It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No NFL football in 2011, would that be good?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
By now we are all aware that the NFL has currently broken off labor talks with the NFLPA and that the player's association has de-certified. This move forced the owners(NFL) to lock-out the players. In turn that move forced the players to then file anti-trust lawsuits aginst the NFL. So basically it is now up to a judge to decide if the season will happen in 2011.

NFL.com Report
CBS NEWS Report
USATODAY.com Report

Now more than likely there will still be a season in 2011. Thus, making this thread virtually a moot point. But since there is a slight possiblity of not having a season this year, I would like to ask a question which I find really intriguing...

Would it be good for the USA to not have a NFL season in 2011/2012?

I realize that any answer to this is just speculation, but I have to admit that I am very interested at seeing other's opinions towards this topic. So what do you think? Nothining is out-of-bounds as long as it pertains to the discussion.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Yes, that would be good. Maybe the real football - soccer - will get more airtime.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by frozenspark

If it's the "real football" how come you hyponed it with the word "soccer" in the middle?

And now Hockey will get the recognition it deserves

edit on 14-3-2011 by LogicMan07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Yes, it'd be good but I doubt soccer or football/futbol will ever catch on in the U.S., even if the MSM attempts to condition people to like it. Wait a minute, didn't they try that with Beckham? It didn't work out.

For me, both sides are completely arrogant and this is the perfect time for the fans to voice their opinions because in the end, it's them that will get screwed. Simply put, this is a fight over our hard-earned money.

I used to like football but with all the ads, protection of certain players (Brady), Favre drama, and the softening up of the game, I can't stand it.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Good thing I fully support this....majority of people will have more time to prepare for Apocalypse and learn other things.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
The TPTB wont allow it to happen

sports are now what religion was to the middle ages, in entertainment and distraction for the general masses that is.

meh, people wouldn't leave the couch anyway

theres plenty more distractions to browse, wether on the tv or online.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
This rumor is like Brett Favre's retirement for the past decade. If you guys believe the powers that be will not put out sports food for the masses to consume and waste their time with, for a WHOLE season, then I got an elderly quarterback for sale, real cheap.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Quit watching the media which is trying to divert you with meaningless garbage like this. The NFL and the players will be back to negotiating very soon. I know a couple of players, one veteran and one active, who have no concerns. Believe me, both sides are in it for the money and will not jeopardize their chance to obtain it with a canceled season. Besides that, what will the masses be dumbed down with this Fall?
Try not to get caught up in trivial matters such as this. I never watch TV but was subjected to it this weekend at my mother in law's house watching basketball and could not believe the all out panic infused with this announcement. What a joke!!
edit on 14-3-2011 by goddesslovr88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Soccer will never be popular in the States because you cannot cram ads down people's throats every 5 minutes like you can with baseball and football. Soccer is just not good for business. It hurts to have 45 minutes of uninterrupted airtime.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
it would be bad for bars and restaurants. What would millions of fans do sunday's? NASCAR....some......soccer....nope, sorry (too different and too slow). They might show CFL, or AFL, but it's just not the same without the teams and players we know and love. Good job to the pack this year.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d9e59f90cdaf.jpg[/atsimg]

eta...sorry, hockey too, but i never know when it's on
the football schedule is key for ultimate brainwashing....every sunday at a certain time (like church)
edit on 14-3-2011 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by frozenspark

it also hurts my bladder to have 45 minutes of uninterrupted game time

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
it would be bad for bars and restaurants. What would millions of fans do sunday's? NASCAR....some......soccer....nope, sorry (too different and too slow). They might show CFL, or AFL, but it's just not the same without the teams and players we know and love. Good job to the pack this year.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d9e59f90cdaf.jpg[/atsimg]

This is more of the type answer I was looking for... Star for you. I too think in some ways it would be bad for the pockets of sportsbars and even employees of the NFL itself, Stadiums and teams. Alot of money to be lost in gambling and merchandising as well.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by LogicMan07

Guys Guys Guys....Its all about the parkour

And I wouldn't mind if football was gone. $5mil a game that you may or may not win? For 2 hours of playing? Cause thats worth it. NoNo, let firemen and policemen scrape by, you just catch that ball.

(If you can't tell, I dont care for football, along with many sports)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Maybe they will have backup players like in um 1987. Just your ole joe smoe off the street. Makes the season alot more fun.

As far as soccer goes, I've tried to watch it but I don't like the fact that you don't know when its gonna end. Isn't there like extra minutes after the clock runs out? In american football, lots of games come down to the wire and thats what keeps it exciting.

I don't really watch it anymore but I prefer american football. To each his own.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Personally I tend to think that TPTB will never let their biggest distractor fall to the wayside. Having said that though I still am interested in the effects of such a thing happening. Would it be good or bad to not have a season.

Think about all the feverish fans with nothing to cheer for. All these people whose attention will have to be swayed somewhere else. This could be a good thing. Possibly though this collective attention could just as easily be swayed in bad directions.

Think about it, what would voter turnout be if there is no season?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
If there is no football, it'll mean the Bears will FINALLY have a perfect season!

Seriously? Too much money at stake for it to be cancelled.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by chancemusky

they definitely make WAY too much money, but i really like watching it.

They should pay the guys like they do in golf.....performance only. do well, make money....not so good....poor house.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
No NFL would be a serious bummer. It would be like losing a best friend. Then again, my golf game would probably get much better.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
No NFL would be a good thing.

The removal of all sports that get treated as something more special and more important than everything that actually is special and important, Should be done away with.

Get rid of the NFL, the NBA, NASCAR, ALL of it...

Stop paying grown adults ridiculous amounts of money to PLAY GAMES.

That would go a long way towards actually providing food and water to the BILLIONS of People without it.

Oh, Im getting greedy now..
Just WATER for everyone would be a good start..

screw sports.
they are for the weak-minded.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

I watch sports and go to sports events, am I weak minded? Do elaborate.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join