It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Analysis of Sample From 'Miraculous' Stairs in Santa Fe Found Unknown Species of Wood

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
There is an article on the Snopes site about the stairs that say the legend is false. The wood is spruce. And it does have a center support because the inner wood stringer has such as narrow radius, it acts almost like a solid pole. Also the outer stringer is connected to one of the columns that supports the loft. So it apparently is not such a mystery; however, it is a very beautiful staircase.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I did not see the phrase "unknown species of wood" in there. If that were the case though I wonder if there are many unknown species of wood.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

It is known for its unusual helix shaped spiral staircase (the "Miraculous Stair"), an exceptional work created by French carpenter Francois-Jean "Frenchy" Rochas. The stairs are now considered too unsafe for regular use.

So, It was built by a normal man, who's name is well known, not a 'mysterious stranger'. And the stairs are too unsafe for regular use. Not so miraculous then.

Amazing how facts are ignored and/or twisted on ATS.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Oh my god YODA built it...eeehhmmm,it was the way I built it,it was.?
Truly astounding and classically wild western looking,ole clint can be seen shootin from the hip yer folks...yehaa !

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
soaking wood in water

Soaking Soaking is self explanatory. Submerging a piece of wood into water allows the wood fibers to absorb water and expand. This makes the wood piece floppy and able to be bent cold. This method also is less damaging to the wood during the bending than other methods. Soaking has one drawback. Soaked wood will not hold its shape once bent as heated wood does. Once a piece is soaked and bend it must be form fitted and secured onto a mold. If a soaked piece of wood were to ever be released from this mold it would become straight again.

I am sure for sure but I bet he soaked he wood to.bend for the staircase and as it dried the tention increased in the suspension giving it strength.
edit on 14-3-2011 by sirjunlegun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
These stairs were built by St. Joseph. St. Joseph answered their prayers.
St. Joseph has answered many prayers for my family and I am devoted to him.

This Saturday March 19th is the Feast day for St. Joseph.

Here is the prayer if you would like help from St. Joseph...It is 1500 Years OLD! And it has many promises attached to those who have FAITH!

This prayer was found in the year 50A.D. In 1505 it was sent from the Pope to Emperor Charles, when he was going into battle. Whoever shall read this prayer or hear it, or keep it about themselves, shall never die a sudden death or be drowned, nor shall poison take effect on them; neither shall they fall into the hands of the enemy, or shall be burned in any fire or shall be overpowered in any battle.

Say for nine mornings in a row for anything you may desire. It has never been known to fail.

"Oh, St. Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the throne of God. I place in you all my interests and desires. Oh, St. Joseph, do assist me by your powerful intercession, and obtain for me from your divine Son all spiritual blessings, through Jesus Christ, our Lord. So that, having engaged here below your heavenly power, I may offer my thanksgiving and homage to the most loving of Fathers.

Oh, St. Joseph, I never weary of contemplating you, and Jesus asleep in your arms; I dare not approach while He reposes near your heart. Press Him in my name and kiss His fine head for me and ask him to return the Kiss when I draw my dying breath. St. Joseph, Patron of departing souls - Pray for me."

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
also the staircase has exactly 33 steps. the age at which jesus christ was believed to have died at.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by AnnieMaine

You know snopes isn't a "tell all final word" site right?

It is run by a husband and wife team - that's right, no big office of investigators and researchers, no team of lawyers. It's just a mom-and-pop operation that began as a hobby. David and Barbara Mikkelson in the San Fernando Valley of California started the website about 13 years ago and they have no formal background or experience in investigative research.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by audio assasin
a gray-haired man came to the convent with a donkey and a tool chest

nice job wish we ha more gray haired men with donkeys kicking around need some jobs done my self

There is an alternative theory...

Juan Valdez could have built it.

If the story that one ATSer posted about the church losing funding is true, than I think rationality would conclude that the story was a means to find new funding for the church as opposed to a miracle. Which is all to common in this area of 'business'. AKA: The God business.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
amazing! whoever this master builder was he was a corner stone to that church, and a master carpenter indeed!.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Several years ago while on a family vacation we stopped in Santa Fe for a couple of days and the Loreto Chapel was one site we visited. These stairs are even more lovely when seen in person. My personal theory is that the builder was simply someone with years of wood-working and carpentry experience who believed he had sins to atone for and built the stairs to do so. When he was finished he walked away without taking payment for that reason. Whether or not I believe that he actually had to atone for sins is a whole other kettle of fish, but, hey, there are some aspects of patriarchal religions that sometimes wind up doing good for somebody.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

It is said that one of the choir members would sing during the old man's work, that she was enchanted by the old man. She would feed, water and brush his donkey for him. After a while, they had formed somewhat of a bond, much like father to daughter. She would make him meals and bring him water. After a while, the old man would drop hints about his previous travels, his former life.

He told her he had been a crewman aboard a whaler. One day, in his youth, "A very long time ago," his ship had been caught in a terrible storm. It was swept far into the Arctic. For weeks the crew fed off the carcass and blubber of their last take, sprinkling it with lemon juice to prevent scurvey. Still, many of the crew died, and only a dozen men were left. The northern lights filled the sky, and like a dream, "Angles descended upon us and saved us." He awakened in a land of tropical flora and fauna under a sky of hazy orange, all the while with the aurora glowing above.

