It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Refined Sugar Conspiracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Look at the labels of the foods and drinks you consume, you'll see sugar added to almost all of them. Even things that you wouldn't think would need them, and those that have plenty of their own natural sugar, like fruit drinks for instance.

Why would this be a conspiracy? Well because refined sugar makes us weaker. It messes with our bodies, our immune systems, the way our brains work, it can cause all types of problems, and it just seems clear that there's another agenda going on here. I don't think this is some far out conspiracy, it appears to be very real.

A few quotes to think about :

Refined sugar as a vitamin vampire :

Refined sugar is void of all nutrients, consequently it causes the body to deplete its own stores of various vitamins, minerals and enzymes. If sugar consumption is continued, an over-acid condition results, and more minerals are needed from deep in the body to correct the imbalance. If the body is lacking the nutrients used to metabolize sugar, it will not be able to properly handle and rid itself of the poisonous residues. These wastes accumulate through the brain and nervous system, which speeds up cellular death. The bloodstream becomes over-loaded with waste products and symptoms of carbonic poisoning result.

Refined sugar as a drug :

Dr. David Reuben, author of Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Nutrition says, “…white refined sugar-is not a food. It is a pure chemical extracted from plant sources, purer in fact than coc aine, which it resembles in many ways. Its true name is sucrose and its chemical formula is C12H22O11.

And finally the effects of refined sugar on the neurological processes :

One of the keys to orderly brain function is glutamic acid, and this compound is found in many vegetables. When sugar is consumed, the bacteria in the intestines, which manufacture B vitamin complexes, begin to die-these bacteria normally thrive in a symbiotic relationship with the human body. When the B vitamin complex level declines, the glutamic acid (normally transformed into “go” “no-go” directive neural enzymes by the B vitamins) is not processed and sleepiness occurs, as well as a decreased ability for short-term memory function and numerical calculative abilities. The removal of B vitamins when foods are “processed” makes the situation even more tenuous.

Each quote is from this page : macrobiotics.co.uk...

This seems to be a serious problem, mainly because they add it to almost everything, and the thing that gets me the most is about what I said earlier : they add it to things that don't need it. So many foods and drinks have plenty of natural sugars that just make the addition of extra sugar nonsensical. I'd seriously suggest checking the labels of your foods, and while not wanting you to go into tin-foil hat mode, just have a look at where it's placed in the ingredients list, which should give you a good idea of the percentage contained, and then have a think about the health of yourselves and your families. There's just something sinister about this that makes me think there's a lot more to it than we realise.
edit on 13-3-2011 by Hitoshura because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Considering that simple carbohydrate structures like maltodextrin, fructose, etc, spike insulin which causes insulin resistance and leads to obesity because of HORMONE issues it causes, I wouldn't be suprised if there was a conspiracy to fatten us up. Larger, hungrier people eat more food. More revenue.

S+F.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
It may not be nutritional, but it does taste good. I think thats why they use it so much

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Ok there J.R. reel them horses back into there stable ... you need to do a little restating in your research....
1.) our bodies need sugar....
2.) your talking about processed sugars .. redefine your statements....
3.) the really bad sugar is High Fructose corn syrup...
4.) there are tons of threads on this already do a search.....

your really saying nothing new ...... thanks any way....

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ramble
Ok there J.R. reel them horses back into there stable ... you need to do a little restating in your research....

Sorry if you read the thread from the off, but I edited to make it clear I was talking about refined sugar. And I did check but there's no thread specifically about refined sugar that I could see. Our bodies don't need refined sugar, but I guess you read before I'd edited to add refined several times.

edit : Just had a further look and I think you're saying that processed corn syrups are used more for foods, etc? I've got hours to edit so I can still add processed in too. I'm fine with being wrong in parts and then editing, just want the thread to be as useful as possible.

edit 2 : isn't 'processed syrup' refined sugar anyway?
edit on 13-3-2011 by Hitoshura because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ramble

I think you are the one who needs to do the researching...

Yes our bodies need sugar and guess where we should get that sugar? From fruits and healthy carbs that naturally break down into glucose or in other words sugar.

High fructose corn syrup is bad but so is ANY form of refined sugar and there is no reason to consume refined sugars because we do not need that in our diets.

You say there are countless threads on this but it seems you did not learn a thing from them.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
S&F

I know its bad, but its soooo GOOD!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
S&F

I know its bad, but its soooo GOOD!!!

I know, I have the problem daily because I've liked cups of tea with two sugars for years. I do feel better and more chilled out though when I drink it without for a while, and am constantly trying to cut it right down after reading up on the problems it causes.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
(Edit) disregard this post as it seems you are or / have "refined" yours.

Ummmmm, professional Diabetic here,.... ...
I think maybe you are confusing High Fructose Corn Death with sugar?
Sugar is fine for most normally funtioning bodies, HFCS is not fine for any body.
Sugar is hard to find in a lot of US products, really go look i'll wait.
edit on 13-3-2011 by g146541 because: To refine my post.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Hitoshura

There is a conspiracy, I'll give you a hint.

