It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsunami heading to South America?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
A couple of days ago there were reports that the tsunami that hit Japan was heading to South America. Shortly after this was announced, they said that Chile and Ecquador evacuated their countries. Does anyone know what happened with that tsunami? Is it still trying to hit different countries? Or has it died out for now?

Also, does anyone know if any other countries are having odd behavior? I heard that Russia was getting volcanoes when that 9.1 earthquake in Japan happened, but haven't heard anything else.

I apologize if this is in the wrong section, as I'm fairly new to this forum.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
hi there, i have lots of chilean & south american friends on facebook, none of them have seem perturbed beyond mention of the initial warning of the first tsunami the other day... it would have been all over my news feed if there had been major problems... they all seem fine
edit on 14/3/11 by pattonisit because: erm... mike patton

link   
reply to post by xHybr1dx

There was minimal damage from the tsunami as it did reach Central and South America. Some coastal areas did see six foot waves that flooded some streets, but little damage was done.

Within a few hours of the massive earthquake, two volcanoes in Russia simultaneously erupted. A few hours later another large volcano erupted in Indonesia. This all occurred on the day of the quake.

Today there are reports that a volcano erupted in Southern Japan.

There is a 70% chance of another 7.0+ quake occurring in Japan within the next three days.

edit on 13-3-2011 by goddesslovr88 because: (no reason given)

link   

The tsunami/s would have taken about 8 hours to get that far south, so I think (hope) the emergency is over for them.
edit on 13/3/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

They said it was a minimal wave and topped out at around 1-2 meters when it finally reached the S. Equator/ South Americas.

The tsunami that devastated parts of Japan managed to sidestep Latin America – saving the region from potential catastrophe. Ports and beaches were temporarily shut and islanders and coastal residents ordered to higher ground up and down Latin America's Pacific seaboard before the tsunami surge triggered by the 8.9-magnitude earthquake in Japan. There were few reported damages. By the time the tsunami waves traveled across the wide Pacific Ocean and into the southern hemisphere, only slightly higher waters than normal came ashore in Mexico, Honduras and Colombia, Ecuador's Galapagos Islands, Chile's Easter Island and Peru and Chile's mainlands. Waves as high as 6 feet (almost 2 meters) crashed into South America into early Saturday— in some cases sending the Pacific surging into streets — after coastal dwellers rushed to close ports and schools and evacuated several hundred thousand people. Major evacuations were ordered in Ecuador and Chile, where hundreds of thousands of people moved out of low-lying coastal areas. After the devastating tsunami that Chile suffered following its major quake just over a year ago, authorities weren't taking any chances. Read more: latino.foxnews.com...

Here's the link for the full article...
MSM Source

But, you were absolutely right about the hundreds of thousands of people who evacuated.

Correa said earlier that the 242,000 people who were evacuated from low-lying areas, most of them on the mainland, would be kept on higher ground until officials determined it was safe. Chile also evacuated hundreds of thousands from areas vulnerable to coastal flooding, and refused to let residents go home even when the tsunami clearly lost steam. With last year's 524 quake- and tsunami-related deaths weighing heavily on everyone's minds, Interior Minister Rodrigo Hinzpeter insisted on "prudence." Read more: latino.foxnews.com...

Let's hope it's all over...

Namaste

~the Doc

new topics

top topics

join