Over the course of building the stairs, he continued his account to the choir girl's delight. Apparently, he had stayed for quite a long time in this land, meeting exotic people, some even had blue skin. According to the man, he lived in this land for over 100 years. And then there was some disturbance and he and his friends were told that they must either remain in the land permanently or be returned home. While he loved this new place, he missed his home dearly, his family. He surely outlived everyone he knew, but maybe he could track down his descendants. He decided to leave, along with four others.

The blue people helped the men construct a small, seaworthy vessel from local wood and assisted them with navigation. Suddenly, strong sea currents brought them into a place where it was hard to distinguish sky from sea, and then they were once again in the Arctic waters. Before long, they happened upon a larger fishing ship that took them aboard and towed their vessel home.

Each of the four men wanted some reminder of the mysterious land, and dismantled the vessel. The old man took his wood and returned home, perhaps to use some of it to build a home. He discovered that his family had either died or moved away. He said something about having tracked a great granddaughter to the very church in which he was constructing the stairway with the last of the wood from his fantastic journey.

The man eventually completed the stair and thanked the choir lady for her kindness. He bid her farewell and gave her a gold ring that housed a vibrant jewel. She kissed him on the cheek and wished him good journey. Upon a feeling, she asked her mother if they had any missing relatives. Her mother told her that the family rarely spoke of it, her grandfather had gone missing. The choir lady asked her excitedly, "Was he aboard a whaling ship?" The mother's eyes widened in confirmation.

The wood is from a species from the wondrous land that the old man spent nearly a century within. As far as the jewel goes, upon the choir lady's death, an heir had succumbed to gamgling and was forced to sell it to preserve his life. It is said that the Smithsonian Institute bought the jewel to include in a (then) upcoming display of exotic gems. But, it was never included because of the controversial nature of the vibrant jewel's origins. Much like the Hope Diamond, this jewel emitted a slight glow. However, unlike the Hope Diamond, this jewel glowed independent of any external light source.

Well, that's the tale. The wood, from my conclusions based on this tale would have originated from lands within the Hollow Earth. But, we all *know* the Earth isn't hollow, right? I mean, that would be sheer nonsense...?

edit on 14-3-2011 by GhostLancer because: Typo

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by GhostLancer

Well, that's the tale. The wood, from my conclusions based on this tale would have originated from lands within the Hollow Earth. But, we all *know* the Earth isn't hollow, right? I mean, that would be sheer nonsense...?

Well, if the hollow earth isn't sheer nonsense than the idea of mysterious spruce trees growing inside of a place with no light source surely is....

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Project-Sign

I have not twisted anything, I was just relaying a story that I read and then copied the title to make it the title here.

I'm not quite understanding how we are twisting facts here when all I did was quote a news story.

Pred...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
also the staircase has exactly 33 steps. the age at which jesus christ was believed to have died at.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Also interesting to me is that the staircase resembles DNA structure, and 33 is considered by some, a magical number, it is also the number of vertabrae we have in our spine.

Also interesting to note... In numerology terms many hold 33 as the highest of the master numbers and represents "Christ Consciousness" or the Ultimate Attainment.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I must admit, the workmanship is very well done but an unknown species of wood? The chances of that are highly unlikely. There isn't a lot of wood species out there and i think it's safe to say that we know them all. Perhaps it's some kind of sub-species or just really old and the composition has changed due to humidity or some kind of chemical process. Of course this is just my personall theory.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by GhostLancer

Well, if the hollow earth isn't sheer nonsense than the idea of mysterious spruce trees growing inside of a place with no light source surely is....

Not that I'm an advocate of Hollow Earth Theory, but if you do some research on it, you'll discover that there is a light source. One theory states that there is a micro-star or miniature sun inside the center of the hollow earth. Another states that we do have a molten core, but that it is suspended in the direct center of the hollow earth, gravity keeping it from falling in any direction. Another theory states that there is some kind of plasma-electrical interaction going on in the center (the supposed source of the aurora borealis).

Either way, the fact that the wood is from an unknown species says that it had to have grown someWHERE, and trees usually grow in clusters. It seems perfectly legit for the wood to have come from a tree that was part of a grove from the hollow earth.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Wow this is amazing work.
How do they get wood to bend like that??

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
i would imagine these stairs were built on bed,board and this mans obvious love of his craft.
leave a straight plank of timber out in the rain and it is sure to pull one way or another giving
a good indication of how best to soak and bend the piece for stability of form.
this man obviously knew his trade intricately enough to use the grains and faults in wood
to his advantage for the required product.
hats off to him , much respect.
i wouldn't fancy paying the price of that staircase built to that quality today and i imagine it
would still of reflected it's value when it was first built.

not really directed at anybody, just my 2pence worth.

edit on 14/3/11 by vince_convinced because: typo :/

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Well they know it's a type of spruce, but have no category for a subspecies.
edit on 14-3-2011 by ResearchMan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join