It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S.O.S.--scareware keeps attacking me today, I WILL REIMBURSE/COMPENSATE---S.O.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Good Evening,

I have defender pro 15-1 and malware bytes on my vista laptop. 2ghz, 160gb hdd.

i update daily and usually scan nightly, however for the last 12 hours i have been continually battling virus pop-ups known as SCAREWARE. it is so aggravating!! i keep deep system scanning on def-pro and malware bytes. all day and it keeps popping back up (different ones) within an hour online. the last scareware was a false AVG and the website was --topbabystoys.co.cc--

wtf!! can i do about this? i have my "stuff" set right, security set at medium, keep going through tedious procedure and removing threat only to have it happen again!!

if someone could please help i would appreciate it greatly. if there is a GURU who could help me personally i will u2u phone number, send a little western union thank you, whatever>>

im going nuts over this.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I'm sorry this might not sound too helpful but something similar happened to me with fake avg and windows security pop ups two years ago. Its what made me switch to linux and I have never looked back to windows.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
When all else fails, I usually scan the drive from a USB enclosure, using another PC.
This, most of the time gets around the 'file is in use' problem.
Hope that helps.
edit on 13-3-2011 by Illegal Alien because: detail

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by rebeldog

hi,try- spybot- works for me, free download.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebeldog
Security set at medium.

Well then set it to high...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebeldog
Good Evening,

I have defender pro 15-1 and malware bytes on my vista laptop. 2ghz, 160gb hdd.

i update daily and usually scan nightly, however for the last 12 hours i have been continually battling virus pop-ups known as SCAREWARE. it is so aggravating!! i keep deep system scanning on def-pro and malware bytes. all day and it keeps popping back up (different ones) within an hour online. the last scareware was a false AVG and the website was --topbabystoys.co.cc--

wtf!! can i do about this? i have my "stuff" set right, security set at medium, keep going through tedious procedure and removing threat only to have it happen again!!

if someone could please help i would appreciate it greatly. if there is a GURU who could help me personally i will u2u phone number, send a little western union thank you, whatever>>

im going nuts over this.

Vista you say... I would do a simple system restore

Here: pcsupport.about.com...

As for me I use microsoft security essentials and AVG

Perhaps you should avoid those "inappropriate" links as they tend to do these things to one's computer

I hope that helps out

Edit: This sounds like and internet "redirection". If it only happens on "certain" sites then I suggest avoiding those sites (find new ones
). If it keeps happening then go ahead a do the system restore.
edit on 13-3-2011 by Elzon because: Another suggestion added

edit on 13-3-2011 by Elzon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Reboot your computer in safe mode then run an update on defender pro and malwarebytes. once updates are complete do full scans on both. I believe you have a malware virus. and sometimes they suck to get rid of. iIf you have a second computer do a google search of the pop-up name and there will be direct directions on how to get rid of it.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
See this thread at bleepingcomputer.com Download tdsskiller and extract. Update your Antivirus and MBAM. Reboot in safe mode (repeatedly tap F8 key when computer starts to boot) Run full system scans with AV and MBAM then run the tdsskiller. It should take care of the little beasties.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
just curious, what browser are you using?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by survivalstation
See this thread at bleepingcomputer.com Download tdsskiller and extract. Update your Antivirus and MBAM. Reboot in safe mode (repeatedly tap F8 key when computer starts to boot) Run full system scans with AV and MBAM then run the tdsskiller. It should take care of the little beasties.

Yes, I was working on a clients computer just the other day that had a recurring redirect virus, but after I ran TDSSKILLER, the problem went away.

The computer could go directly to a web site, but if you did a google search, and clicked on a link, you were going somewhere else, other than what you wanted.

It didn't matter that Malwarebytes scanned, the problem just came back. Malwarebytes is quite a tool, but didn't completely help me in this case.

I recommend what survivalstation suggested.

The funny thing is that in this particular instance of my customer's, I thought I would be clever and use Google Chrome, the redirect virus ended up doing the same thing on Chrome.

Troy
edit on 23-3-2011 by cybertroy because: added another sentence

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
First, it would be good to know what Operating system your using (XP, Vista, Win7), and what Internet browser (IE6, IE7, IE8,IE9, Firefox, Chrome) etc.

malware, is generally not really easy to get rid of, but I would try the following:

1) goto control panel and add/remove programs and remove all the junk, toolbars, weatherbug etc. if something
looks fishes google it.

2)create a new user account, and a new "admin" account, use the "admin" account to clean the computer.
once you have it clean, then logon with the "user" account, the "user" account should not have any admin rights.

3)try and update, all your anti virus, and anti malware software. then boot to safe mode, and run FULL scans.

try using Microsofts msrt:
www.microsoft.com...

Macaffe:
www.mcafee.com...

baring that, backup your data and do a restore/reinstall..

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DisturbedToo
Reboot your computer in safe mode then run an update on defender pro and malwarebytes. once updates are complete do full scans on both. I believe you have a malware virus. and sometimes they suck to get rid of. iIf you have a second computer do a google search of the pop-up name and there will be direct directions on how to get rid of it.

+1 from me.
I too had a redirect bug and had to go through the motions to get rid of it.
I use Avast! antivirus, Advanced System Care pro, CCleaner, spybot, and Mawarebytes in my arsenal.
Booting in safemode and running your scan stuff should help you get it.
I also advocate googling the redirect to see what others have to say.

good luck

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
JUST REMOVE ALL THAT SOFTWARE CRAP THAT YOU ARE TRYTING TO DEFEND YOUR PC WITH

AND INSTALL

NOD32

GET IT AT FILEHIPPO.COM

THERE IS NOTHIGN BETTER ....ANYWHERE... IT WILL CLEAN UP YOUR PC

top topics

join