Look up corn subsidies and find out where all the corn sugar is going.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Will do that later, thanks!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hitoshura

Refined sugar is void of all nutrients, consequently it causes the body to deplete its own stores of various vitamins, minerals and enzymes. If sugar consumption is continued, an over-acid condition results, and more minerals are needed from deep in the body to correct the imbalance. If the body is lacking the nutrients used to metabolize sugar, it will not be able to properly handle and rid itself of the poisonous residues. These wastes accumulate through the brain and nervous system, which speeds up cellular death. The bloodstream becomes over-loaded with waste products and symptoms of carbonic poisoning result.

This seems a lot like Maltodextrin.

I've cut a lot of things out of my diet, that being one of them. I try to stay away from refined sugar and anything with high fructose corn syrup but the sh!t is in everything.

Time to eat organic!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Sugar is hard to find in a lot of US products, really go look i'll wait

Are you kidding?

Sugar is in just about everything now, really go look for things that don't contain sugar that are processed I'll wait.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

Are you confusing sugar with HFCS?
Or are you in another country than the US?
Cuz here in the US HFCS rules the roost, it is cheaper and sweeter.
There are a few holdouts that actually use granulated form of sugar, those are generally the older brands that will not compromise family recipe.
But if you are considering HFCS as sugar then yes, it is in everything.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

The bottom line is, as long as you are getting all the vitamins, minerals and enzymes your body needs, Then you really dont have to worry about your suger intake. And dont forget daily exercise.

And i am so happy to see pepsi bring back old pepsi with real suger. Now all they need to do is bring back long neck bottles.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by russ1969

The bottom line is, as long as you are getting all the vitamins, minerals and enzymes your body needs, Then you really dont have to worry about your suger intake. And dont forget daily exercise.

Agreed that it might be fine as long as your body can cover it with enough vitamins and minerals, but it looks like the refined sugar is just needlessly sapping away at those stores, so without it you don't have to stock up on them nearly as much, and you save your body the problems of dealing with it. There's probably other neurological and physical things that might get at you even if you've got enough vits/mins too, but I don't enough about it to be sure.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I've been trying to avoid HFCS for awhile now. I've felt so much healthier and seen weight just melt off, along with being a lot less tired. I recommend everyone try to keep it out of their diet.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
To follow up on this :

Originally posted by boncho

Have a had a look and found some decent info :

From grist.org, titled "Corn subsidies make unhealthy food choices the rational ones"

A big reason that food products derived from corn are so pervasive in America's diet today is that for decades taxpayers have given corn growers incentives to grow as much as possible through the skewed federal farm subsidy system. The $73.8 billion lavished on corn since 1995 has helped to churn out a host of cheap and unhealthy foods -- from chips to sugary sodas to high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS).

Hold on: Make that "corn sugar." With consumers souring on HFCS, the Corn Refiners Association has embarked on a re-branding effort

And on the way that the money is distributed among growers of various foods :

One important thing for consumers to note is that in 2009, $15.4 billion in subsidies were lavished on the growers of corn, cotton, rice, wheat, and soybeans. In that same year, fruits, vegetables, and organics received only $825 million in support from the federal government.

Link : www.grist.org...

If you dig around from there via the links in that article you can find a lot more information too.

So basically the market is just being flooded with crap food from all angles, and most foods by far contain this junk. There's even sugar in the brown bread I've got at the moment. Brown bread! With sugar in it. There's not too many brown breads that have that problem as far as I can remember, but have got Kingsmill I think, and they decided to sweeten it up a bit...

On the problem this is causing kids with their school meals. This area makes my blood boil, and I don't even have kids :

Many public school districts operate on a shoestring budget, and the cheaper, unhealthful foods laden with sugar and hydrogenated fats have become staples of school lunch programs. For many low-income children school lunches offer the only meal some kids eat all day. As we know, a diet heavy with saturated fats and refined sugars has helped create a national pandemic of childhood obesity and diabetes.

Link : www.ewg.org...

Will probably search around more in the near future and see what else I can find. I want to start checking on europe next I think and see more of how things are working over here. Oh and one final stat that I think is shocking :

In 2009, transgenic maize (corn.) was grown commercially in 11 countries, including the United States (where 85% of the maize crop was genetically modified), Brazil (36% GM), Argentina (83% GM), South Africa (57% GM), Canada (84% GM), the Philippines (19% GM) and Spain (20% GM).

en.wikipedia.org...

It's not enough to fill our foods with crappy sugar dontcha know, it's gotta be gm too.

edit - two links I just found about this :

Check out the infographic here for more : civileats.com...

Found via grist on this page, which goes into more detail about it : www.grist.org...
edit on 7-4-2011 by Hitoshura because: added image

top topics

join