229

All this starts at the top level (the management). With a leader like you who would like to capitalize at any cost, the middle management and workers will inherit the same attitude as the greeedy one at the top. Even Gordon Gecko will not go for this deal.

When GE was a thriving company Jack Welch used to fire the bottom performing 10% of the workforce each year. I don’t see what I am proposing as being greedy, but instead a way to adapt to the environment and gain a competitive advantage. Do you think GE would have continued to grow being complacent with the underperforming members of the workforce?

NoJoker13

Although people seem to have their "feelings" hurt by your post. This thought has already crossed my mind and if you people who cry this is "too soon" or "we don't need to be thinking about the economy right now", I'd like to ask you a question, ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FREAKING MINDS?!?!? Have you forgotten this planets motto is "survival of the fittest"?? And to answer the OP's question YES america will make some money off of this, I mean since when doesn't the USA capatalize off of another countries short comings?

Thank you. Thank you.

Everyone until page 9 i responded to received a star and i gave out a few others as well.

edit on 14-3-2011 by SlyingFaucers because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
There will be no recovery. Not by man's hands.
Care to see why?
Welcome to the depleted uranium blues
www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by lightdude

okay it seems someone has a personal issue with japan, sure everyone does bad things. look what we did to them in the past... but unless there is a change of heart somewhere, and not a thousand little you's running around this earth. we're gonna get NOWHERE

i say help anyone in need.

I dont think he hates Japan. I just think he has a businessman's mind.....climb the mountain, damn the torpedos.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Guys, there is no need to respond to this thread if you don't agree with the OP's topic. You guys should know better than this. Just treat it like any raciest, pro Nazi, or any other ignorant thread and just IGNORE the topic. Don't prolong a thread you can't stand.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlyingFaucers
I personally know about three very qualified (one phd level) engineers sitting on their butts right now because all the good jobs are taken.

Originally posted by SlyingFaucers Americans are quite capable and with the economy the way it is people just want to get out and work. Don’t sidestep American’s work ethic.

How do you reconcile these statements?

If they had the 'American Work Ethic', surely they would get jobs anyway rather than sitting on their butts?

It took me years of doing jobs I didn't like before I got the one I wanted. I wasn't going to sit on my butt (arse) and say "waah waah, there's no job for me, I'm too good to do anything else".

edit on 14-3-2011 by aorAki because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl12
Guys, there is no need to respond to this thread if you don't agree with the OP's topic. You guys should know better than this. Just treat it like any raciest, pro Nazi, or any other ignorant thread and just IGNORE the topic. Don't prolong a thread you can't stand.

Basically true.
However, agreeing or not agreeing with the topic is kind of beside the point here....people disagree with OPs all the time here. It was the way he presented the topic that was the issue. There are ways to make money in a disaster and there are ways to gouge people to make money in a disaster and he made no differentiation between the two when he opened the topic. Personally, i was just trying to figure out which one he was talking about.
He claims to be in his 20's...very often when one is that young they do not think before they speak and then are suprised when a Freak-Out happens..
I was there once (30 years ago, lol)

But I'm much better now

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzscapez
This is something Charlie Sheen would say.

That's very unfair to Mr. Sheen; he is donating one dollar for every ticket sale to Japan on his next tour. I thought that was interesting.

To the rest of you: if you haven't given money to Japan yet, you already owe them. They donate TONS of money during every single freakin' natural disaster. They were one of the top contributers to emergency aid for the Katrina victims.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

You could have come off a bit more gently to avoid being labeled "scum", "monster" "sick", "grow a soul" ETC. I applaud your business acumen. You do speak about the reality of the situation and reality does not wait for everything to be "all better" before it proceeds. Manufacturing would be a good place for you to start.

To all the attacks on you, I say, shame on them. Attacking you for being insensitive with equal amounts of insensitivity is hypocritical at best.

From Dictionary:
Insensitive: deficient in human sensibility, acuteness of feeling, or consideration; unfeeling; callous

I've seen a lot of that toward the OP!

Why is it so hard to understand that:
1) a person can feel empathy for the Japanese and the terrible situation that they are living.
2) a person can help as best they can through whatever means they have available, such as donating to charities.
3) A person can examine the disaster from a different perspective in regards to business related ideas.

.....All at the same time. The world is truly BLACK and WHITE to some people...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
The USA has always prospered off of the misery of some people, as do ALL nations

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
"Time to Win"... wow, just wow.

