It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Committee Approves Banning Of Flag Burning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
An intersting piece of news from ABC:

WASHINGTON July 20, 2004 � A Senate panel approved a constitutional amendment Tuesday that would ban the burning of the American flag, but opponents of the measure say there's not enough support in the full, GOP-controlled Senate to push through a change to the Constitution. The Senate Judiciary Committee approved a one-line change to the Constitution "The Congress shall have power to prohibit the physical desecration of the flag of the United States" on an 11-7 vote, which pushes the issue to the full Senate.

News article

Unsurprisingly perhaps the Bush administration supports the flag-burning amendment, while John Kerry and John Edwards do not think the Constitution should be amended to add the banning of American flags.

Is it patriotic duty to ensure that the flag is kept untouched, or is it a limitation of free speech to ban the burning of a piece of cloth?

So what are your thoughts on this issue?

[edit on 20-7-2004 by rangeroftheeast]

[edit on 20-7-2004 by rangeroftheeast]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I would fully support this amendment it just disgusts me when people burn the flag I don't care if they make fun or don't like the president but to burn your own flag that is the lowest level.
I mean really what are showing disagreement off when you burn your flag? are you saying to the world hay look at us idiots we burn our own flag cuz we don't like America it should be a criminal offense.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
the flag is a symbol, just as burning a flag is a symbol also. to ban an act symbolic of discontent with america seems to be a violation of the right to free expression.

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
While I am a war veteran and have the utmost of respect for our flag, I can understand that the flag can mean different things to different people.

I can also see if some citizens may use it as a symbol of the government and burn it to show their displeasure with the government.

This is America and we are free to have and voice our opinions, and I believe that burning of the flag probably falls into this freedom.

I don't condone it but as an American I can understand why it occurs, and don't think that there should be an ammendment to prohibit it from happening.

There are much more important issues that face this country and I would much rather see our Congress work to solve substantive issues and do their job for the people.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
While I am a war veteran and have the utmost of respect for our flag, I can understand that the flag can mean different things to different people.

I can also see if some citizens may use it as a symbol of the government and burn it to show their displeasure with the government.

This is America and we are free to have and voice our opinions, and I believe that burning of the flag probably falls into this freedom.

I don't condone it but as an American I can understand why it occurs, and don't think that there should be an ammendment to prohibit it from happening.

There are much more important issues that face this country and I would much rather see our Congress work to solve substantive issues and do their job for the people.

I agree with you on this completely. While I, myself would never burn the flag, I can see why someone else would.
And I too wish Congress would work on more pressing and important issues than this. Proposing an amendment like this is simply a political ploy to rally those who agree with them.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
the flag is a symbol, just as burning a flag is a symbol also. to ban an act symbolic of discontent with america seems to be a violation of the right to free expression.

-koji K.

You are my hero, Koji K.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I'm a war veteran like JacKatMtn, and I agree with him. I joined the military to fight for freedom, including unpopular freedom of speech, not fight for laws to repress it.

EDIT: Political affiliations aside, Kerry, another war veteran, is against the ban. Is there a pattern developing?

[edit on 21-7-2004 by curme]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   

(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

from www.hospitality-1st.com...

So they are also prohibiting the process by which it is prefered and still taught to the best of my knowledge to dispose of the flag? Looks like again the politicians were a little quick in making a decision before thinking about it, not like thats a new thing. If they want to make a law regarding the use of the flag, how about they enforce this segmetn of the Flag Code...

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkin or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

If anything should be disrespectful I would think it would be the commercialization(sp?) of the flag and its use in every possible product under the sun just to make a few extra bucks.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
plain and simple, a guy ought to be able to burn the flag if he wants to, it is a fundamental right of free speech/expression. even as right wing as i am, i understand this important point.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   
GREAT! now what are we going to do on a saturday night! I just got a box of Stars & Stripes in for this weekend.

top topics

join