'It's just business' seems to be the theme some are trying to argue here... greed like this is what's destroying our planet and you want more. It's been said before in this thread, but it's exactly what I was thinking when I read some comments... there's a big dose of Karma coming to people who think and act like this, mark my words.

Money doesn't make you happy, the poorest people on the earth are also the happiest, many studies have proven this, your just brainwashed into thinking it does. I'm sure there are business opportunities out of this but doesn't make it right and now is a time to help Japan not take more away.

The survival of the fittest card has also been played in this thread... by this logic there will be one person left then, who's very fit, but also very lonely and in the possession of a worthless life. I bet you wouldn't use this motto if you were in need... leave him in the gutter, he's not fit enough.... please

Don't play on heart strings the goal of the thread was to revive american jobs.

Good luck with that....

This thread hurts my eyes.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by lightdude
reply to post by kimar

right on dude. i'm amazed at how quick and fluidly the japanese rescue crews moved to help their own people. I don't get how the OP can talk like this. if the people of Japan haven't lost enough... LETS TAKE THEIR JOBS

I don't think the Japanese media had an agenda to try and blame the guy in charge like the US media did after Nu Oleens flooded.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Well, I wouldn't get my hopes up. America is the worlds largest debtor. Worse than that, we are the only debtor allowed to print more money. The reasons for this are quite simple, the American dollar is the worlds reserve currency, but right now, we owe so much that if all Americans were taxed on 100% of their income, it wouldn't even cover the interest.....Thats a conservative estimate by the House budget committee. And I think you forget that Japan is one major importer of American goods and vice-versa. So, by that logic, American't capitalize of the misfortunes of Japan, because America doesn't have the capital to invest!!!

Consider that every company that was bailed out, their debt was GUARANTEED by the Federal government. Gee, wonder how long that will take? I bet within a year oil producers and others are going to start taking other currencies than the venerable US Dollar. wondering where one can come to this conclusion? See Britain's "Winter of Discontent".

Right now the Canadian Dollar (loonie) is worth 5 cents more than the US dollar and that margin is increasing. I must say, its a great time to be a Canadian.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by darius2025

Well if he can get away with it why can't I? He may be a douchebag but most of you are a bunch of titbags. Yes I feel sadness for the Japaneses people but you know what I have not shed a tear nor have I lost any sleep and neither have most of you. It's not like he said haha or that we shouldn't help them.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I wish all of you would stop the pissing contest over who gave what. I was in NOLA before and after Katrina Hit!! Not a damn one of the evacuees saw a cent of any of that donated money. FEMA did. The federal Government did. Louisiana received only a portion. At the end of the day, we did not care about money. We the people of Louisiana with the help of hundreds of Canadian volunteers, among others gave them something no amount of money could...Hope. I mention the Canadians only because when I was in N.O. Natchitoches, aside from my fellow Louisianians, I only saw Canadian vests and jackets.

If anyone would not give of their time and talents, if they were able to, to assist the victims, then keep your wallet and your mouth shut. Nobody wants your pity, guilty conscience, or whatever the case may be.

Just for the record, It wasn't Bush's fault, It was Ray Nagin's fault. He was told 3 days before it hit it was coming and New Orleans has an evac plan in place for such catastrophe, but he decided we could wait it out. Of course you wont hear that, but as a former resident, I know it.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I wish all of you would stop the pissing contest over who gave what. I was in NOLA before and after Katrina Hit!! Not a damn one of the evacuees saw a cent of any of that donated money. FEMA did. The federal Government did. Louisiana received only a portion. At the end of the day, we did not care about money. We the people of Louisiana with the help of hundreds of Canadian volunteers, among others gave them something no amount of money could...Hope. I mention the Canadians only because when I was in N.O. Natchitoches, aside from my fellow Louisianians, I only saw Canadian vests and jackets.

If anyone would not give of their time and talents, if they were able to, to assist the victims, then keep your wallet and your mouth shut. Nobody wants your pity, guilty conscience, or whatever the case may be.

Just for the record, It wasn't Bush's fault, It was Ray Nagin's fault. He was told 3 days before it hit it was coming and New Orleans has an evac plan in place for such catastrophe, but he decided we could wait it out. Of course you wont hear that, but as a former resident, I know it.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join